Datalogging my O2 sensors ... help?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Tried datalogging my O2 sensors to see if they're all switching OK.
Seems some of them have no values, some are switching very slow.
Sensors 3 & 4 on each bank don't exist as far as I know, but I had selected all the Oxygen sensor section of the PIDs, so they're in the list.

What do you guys think?

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
we only have o2 1 and 2 for each bank.

not sure about the others going slow

travelers

Reaction score
The heaters are working and they are reading in the system. What are you looking for?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I have a thousand miles of driving the car trying to get it to go ready for inspection.
Keep getting all 4 sensors not ready, and after resetting the KAM about 50-75 miles ago, now the catalyst isn't going ready either.
Dude on Facebook said he had the same issue, replaced the rear sensors and put about 60 miles on the car and it went really.
Was wondering if maybe the slow switching of the rear sensors in my datalog meant that they were being just lazy enough to not let the PCM finish its cycle

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have a thousand miles of driving the car trying to get it to go ready for inspection.
Keep getting all 4 sensors not ready, and after resetting the KAM about 50-75 miles ago, now the catalyst isn't going ready either.
Dude on Facebook said he had the same issue, replaced the rear sensors and put about 60 miles on the car and it went really.
Was wondering if maybe the slow switching of the rear sensors in my datalog meant that they were being just lazy enough to not let the PCM finish its cycle

First question have you asked your tuner? It's quite possible that the rear sensors and other emissions components are turned off in the tune.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
First question have you asked your tuner? It's quite possible that the rear sensors and other emissions components are turned off in the tune.

Yes, I have updated "emissions-friendly" and "emission tweaks" versions of my tune, and still nothing.

The rear sensors are on, they have never been turned off.
They can be seen in the video switching.

I do have a 170-temp t-stat, was wondering if maybe it's not letting the engine get up to proper operating temp, but yesterday I drove the car for about an hour, flogging it pretty good, kept the coolant temp in the 200-210 range.
Still getting all 4 sensors and the catalyst not complete.

travelers

Reaction score
Do you still have your cats in the car? You might want to try having the rears turned off and update the tune. In Pa if you are under 5K millage you don't need to pass emission. The rear O2s only check for cat efficiency.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Yes. Stock cats, stock exhaust manifolds.

Wild White Pony

forum member
Reaction score
Check your data log for open loop or closed loop. I just finished my trans swap and have been fighting the emission cycle not completing. I drove the car many miles and cycles then noticed the car would start up in open loop and proceed to closed loop but after a few seconds it reverted back to open which won't let the emissions to complete a cycle. Mine is probably related to a strategy conflict from flashing a friends manual car pcm strategy into my auto pcm. But it wouldn't hurt to check that and also see what fuel trims are doing. As far as the O2s you should see a lot of fluctuation when pedaling the gas while driving, if you have longtubes they need the 02 heaters turned way up, log the moment you switch to closed loop and see if you have an extreme fluctuation in 02 voltage as if the 02s got quenched.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Cool, I'll check that, thank you.

The tuner got back to me this morning, wants me to go to them tomorrow so he can datalog using HPTuners software which supposedly gives them more options.
We'll see.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Well, datalogged with the tuner using HPTuners software, found that while cruising in 6th at 1600RPM, even though the throttle voltage was steady at .2V, the load percentage was fluctuating as much as 15%, and this was on a flat section of road.
Apparently the testing has a very narrow load range window and using the HPTuners software the dude opened up that window so I can have a better chance at the testing getting completed.
Drove it home, about 40 minutes, mostly highway.
Still not ready, but was told that it will probably take more driving than that.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Good luck with this. Can be a huge pita. I'm moving to NV next year and it is a OBD2 emissions state. My car won't pass either. Sensors and catalyst not ready. No surprise without cats on the car though. Installing some defoulers to try and get the issue resolved next.

travelers

Reaction score
interesting, I hope that helps. But what is causing the load percentage to fluctuate that much?

Just got back from trying to datalog my car at the same speeds as you did but my X4 isn't cooperating. so no good.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Good luck with this. Can be a huge pita. I'm moving to NV next year and it is a OBD2 emissions state. My car won't pass either. Sensors and catalyst not ready. No surprise without cats on the car though. Installing some defoulers to try and get the issue resolved next.

Thanks.
Please update here if something you do gets yours OBD-ready.

interesting, I hope that helps. But what is causing the load percentage to fluctuate that much?

Just got back from trying to datalog my car at the same speeds as you did but my X4 isn't cooperating. so no good.

The thought was that the current pulley/throttle-body combo is just very sensitive to any inputs, and it affects the load percentage more than any combo before it.
This set-up was installed after last year's state inspection was done, so this is the first time I've cared to see if this set-up would go OBD-ready.
And I guess it isn't.
When I drove it home this afternoon, I was monitoring the load PID as I was driving, using a Bluetooth OBD thingy and a Torque app on my phone.
The tuner said to try to keep it at about 30% load, and that was pretty hard since the slightest incline in the road would send it into the 40% range, and even close to 60%.
They increased the range allowed for the test to go up to 60%, so they told me to stay under 60% and cruise in 6th at about 1600 RPM.
That was kinda hard to do since with 3.73's and the current rear tire size, that's about 52-54mph, and on a 65mph highway I was getting run over.
So I'll try it again soon and see.
I have a 45-55-minute drive (each way) coming on Friday, I'll take the Mustang and see what happens.

travelers

Reaction score
Do you still have the 62mm throttle body? It may be a idea of putting it back on with an updated tune to try.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Do you still have the 62mm throttle body? It may be a idea of putting it back on with an updated tune to try.

I still have the twin-60 that came with the Whipple kit, I still have the bigger pulleys, and I could probably disconnect the BAP too if I had too.
I might do all that if this current tweak doesn't help.
I didn't get to drive it today, but am planning on driving it tomorrow for a trip about an hour long, mostly highway.
We'll see.

travelers

Reaction score
I still have the twin-60 that came with the Whipple kit, I still have the bigger pulleys, and I could probably disconnect the BAP too if I had too.
I might do all that if this current tweak doesn't help.
I didn't get to drive it today, but am planning on driving it tomorrow for a trip about an hour long, mostly highway.
We'll see.

It might be something to try. I don't think disconnecting the BAP is necessary.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
It might be something to try. I don't think disconnecting the BAP is necessary.

Re-installed the next-size-bigger 3.25" pulley back on yesterday.
Drove it about 10 miles so far and no change of course, too little driving, but I have a cruise planned for this afternoon, we'll see what happens.
From what I'm hearing this is actually somewhat of a common issue, and it would probably be a lot more common if all the states had emission testing.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if some people had sold cars because of this sometimes being a gigantic PITA.

Gabe I'm sort of going through a similar situation. I want to check and make sure my rear O2 sensors are working. I see the video you posted there.

Assuming that is SCT software. Which PIDs are important for the rear O2 functionality? o2 voltage bank1/2 rear sensor? o2 heater duty cycle bank 1/2 sensor 1 (or is it sensor2 for rear)?

Thanks

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if some people had sold cars because of this sometimes being a gigantic PITA.

Gabe I'm sort of going through a similar situation. I want to check and make sure my rear O2 sensors are working. I see the video you posted there.

Assuming that is SCT software. Which PIDs are important for the rear O2 functionality? o2 voltage bank1/2 rear sensor? o2 heater duty cycle bank 1/2 sensor 1 (or is it sensor2 for rear)?

Thanks

The video shows the datalog done using SCT LiveLink Gen-II on my laptop.
The front sensors are B1S1 and B2S1.
Rears are B1S2 and B2S2, also shown as "bank 1 rear sensor" or "bank 2 rear sensor" in that video.
As far as I know, as long as the numbers are changing, it means they're turned on and working.

I drove the car 77-80 miles this evening, about 20 of that on the highway, the rest some back roads, more aggressiveley than I had done so far.

All 4 oxygen sensors are still laughing at me, "incomplete"

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back