Upgrade sway bars?

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
If by "beast," you mean "unsafe and failure-prone," then yes.

And "torqued to spec"? Find me some torque specs in Whiteline instructions. You won't.

And sure, you can argue that it was "just a bolt." (Except I've had bolts fail on both the LCA jam nuts and the sway bar.) But Whiteline's lack of customer support makes it even worse.

Fuck Whiteline.

http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z8004A.pdf
https://whitelineperformance.com/amfile/file/download/file_id/360/product_id/284/

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow, they finally figured out how to use a torque wrench. Neither of their sway bars list torque specs. Their original LCA design (which was also changed because suck) didn't have torque specs either.

I'm pretty sure if you had multiple failures from a single company who then told you to go pound sand, you'd be pretty pissed off at them too and rant incoherently on the Internet any time they were mentioned.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
It looks like you closed your eyes and took a half inch air impact to those sway bar U bolts. Fasteners don't fail in that fashion without some form of improper install.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score

And "torqued to spec"? Find me some torque specs in Whiteline instructions. You won't.

And sure, you can argue that it was "just a bolt." (Except I've had bolts fail on both the LCA jam nuts and the sway bar.) But Whiteline's lack of customer support makes it even worse.

Fuck Whiteline.

Did you contact Whiteline directly with your issues? Your statement is completely 180deg from any and all support I have received from them. In fact you are the first person I have came across that has said that be it contacting them about an issue or support. All instructions I got with all of my parts had torque specs in them and that was like 5 years ago.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It looks like you closed your eyes and took a half inch air impact to those sway bar U bolts. Fasteners don't fail in that fashion without some form of improper install.

Nope, tightened by hand using a 3/8" ratchet. There are no torque specs on the instructions. I simply tightened the bolts until they were tight.

EDIT: No torque specs:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z5238.pdf

Yes, I contacted Whiteline. They admitted it was a failed part and would not send me a new one, even when I offered to pay.

Now you see why I'm pissed?

Last edited:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Nope, tightened by hand using a 3/8" ratchet. There are no torque specs on the instructions. I simply tightened the bolts until they were tight.

EDIT: No torque specs:
http://www.whiteline.com.au/docs/install_guides/Z5238.pdf

Yes, I contacted Whiteline. They admitted it was a failed part and would not send me a new one, even when I offered to pay.

Now you see why I'm pissed?

I can understand but that does not sound like them especially from all of the dealings I have had with them and their reps. If you offer to buy a part and them not sell it to you...

frank s

at Play
Reaction score
I've had the H&R non-adjustable 26mm rear bar, in combination with the Steeda 1-3/8 3-hole adjustable front bar*, on two convertibles and two GT coupes. In all cases the improvement in perceived stability and controllability was/is remarkable. Excellent quality from both manufacturers, no fitment problems other than an intolerable, intransigent clunk from H&R's body links (since corrected) which I cured by switching to Steeda's links.

I've left other suspension components alone in the current 2014 GT convertible, preferring the slightly better ride comfort of the stock girly-car springs. Eventually I'd expect to upgrade struts and shocks to Bilstein or Koni offerings.

If I were deciding whether or not "upgraded" anti-sway bars would be worthwhile, given the OP's listed modifications, I'd have to think about the small increment in absolute cornering power and balance-adjustability afforded by any new equipment. I've long been a swaybar preferrer, perhaps only because of the previously-mentioned perception of increased control.

*(Steeda bar in the middle hole has worked good for me in all four applications)

11245503114_29be2c0382_c.jpg

Last edited:

Voltwings

Reaction score
Their first UCA failed, as you said.

There have been failures of their watts link, some documented on this forum.

I have personally had a set of their LCAs fail when the jam nut stripped, causing the arm to change length.

I have also had their rear sway bar fail.

Whiteline is garbage.

EDIT: Here is a failed bolt from my rear Whiteline sway bar. Whiteline refused to replace it even when I offered to pay for the part.

20160711_195521.jpg

Fortunately, McMaster Carr was able to ship me stronger bolts overnight.

Fuck Whiteline.

Wow, they finally figured out how to use a torque wrench. Neither of their sway bars list torque specs. Their original LCA design (which was also changed because suck) didn't have torque specs either.

I'm pretty sure if you had multiple failures from a single company who then told you to go pound sand, you'd be pretty pissed off at them too and rant incoherently on the Internet any time they were mentioned.

There are multiple race teams using these products with success, probably in excess of what you are doing, and yet you are the one having failures... i think we see the common denominator here.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are multiple race teams using these products with success, probably in excess of what you are doing, and yet you are the one having failures... i think we see the common denominator here.

I'm not the only one to experience failures.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107948

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103119&highlight=whiteline+UCA

Now, you can act like I'm a moron who doesn't know what he's doing, but I've had no issues with other vendors' products that I use.

Next question?

EDIT: And also, why would a race team willingly leave performance on the table by using polyurethane bushings instead of spherical bearings?

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
A ton of GTA guys run their stuff and post faster lap times than most of us. Some of them are even runnin... Dare I say their name... BC coilovers!:omfg:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not the only one to experience failures.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107948

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103119&highlight=whiteline+UCA

Now, you can act like I'm a moron who doesn't know what he's doing, but I've had no issues with other vendors' products that I use.

Next question?

EDIT: And also, why would a race team willingly leave performance on the table by using polyurethane bushings instead of spherical bearings?

Both of those issues (if you read the thread) were fixed free of charge to the customer by Whiteline. :clap:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Good for them. It's always awesome when a company uses its customers as beta testers.

How did they use them as testers? All products were tested before releasing just as BMR, Strano etc does. For the small amount of failures they have had (which is very low)they fixed everything just as with any other company. Are you going to say that BMRs A arm failures were testing? No. BMR is a great company and when the failures happened they addressed the issue, figured out the root cause and implemented a fix just as Whiteline did. All companies big and small has issues especially with aftermarket car parts. The difference in a good company and bad is how they address the issues and deals with the customers. I can honestly say that your experience with Whiteline is 110% opposite than anyone I have talked to that has dealt with them. I will say I had one issue with their parts and it was the rear sway-bar. The brackets that came with the kit were not tall enough. I contacted them, explained my issue and was told I needed the "race" mount for as low as the car was. Stated not a problem how much and they said no charge and sent them out overnight free of charge. To me that makes damn good customer service and a lifetime customer.

El_Tortuga

forum member
Reaction score
3 years + with my WL adjustable rear bar minus a few months when I was experimenting with 6 cyl bar. WL bar is back on and working perfectly. Adjustable PHB for about the same time. No complaints

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back