2012 V6 build+dealer warranty ?

12Mustangs197

Reaction score
Hi, to start off i'm 24 y.o and I bought a 2012 V6 stang as my first car a couple years ago. The dealership warranty and loan term is over in 8 months so I figure its now time to start planning and saving for an aftermarket build. I went with the V6 at the time because i could not affort the insurance on the GT as well as the added expense for gas. Now i'm in a position to either build this car out or trade it in for a 15-16 GT. The 12 V6 has 46k miles and will be paid off and unwarrantied while the GT will likely be new from the dealership with some kind of warranty (which means no fun stuff right away) what i'm wondering is would it make sense for me to build the car I already have and make it a wicked V6? If so where can I find some of the beat V6 builds and can point me in the right direction or will I be more happy trading in the V6 and get the 5.0? Sorry if this post is redundant thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

Last edited:

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Hi, to start off i'm 24 y.o and I bought a 2012 V6 stang as my first car a couple years ago. The dealership warranty and loan term is over in 8 months so I figure its now time to start planning and saving for an aftermarket build. I went with the V6 at the time because i could not affort the insurance on the GT as well as the added expense for gas. Now i'm in a position to either build this car out or trade it in for a 15-16 GT. The 12 V6 has 46k miles and will be paid off and unwarrantied while the GT will likely be new from the dealership with some kind of warranty (which means no fun stuff right away) what i'm wondering is would it make sense for me to build the car I already have and make it a wicked V6? If so where can I find some of the beat V6 builds and can point me in the right direction or will I be more happy trading in the V6 and get the 5.0? Sorry if this post is redundant thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

I'd finish off the loan and trade for a new GT. The GT will always be worth more, your payments will be similar putting the entire V6 down as trade, and speaking from experience, any "build" will not increase the value of the car. Plus a V6 with a ton of miles and most likely some kind of FI as you're talking will be pretty undesirable in the long run. If you can afford it, shop a nice 2016 GT, enjoy the warranty and don't rag it.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
...or....think about a nice used S197 GT Coyote. Similar to what you have now inside, with the magnificent Coyote motor, for pennies on the dollar compared to a new GT. Sell your V6 privately and walk onto a dealer lot with cash in hand. Bet you get the GT for not much more than you get for your V6, as prices have been pushed down on the S197 GTs due to the new car being out.

When I wrecked my 2012 GT in Sept. I had to make a decision similar. I could go with the new 15 GT, which I really liked or stick with the S197, that I also loved. In the end, I found the price point of the 15s unpalatable and I found a beautiful super low mile Premium S197 2014 for the same money the insurance company gave me for the 2012 so, I went with that and I've been really happy since.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Dave your slacking. It's still in tech. Lol

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Dave your slacking. It's still in tech. Lol

I was waiting for someone to come in and ball bust!!

But seriously, the used coyote plan is a good one, just try to pay cash for it. IE a used car loan has way higher rates than a new car loan, harder to get etc etc. But if you sell the sixxer private party and pay full on the coyote you can get a deal.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I would not put a dime into the sixxer. Even if you turbo it, supercharge it, whatever, at the end of the day, you will always be able to get more power from a V8. If that's your goal, of course.

A lot can be said about driving a car that's paid for. So if you are attached to your sixxer, I'd say keep it a while, save some dough, and when you're ready, sell it and get a GT.

Plus, dat V8 sound, doe...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
FWIW I saw a 2012 3.7 with a P1SC Procharger on it in the shop that was doing the work. It easily made 450rwhp. The motor is stout, I'm quite certain it would of handled more boost.

450rwhp is no joke, it's well over 500hp. In fact, it's more than the stock 2007-2009 GT500 made. At least the ones I saw on the same dyno, they usually topped out around 440, one only made 410.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back