Help me find the correct parts to build my motor!

Tducomb

Reaction score
I have an 07 GT and I just put it on a 100shot of nos. I want to twin turbo the car but I don't know where to look for the parts in order to build the motor for higher horsepower and I also am not sure what all I need. Any help would be awesome, whether it be links, or a list of things I should upgrade in order to get the high horsepower numbers I'm after without blowing my motor or supporting components

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
You want a low compression short block build. Also you need to think about standard bore or going over .20
Are you thinking of a stroker kit?
If that the case than you will also need an 8 bolt flywheel and a clutch kit that will hold on the power you are looking for.
For the turbo kit on3performance makes good kits and for a good price.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

For internal parts or for the stroker kit check modmaxracing.com thats where i bought my parts

Last edited by a moderator:

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'll second modmaxracing.com. That's where I got most of my parts. Competitive pricing, super fast delivery and Amazon customer service. There was an issue with the bearings that were sent from King, a separate company in a separate state, that they caught right away and made sure King fixed their mistake. I didn't even lose a day on the build over it. Great people to work with.

46addict

Reaction score
Modmax is good. You can compare prices with Summit/Jegs and Modularheadshop.com for engine parts if you want. You will want to upgrade the valve springs and get custom turbo cams for higher boost/power levels. For odds and ends like head gaskets/studs (FRPP head changing kit), and cam phaser bolts, etc, AmericanMuscle has them for cheap.

For fueling S&H Performance (sandhperformance.com) will have what you need. They also sell complete twin turbo kits. And then get with Lito for the tune.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
are you building the motor?

do you have a budget or power goal?

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
Make sure you put good rods in it with a piston designed for the power adder! Don't cheap on the heart of it all

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Disagree. Maintain stock compression. I am sure many here will say the same.
He want to go twin turbo on his car. Is up to him if he wants to stay with 9.8:1 or go down 9.4:1, or even 8.9:1.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is the car stick or automatic?

46addict

Reaction score
Yeah assuming 93 octane it would be good to lower compression a bit. Allows for more wiggle room with pump gas quality control and a higher boost ceiling.

I would also look at a wrist pin upgrade for a max effort build.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He want to go twin turbo on his car. Is up to him if he wants to stay with 9.8:1 or go down 9.4:1, or even 8.9:1.

No shit. Of course it's up to him. I just disagree with going down from the stock 9.8:1 compression. Forced induction has been done a thousand times with the stock or higher CR with no ill effects. 14 even 16 psi has been done on stock CR without issue as long as all the variable are accounted for. Tune has to be right. Fuel has to be good, and pump gas can do it. Have seen it many, many times.

Dropping CR when adding boost is old thinking. Lowering the CR will make engine response lazy and reduce off boost power. It will also negatively effect fuel efficiency. And since boost is a multiplier of engine power wouldn't you want to maintain the most power off boost possible?

You could have a stock 300 hp engine and add 12 psi. That would bump power roughly 80% to around 540hp. And on pump gas.

Same engine with say 9:1. probably only makes 260 hp. Add the same 12 psi and you are making about 475 hp.

Which do you want to drive?

But in the end it's up to him.

My suggestion is talk to someone that has built what you want to build. Chance's are someone has already built it and has direct 1st hand experience from which to dole out advice.

Last edited:

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
No shit. Of course it's up to him. I just disagree with going down from the stock 9.8:1 compression. Forced induction has been done a thousand times with the stock or higher CR with no ill effects. 14 even 16 psi has been done on stock CR without issue as long as all the variable are accounted for. Tune has to be right. Fuel has to be good, and pump gas can do it. Have seen it many, many times.

Dropping CR when adding boost is old thinking. Lowering the CR will make engine response lazy and reduce off boost power. It will also negatively effect fuel efficiency. And since boost is a multiplier of engine power wouldn't you want to maintain the most power off boost possible?

You could have a stock 300 hp engine and add 12 psi. That would bump power roughly 80% to around 540hp. And on pump gas.

Same engine with say 9:1. probably only makes 260 hp. Add the same 12 psi and you are making about 475 hp.

Which do you want to drive?

But in the end it's up to him.
Well no shit.. everyone will have a different opinion and even say "i have seen it many time"
Shit, we dont even know if he just want to have a 1/4 mile beast cuz he might have another DD
We dont even know what his hp/tq target is.
You should give him a list of the right parts for his build since it seen you have a strong knowledge on building engine, cuz im just a regular guy who just know a few things or two.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are your feelings hurt?

He asked a general question. General questions deserve general answers. I gave a general answer and also disagreed with your answer about dropping CR. Then later quantified why it's a bad idea.

Stock CR, 93 octane and 12,14,16 psi has been done by people here. In general you do not have to drop your CR with forced induction on a 3V 4.6 until you are building something off at the top end of the spectrum or have other specific goals. At that point you had better be talking to an experienced engine builder or you are about to piss away a ton of money on lack luster results.

I take his question as " I want 12-14 psi on my otherwise stock 3V". And that does not require lowering the compression nor running more than 93 octane. It does require a proper tune. At this point my guess is the guy is day dreaming with little knowledge to support his dreams. I think it would be wise to spend a year educating himself.

But that's up to him. He could just write a check and have a shop do everything for him.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
too many unknown factors about the build to suggest a CR

I run 21psi and 9.5 CR - up from the factory's 8.4 (IIRC)

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Are your feelings hurt?

He asked a general question. General questions deserve general answers. I gave a general answer and also disagreed with your answer about dropping CR. Then later quantified why it's a bad idea.

Stock CR, 93 octane and 12,14,16 psi has been done by people here. In general you do not have to drop your CR with forced induction on a 3V 4.6 until you are building something off at the top end of the spectrum or have other specific goals. At that point you had better be talking to an experienced engine builder or you are about to piss away a ton of money on lack luster results.

I take his question as " I want 12-14 psi on my otherwise stock 3V". And that does not require lowering the compression nor running more than 93 octane. It does require a proper tune. At this point my guess is the guy is day dreaming with little knowledge to support his dreams. I think it would be wise to spend a year educating himself.

But that's up to him. He could just write a check and have a shop do everything for him.

None of my feelings got hurt bro.
Like i said, im just a regular guy that knows a thing or two
You in the other hand have all the knowledge of what he or anyone should do with their car.
And for that i only said that you should give him a list of part for his build
That way he will be happy with the result

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
None of my feelings got hurt bro.
Like i said, im just a regular guy that knows a thing or two
You in the other hand have all the knowledge of what he or anyone should do with their car.
And for that i only said that you should give him a list of part for his build
That way he will be happy with the result

I believe I said 2X, that's twice, that he should probably talk to an engine builder. In addition to stating my opinion.

BTW I am also "just a regular guy that knows a thing or two". So stating that twice to me adds zero cred to your posts. Enjoy your holiday.

Oh and stkjock kinda proved my point about compression and pump gas. But again, 3rd time for those counting at home, the OP should really talk to a reputable engine builder before going too far in this plan.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
well, pump gas for me is E85, to be fair

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Touche.

What if you ran "just 14 psi". 93 would get the job done safely.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
I believe I said 2X, that's twice, that he should probably talk to an engine builder. In addition to stating my opinion.

BTW I am also "just a regular guy that knows a thing or two". So stating that twice to me adds zero cred to your posts. Enjoy your holiday.

Oh and stkjock kinda proved my point about compression and pump gas. But again, 3rd time for those counting at home, the OP should really talk to a reputable engine builder before going too far in this plan.
yea.. enjoy your holiday too

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
Talk to a reputable engine builder. Figure out a horsepower goal, then bump that number up. If you think 600HP will be what you want. Take that up a notch when building. 600 will be good for a year, then it will get boring. You don't want to be stuck building another engine in a year because you didn't anticipate for the power goal to grow.

Don't cheap out. When you figure a budget, estimate for about $75 dollars a horsepower.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back