Datalogging my O2 sensors ... help?

travelers

Reaction score
AAAHHHHH If I remember right your GF had the GT500.....And now it's the WIFES GT500. Did something happen that we don't know about or did I just miss it?????

IIRC the last time I had our SnapOn scanner on the car I only had 3 items to check for.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
AAAHHHHH If I remember right your GF had the GT500.....And now it's the WIFES GT500. Did something happen that we don't know about or did I just miss it?????

IIRC the last time I had our SnapOn scanner on the car I only had 3 items to check for.

Lol, yes, we got married last week, Friday afternoon.
Small ceremony, just immediate family.
Perfect, as we both thought.

So the cars didn't change, and neither did the woman, just her status, lol.

Car's still giving me the middle finger, I think it wants me to just go out there and do a half-hour burnout in it.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Gabe congrats. And thank you for the info on the o2 logging. Gives me something to go on.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Car is angry that you took another woman in your life. Lol

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Gabe congrats. And thank you for the info on the o2 logging. Gives me something to go on.

Thank you and you're welcome, let me know what you find. This has been quite a headache, I can't wait to see what will fix it. Spoke with the tuner again yesterday, I'm waiting on him to send me screenshots of his datalog, showing what changes during the tests, it might help me focus better on those things and maybe get the sensors to go "complete"

Car is angry that you took another woman in your life. Lol

Lol, the woman's been around almost 4 years, the car should've seen this coming

travelers

Reaction score
Congrats, and that's the best way to do it. A guy I know spent 6 figures on his daughters wedding. That's just nuts.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Congrats, and that's the best way to do it. A guy I know spent 6 figures on his daughters wedding. That's just nuts.

Thanks, and yeah, spending that kind of money on a wedding, that's insane.

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Any progress?

Driven mine about 70-80 miles since putting in the defoulers and so far catalyst, o2 sensor, and o2 sensor heater are still not wanting to complete. I tried hard to run the drivecycle routines necessary for those monitors. Hasn't done any good yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170708-181730.jpg
    Screenshot_20170708-181730.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Any progress?

Driven mine about 70-80 miles since putting in the defoulers and so far catalyst, o2 sensor, and o2 sensor heater are still not wanting to complete. I tried hard to run the drivecycle routines necessary for those monitors. Hasn't done any good yet.

No progress here.
Didn't drive it the last couple days, when I last spoke with the tuner he said the Coyotes have been needing at least 200 miles of driving before they set the monitors, which seems kinda ludicrous to me, but I don't have many options other than believing him.
He was supposed to send me screenshots showing what PIDs change when the tests run, but he's on vacation this week, no screenshots yet.

Got my Bluetooth laptop adapter today, so hopefully tomorrow I'll have a chance to check mode6 data and see which tests haven't run yet, using the FORscan software.

What software are you using?

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
The routines for the catalyst and the o2 sensors seem like they should be easy. Not sure why it would take 200 miles but I'm obviously no expert. I do know it is hard to keep my foot steady at exactly 40mph for a full 4 miles.

Been using my OBD2 scan tool and android phone to check the monitor status. That's it. Haven't logged the sensors yet. Still on SCT - haven't converted to HP Tuners. Friend examined the tune on his HP Tuners laptop and it looks like the tests and sensors are enabled.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The routines for the catalyst and the o2 sensors seem like they should be easy. Not sure why it would take 200 miles but I'm obviously no expert. I do know it is hard to keep my foot steady at exactly 40mph for a full 4 miles.

Been using my OBD2 scan tool and android phone to check the monitor status. That's it. Haven't logged the sensors yet. Still on SCT - haven't converted to HP Tuners. Friend examined the tune on his HP Tuners laptop and it looks like the tests and sensors are enabled.

From what I've found, it's 40mph for up to 4 minutes, not for a full 4 miles.
http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html

This morning I got the FORscan software up and running on my laptop with the new little Bluetooth adapter I got Saturday, and checking for codes, I found that I had the dreaded P0420 and P0430 codes stored in the PCM as intermittent faults, and not setting the check engine light.
Now, a couple months ago I had some nasty exhaust leaks at the cat-conv/H-pipe connections, and I wonder if that's what set those codes, but after all the tune reloads I've done since those repairs, I would've thought that those codes would've been erased a long time ago.
So there might still be an issue with the cats or with something causing those codes.

I reset the PCM and its codes, and this evening I took it out for about an hour, attempting the drive cycle mentioned in the link above.
However, that cycle seems somewhat outdated for this car, since the misfire monitor sets within a minute of driving the car, the EGR monitor sets pretty quickly if I just cruise at a steady speed for a few minutes, and even the EVAP monitor sets while crusing at a steady speed.
It has me doing all kinds of crap that's apparently not necessary to set those monitors.
But I tried it, including about 20 miles of city/stop-and-go driving.
And came home frustrated again, with the catalyst and all 4 sensors still reading Incomplete.

I did a few screenshots of the FORscan Mode6 data after I shut it off, some of the "not ready" displays might be cuz the engine isn't running, I think

When I re-checked for codes, none were found.
So at least the P0420/P0430 might be gone, and hopefully just related to those leaks that have been mostly addressed since they showed up.

These are the screenshots I mentioned, if any of you reading this thread have any words of wisdom for me, please share, thanks.

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_001.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_002.jpg

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_003.jpg

The "tests performed" log:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_Mode6_tests_log.jpg

The final DTC reading:

Gabe_13GT_20170710_final_DTC_read.jpg

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Another 248 miles driven today on a trip to Maine with the wife, the catalyst and all 4 Oxygen sensors still "incomplete".

Edit: just checked for codes using that FORScan software, and there were no codes stored or pending, so at least that's good.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Amazing to me it's being so stubborn even with cats and stock headers. I sorta expect mine to be a bitch but yours not so much. Good luck getting it sorted.

Going to use my xcal and livelink to check rear sensors like you did tomorrow. Need to get some more miles on it before giving up on the spacers and asking for professional help next.

travelers

Reaction score
Another 248 miles driven today on a trip to Maine with the wife, the catalyst and all 4 Oxygen sensors still "incomplete".

Edit: just checked for codes using that FORScan software, and there were no codes stored or pending, so at least that's good.

I know it's not cheep but have you thought of replacing all the O2s? With the racing you have done, they maybe getting tired.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I know it's not cheep but have you thought of replacing all the O2s? With the racing you have done, they maybe getting tired.

I've replaced the rears already. I HAVE been thinking of doing the fronts ...

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Gabe if you want me to quit posting in this thread I will do so. Our dilemma is similar however our configurations are different.

Livelink refuses to log the o2 heater duty cycle for me. Error is "Item failed to setup". Something turned off in the tune or a hardware failure of the heaters are my best guesses.

This is a 40mph steady cruise. Sensors seem to be returning values OK. Couple hundred miles and those monitors don't pass then I'll contact support. Trying to be patient.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
No, please continue to update.
We're both battling the same fight as far as I can tell

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Gabe here is what a newb has figured out so far.

It is possible to set the catalyst, o2, and o2 heater monitors such that they will show up as not available. When they scan the car it should pass at that point if this is what is holding you up. That won't get it to pass a sniff test or visual.

Many tuners will not do this for you. If you write your own tune or if you have an unlocked tune file and load it into HPT you can make the changes yourself.

I have read that this will get you by most of the time. In your case with cats on the car you shouldn't even need to do it. I suppose it depends on how much patience you have left since you've already put 1000+ miles on it. I'd be near the end of my rope but then I'm not known for being patient. lol

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Lol, yeah me neither.
I put the 3.125" pulley back on this morning and took the car for a ride around the neighborhood, got on it a little, cruised a little, and mixed that up.
My freaking catalyst went "complete"!!!

The tune is written for this pulley and not sure how things change, but I'm now planning on a longer cruise with this pulley back on to see if by some crazy chance my O2s will set.

I had heard about that trick to make them not available, I don't have the HPTuners software and apparently my tuner doesn't think they should do that for me, even as an "emissions" tune.
I'm honestly getting sick of dealing with them, as much as they might be considered gurus around here.
They seem to still be learning the Coyote platform.
I don't like being a guinea pig.

Last edited:

Riptide

Will work for Mustang.
Reaction score
Well at least one down right? Two to go. So that is good news at least!

I'm going to leave the rear o2 spacers on for now. I have suspicions that something in the tune is keeping them from getting the monitors passed.

Next week getting HPT on the way. Converting from SCT->HPT. The original tune is not locked. I can make changes myself and if forced to do so will eventually pull the defoulers off the car and then set the monitors to show not available. If still unable to register the car after we move I have my stock H pipe as a backup plan.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back