Custom High Pressure Line

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Per Flapjack's comments, this might be something of interest to you guys. I have been fighting leaks at the pump since I bought my car 2.5 years ago, and FINALLY stopped it with this line. It seems he's been fighting it for awhile and like me, has considered the Flaming River rack.

I had a reputable line shop, that also produces a lot of stuff for NASCAR, make these lines as they're local to me and have done fantastic work in the past. I installed it Wednesday night and haven't had any leaks yet.

The end result, with a full-length anti-abrasion sleeve:
PSHose001_zps3b1488da.jpg

With abrasion sleeve retracted:
PSHose002_zps1c9cbefd.jpg

Close-up of the rack end:
PSHose003_zps08ad9c88.jpg

I used this fitting at the pump, and it seems to be holding with some red RTV and tightening the sh*t out of it. I am investigating better options as a side-by-side comparison shows there are noteworthy differences between the Russell piece and the OE one. I will take a picture later to illustrate.

Last edited:

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
It definitely is. There are only two issues:
1) I may end up having to have a fitting made for the pump side. The Russell one doesn't give me happy feerings.
2) The line, because it's their higher-pressure product line, is quite stiff. It took a bit of maneuvering to get it in place. Feels solid though, and still isn't leaking.

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
Tracked the car at Carolina Motorsports Park this weekend...no leaks. WIN!

2Fass240us

forum member
Reaction score
It definitely is. There are only two issues:
1) I may end up having to have a fitting made for the pump side. The Russell one doesn't give me happy feerings.
I met with a machine shop a few weeks ago to start work on this. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Hey man... any updates? I'm in the middle of putting my car back together, so it'd be nice to address while I already have everything torn apart.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Words cannot express how much I hate the power steering pump and lines on the S197. I have honestly thought of getting a 2011+ Mustang for no other reason than to never have to mess with that piece of shit pump again.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You can get the electric steering rack and mount it on ours. Lito was doing it iirc

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
You have to have an extra brace added to the k member for the 3rd bolt hole. And some wiring done. Just look up litos post I'm pretty sure he showed all it takes

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back