Just a reminder for those with a spare tire

07 Boss

Reaction score
I always thought the that little tire in the trunk was supposed to be used at the drag strip for the front. I always wondered where the other one was at.

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
Heading back home from Chicago on a Sunday evening around 7:30 PM. I hit something in the road. Sounded like a license plate. Thought I might be alright, and then the low tire pressure light came on. Luckily I was able to pull over. Mind you, I am not even 1 mile into Indiana on 80/94 heading east with a metric shit ton of traffic, and the sun setting quickly. Luckily I am a AAA member so I called and used their roadside assistance. Sure, I can change the spare on my own, no problem. My issue was that the car was over 4 years old and I was pretty sure the flat would have been useless with little to no air in it.

8UJgLtm.png

Now, this tire/wheel was completely shot. I knew that just by looking at it. The TPMS was shot due to the huge impact. It ripped the damn tire apart. Sunday night in Indiana, and there are absolutely 0 tire shops open. No way I was risking damaging the spare. I asked the guy who came out if it should go on the front and he said no just leave it on the back. It is a pretty beefy spare compared to the donuts that I am used to seeing. Absolutely nerve wracking to drive on the highway with it for almost 200 miles. Made it though, and the gas mileage in a Coyote can reach into the 40's if you are in 6th gear with the cruise on at 52 mph.

Phil1098

Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^

This is why I brought this up. I know spare tires aren't exciting, they aren't for me either. This story reminds me of when I rode motorcycles. I wore full gear (1 piece leather road race suit with armor, road race boots, gloves, full face helmet, etc.) and on a 90 degree day I would have people roll down windows at stop lights and say "aren't you hot in all that" and I would say "yep". My belief was this, if I knew the day I was going to crash, I wouldn't go riding that day. Since I have two balls and neither one are crystal, I had to be prepared.

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
My car didn't come with a spare, but with that inflators thingy .... Sometimes I think about putting a spare back there, just for peace of mind

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back