AutoBlip Review (In Progress)

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
I came across this one day while looking through the internets on proper heel-toe techniques. I thought it was definitely a cool product for any make or model with ETC and a manual transmission. My interest was sparked again a month or so ago when there was a thread that popped up with aftermarket pedals to actually make heel-toe easier. I eventually came across the guys over on the Boss forums who raved about it and how it helped their lap times, etc. It's a pretty good read over there.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=msudfafe59542qqcnosm48gu45&topic=4435.0

http://auto-blip.com/index.php?route=common/home

A quick overview of what the AutoBlip is:

Product Overview

The AUTO-BLiP is a new patent pending electronic device that will automatically blip (open) the throttle when downshifting gears on an automobile equipped with a manual transmission and an electronic throttle control (ETC) or throttle-by-wire system. AUTO-BLiP works by monitoring your automobile’s accelerator pedal position sensor (TPPS), brake pedal, and clutch pedal, and only blips the throttle when both brake and clutch pedals are pressed simultaneously. AUTO-BLiP reduces mechanical wear and tear on manual transmissions, improves vehicle stability when downshifting gears, and eliminates the need for the heel-and-toe driving technique.

Features

-Simple connection to your vehicle’s existing sensors. The AUTO-BLiP connects directly to your vehicles throttle pedal position sensor (TPPS), brake pedal switch, and clutch safety interlock switch.
-On-the-fly tuning capability made easy via the two face plate mounted dials. By simply turning the dial labeled “DURATION”, the user is able to set the desirable RPM blip level. The “DELAY” dial allows for the addition of a constant time delay from the time a downshift event is sensed to when the unit generates the throttle blip event.
-Simple one-time calibration routine for easy interface to your vehicle’s OEM sensors. Once AUTO-BLiP has been properly installed to your vehicle, a six step calibration routine allows it to learn your vehicle’s throttle, brake, and clutch configuration.
-Four LEDs display the unit’s functional status. The AUTO-BLiP provides the user with a simple and easy to view status of the brake pedal, clutch pedal, and blip events.
-On/Off button mode. By simply toggling the On/Off face plate mounted button, the unit will toggle between the active blip mode and a bypass low power mode.
-One unit fits all automobiles. This allows installation of the same AUTO-BLiP unit on multiple vehicles. Simply follow the calibration routine for the new vehicle and you’ll be ready to go. Note: some vehicles may require additional accessories
-Will not interfere with your vehicles on-board diagnostics. The AUTO-BLiP has been designed to work with your vehicle’s OEM electronics without causing any engine fault codes
-Auto power down mode. The AUTO-BLiP will automatically go into bypass low power mode after 6 hours inactivity.

Obviously everyone knows about heel-toe but not everyone can do it or do it correctly, every time and be consistent. After reading reviews and watching some videos, it seems this would be a nice option to have for the 07'. After talking with Andres, the owner, it seems it would be no issue and he would only have to add 1 additional gas pedal wire tap as the 05-09(10?) has 3 APPS (Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor) while the 11-14 have only 2. Thanks to Andres for finding and sending the APPS schematic to me without me even asking about it. He was very prompt and detailed with his responses. Says a lot about someone and their business.

Now for the 11-14 guys its been documented so there is an install guide but for the 05-09 there isn't. Andres did let me know there was one other shop that did it but did not document the install. Basically, really you can follow the 11-13 guide as it's pretty much the same you just have to tap into the correct colored wire for your year. The clutch and brake was fairly simple to figure out and having the throttle schematic made it super easy. The hardest part is being on your back, underneath the dash trying to reach up and actually tapping the wires. I actually trimmed back a lot of the tape and wire loom to make things easier for tapping. I'll be sure to post up the correct wires to tap into soon.

I haven't been able to take it out to the track just yet but it's so simple and yet works so well. Great thing is you can simply turn it off with a push of a button and everything functions as normal when your on the street. The next track day in May is when I'll be really testing this thing out. I'll be sure to post up how things go then.

166botg.jpg

I have a base model car so I figured this would be a great, within arm's reach location.
rhsebk.jpg

Testing after tapping into the pedals. Luckily I got it all right after the first try. Was pretty proud of myself. :2ndplace:

Last edited:

SlowJim

forum member
Reaction score
I saw that thread a few weeks ago but lost interest when I realized it only works when both brake and clutch are depressed. Won't help if you are just engine braking, which I do quite a bit (on the street) to conserve brake pads and try to cut down on dust.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
I saw that thread a few weeks ago but lost interest when I realized it only works when both brake and clutch are depressed. Won't help if you are just engine braking, which I do quite a bit (on the street) to conserve brake pads and try to cut down on dust.

My exact thoughts as well though on the track it could be useful. There has never really been a "heel-Toe" technique, its always been "however you get it done" thing. Individual body mechanics and coordination differ for everybody.

They even differ between different cars. I spent last weekend driving my brother's E30 on the track and the pedals where completely different then on my mustang and took me an entire track session to feel out how to properly heel-toe his car.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score

My exact thoughts as well though on the track it could be useful. There has never really been a "heel-Toe" technique, its always been "however you get it done" thing. Individual body mechanics and coordination differ for everybody.

They even differ between different cars. I spent last weekend driving my brother's E30 on the track and the pedals where completely different then on my mustang and took me an entire track session to feel out how to properly heel-toe his car.

Definitely agree with both. Funny enough I've actually started getting better with engine braking like mentioned. On the street it works pretty well but doesn't really merits its use. As we all know the speeds that we do on the street are very different then on the track.

I can admit that I am very much an amateur to driving a stick. This is my first manual. I am however very proud of the fact I've only killed it 3 times in the couple of months I've owned it. :driver: The couple of times I've been out to NOLA for their Mustang Experience, I would always clutch in on the turn because I wasn't comfortable with downshifting right before the turn so I would hold it til the car was straightened out. I'm pretty sure that's not what your supposed to do.. lol

We shall see how it works out on the track for me, videos online have proven this is definitely great at what it does. Just have to see how well it works for me and my setup.

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely agree with both. Funny enough I've actually started getting better with engine braking like mentioned. On the street it works pretty well but doesn't really merits its use. As we all know the speeds that we do on the street are very different then on the track.

I can admit that I am very much an amateur to driving a stick. This is my first manual. I am however very proud of the fact I've only killed it 3 times in the couple of months I've owned it. :driver: The couple of times I've been out to NOLA for their Mustang Experience, I would always clutch in on the turn because I wasn't comfortable with downshifting right before the turn so I would hold it til the car was straightened out. I'm pretty sure that's not what your supposed to do.. lol

We shall see how it works out on the track for me, videos online have proven this is definitely great at what it does. Just have to see how well it works for me and my setup.

CLUTCH IN DURING A TURN

Yeah don't do that. When the clutch is in, you can't use the gas. At all. Both slow and dangerous. You've got synchros.....use them!

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
The couple of times I've been out to NOLA for their Mustang Experience, I would always clutch in on the turn because I wasn't comfortable with downshifting right before the turn so I would hold it til the car was straightened out. I'm pretty sure that's not what your supposed to do.. lol

Yeah don't do that. When the clutch is in, you can't use the gas. At all. Both slow and dangerous. You've got synchros.....use them!

Yeah, do not do that at all!! I visited that track back in March when I was in New Orleans on a long weekend. Given the level of driving experience you have stated, I am surprised they didn't have an instructor in the car with you. But then again, given how the IndyCar race went maybe I shouldn't surprised about how things are done at that race track.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, do not do that at all!! I visited that track back in March when I was in New Orleans on a long weekend. Given the level of driving experience you have stated, I am surprised they didn't have an instructor in the car with you. But then again, given how the IndyCar race went maybe I shouldn't surprised about how things are done at that race track.

When it comes to the Mustang Experience they don't have a driving instructor sit with you unless it's your first time driving a manual and/or request one. Even then they may not have the staff for it. I've also done a couple of open track days back when I had the 5.0 so I'm not entirely new to this.

claudermilk

Reaction score
But then again, given how the IndyCar race went maybe I shouldn't surprised about how things are done at that race track.

:yaoface:

Coasting around the turn is not how it's supposed to be done indeed. Practice getting down to the correct gear before turning in. It sounds like taking your time & getting some basics down. Right now, practice hell/toe every time you're in the car everywhere you drive. Soon it will become second nature.

tigercrazy718

Reaction score

I've run there 3 times with NASA, and that is about the only way to do it if you need an instructor (all 3 times were fantastic). I'm surprised they didn't automatically put an instructor in for that Mustang Experience though, that is quite a bit of car for a novice or even intermediate. They must not have a full time instructor there.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
I've run there 3 times with NASA, and that is about the only way to do it if you need an instructor (all 3 times were fantastic). I'm surprised they didn't automatically put an instructor in for that Mustang Experience though, that is quite a bit of car for a novice or even intermediate. They must not have a full time instructor there.

I definitely agree with this. I've done the Mustang Experience 3 times now and am as much surprised as yall are. It is a lot of car but I guess because your staying in a follow the leader formation, keeping speeds relatively low they figure there's no need for one. Granted the 2nd time I did it one of the instructors said I needed to slow down. Come on man...It's a race car! lol It's funny. Each time I've done it there's always the same 2 instructors. The "slow/follow the rules to a T" one and then there's the "fun" one.:driver: Don't get me wrong, it's a great program and the class and instructors are great along with the cars and track.

Speedfreak

forum member
Reaction score
Yea the price is a little up there. Especially when you see how small the thing is but it is a nicely built product and works.

BTW love Alloy Mustangs!

I love the color grey & alloy grey looks amazing on the Mustang! Just completed a GT500 front fascia install. Looks even better now :happythumbs:

Mark Aubele

forum member
Reaction score
Neat idea, I guess, but why not just learn how to properly heel toe downshift? Seems like such an important skill to learn a product like this just seems lazy to me, takes away half the fun.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Mark - ever watch 'Jurassic Park'?

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
The OE's let this genie out of the bottle, initially most likely just so that their DSG's wouldn't keep turning their innards into little metal chips.

Norm

zquez

Death Dealer
Reaction score
Mark - ever watch 'Jurassic Park'?

The OE's let this genie out of the bottle, initially most likely just so that their DSG's wouldn't keep turning their innards into little metal chips.

Norm

Somebody was watching AMC today..

ArizonaGT

Road Course Member
Reaction score
There are a bunch of guys on BossMustangsOnline that use the product on-track and really like it.

I don't use it, but it could be helpful if you don't already know how to heel-toe.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back