swflastang05's build thread

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
subbed - about to start my own build. love reading this stuff!

Yea me too!

Those are awfully beautiful! I don't think they'll work, but I have something they will work in :).

All jokes aside, back orders do suck but their all worth it. Did you get rings, etc to go with it or do you have to get those yet?

I ordered the rings with the pistons back in April, they came in a few days after I ordered them! Plasma Moly file fit from ModMax / ProPower.

I dropped everything off at the machine shop today. They had some crazy stuff in there, here's one motor they're working on:

It goes in something like this:

Turns out they only work on Ford Modmotors, Chevy LS's and these crazy blown big blocks for the offshore race boats! I guess I feel comfortable they can do my machine work! Now the waiting game has begun...

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Today I plugged the VCT grommets in my valve covers with Dorman expansion plugs #565-093 (painted black yesterday before the install).

Also my 07+ style coolant crossover tube was delivered today. My car is an 05, I decided to switch to the 07+ style to clean up the engine bay a bit and also for more blower belt clearance. Newer style on the bottom.

Nothing too exciting to work on while everything is at the machine shop..

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
Today I plugged the VCT grommets in my valve covers with Dorman expansion plugs #565-093 (painted black yesterday before the install).

Also my 07+ style coolant crossover tube was delivered today. My car is an 05, I decided to switch to the 07+ style to clean up the engine bay a bit and also for more blower belt clearance. Newer style on the bottom.

Nothing too exciting to work on while everything is at the machine shop..

So glad I saw the crossover picture, I have an 06 with the old style crossover and the motor I picked up was an 08 so I got the new style, my question is have you gotten your upper and lower hoses yet? I haven't started looking, but I know most are pretty pricey.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
^^ yes I ordered both hoses on ebay, got the upper for $25 shipped and the lower for $60 shipped. The upper was delivered today along with the t-stat housing that wasn't supposed to come with the crossover tube but did, so now I have an extra one! Not that I'm complaining but..

BeachMonkey100

forum member
Reaction score
^^ yes I ordered both hoses on ebay, got the upper for $25 shipped and the lower for $60 shipped. The upper was delivered today along with the t-stat housing that wasn't supposed to come with the crossover tube but did, so now I have an extra one! Not that I'm complaining but..

lol good call! keep it, might never know when you might need it.. always my quote. but then again I also do have a shop full of stuff I'll probably never use.

I need to look around on the interwebs and see what deals I can find, I found I think a goodyear set for like 75 bucks or so. I can't remember where. which brand did you get? (not that it really matters) I just know that some companies make the bottom all one piece and others 3 piece for the Y

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I got all OEM ford stuff.

lol good call! keep it, might never know when you might need it.. always my quote. but then again I also do have a shop full of stuff I'll probably never use.

I need to look around on the interwebs and see what deals I can find, I found I think a goodyear set for like 75 bucks or so. I can't remember where. which brand did you get? (not that it really matters) I just know that some companies make the bottom all one piece and others 3 piece for the Y

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Update, all my parts are still at the machine shop! No surprise there, seems like all machine shops take forever and a day! Hopefully I'll get everything back in the next week or so. In the meantime a few more parts were delivered.

I decided to go with new 1-3/4" headers and 3" O/R X pipe all Kooks connected to 3" cat back Magnaflow's for true 3" all the way back.

Installed my new lockouts today too. One of the long bolts broke though due to over torquing, argh! Does anyone know where to get another long bolt? I'll pay for anyone that has an extra! My old cam phasers are the old style, completely different bolts...

Also deburred and modestly polished the inside of my new GT500 oil pan. Can't hurt right!

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
I may have an extra long bolt. I'll let you know tomorrow. I have some brand new phasers that I unsprung on accident. Collecti dust.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Thought I would resurrect this thread with an update. All parts are still at the machine shop arghh! Supposedly everything will be ready next week. Figures I'll be out of town then so it will have to wait until I get back. In the meantime I decided to go with a return style fuel system and ordered everything from Jeremy at S&H. The kit was delivered this week and I installed it as much as possible tonight. Wasn't bad at all installation wise. Time to wait some more now...

GT500 dual pump kit FS in the classified section.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread again.. back from vacation and finally got all my parts back from the machine shop!

After giving everything a good scrub I installed the new oil galley plugs

Checked all the main bearing clearances, all right at .0020.

Crank shaft end play is about .007. Well within spec.

Finally placed the crank shaft into its new home and torqued everything down for the final time (hopefully).

Next I get to hang the pistons onto the rods and manually file fit the rings, gaps will be set at .025.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Finally making some progress with "real" work getting done, this is right up until I effed up two of my second groove rings, freakin things cut like a stick of butter! Now I gotta make some calls first thing in the am to get replacements. Otherwise moving right along.

PTW is spot on so far right at .004

three pistons in, six more to go!

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Finally making some progress with "real" work getting done, this is right up until I effed up two of my second groove rings, freakin things cut like a stick of butter! Now I gotta make some calls first thing in the am to get replacements. Otherwise moving right along.

PTW is spot on so far right at .004

three pistons in, six more to go!

Using the stretch gauge method for rod bolt torque, seems to be working pretty good so far. I found the ARP 2000 bolts stretch out to spec .0058-.0062 right at 66 ft lbs.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
After some stressful moments I finally got everything back together this weekend and ready to go back in my car, other than the balancer. I don't have the tool for that but was going to try it without then after looking at it today I decided not to risk effing it up. I'll have to figure out a way to get the proper tool either borrow one or make one, etc. Otherwise here's some highlights from this weekend.

I had to tear the back four pistons/rods back out due to a side clearance issue, upon close inspection I found 3 of the four rods had burrs on them like this!

Got it the short block back together, ready for the heads.

Degreeing in my cams, I only have one solid lifter so I had to do it one at a time. A tip for others though, if you're gonna do it one at a time start with the Left / Driver Side since it's the back chain and you won't have to R&R again to do the other cam.

cams done!

rear cover install

All done! other than the balancer...

Last edited:

isthatguy

forum member
Reaction score
When putting a motor back together. Do you have to use that cam degree tool? Or can you just use the timing marks on the cams?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Looks good!

isthatguy, It's not necessary. I've done it once out of 4 times and didn't adjust anything.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Thanks. After tearing my garage apart for an hour looking for two missing timing cover bolts I finally realized they're part of the blower bracket! I knew I didn't lose them! Bracket installed, hopefully my new blower will arrive this week.

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
Wow!!! Awesome!!!

Now catch up!!! I got the motor in the car, wiring all done (meaning connected), and I am about to install the transmission. lol

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
lol! I'm trying but I gotta recruit an extra pair of hands to help put my motor back in the car. Also after running all around town (again) today looking for an M12 x 1.50 threaded rod with no luck I gave up and bit the bullet, went ahead and ordered the OTC balancer installation tool.. it will be a couple days before that gets here and I definitely don't want to fight that while the motor's in the car so you'll be starting your new motor before I start mine! I still have some fab work to do after the motor goes in too including welding my new bypass valve and BOV into the pre-intercooler plumbing and some exhaust welding so I'm probably still a few weeks out. Good luck finishing yours though!

AutoXRacer

forum member
Reaction score
You don't need help dropping in that motor... I did it by myself Saturday night!! lol

I won't be starting mine this week...need to get two new O2 sensors, oil dipstick tube, and figure out something with my driver side fuel rail. sigh

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back