Cai without a tune

Stang006

Reaction score
My son went w/Bama and their support sux a$$. Only reason, for him, was the "free tunes for life" guarantee, but if they can't make minor adjustment...what's the point. Brenspeed's service is stellar and X4 tuner's same as Bama (SCT re-branded = Bama). I'm pretty pleased so far and don't foresee any future issues.

Thanks, great info

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
VMP writes kick ass tunes and their support is awesome as well. I may be biased since he's local to me and has tuned three cars for me.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Well first off I don't use Facebook.

A man after my own heart. Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't have a FB account in 2017...or want one.

Lots of decent tuners out there OP if now you have decided you want a tune and a CAI that requires one. Like SKWERL I also have had great success with VMP. Their custom tune will allow you to get future tune revisions if you make upgrade purchases from them for that vehicle. Justin, Joe, and Alex are great to deal with. I personally work with Alex on my tune. He's been great.

Oh and they are only 16 hours or so from my door step, so I am partial without them being local. Sure wish they were however.

Stang006

Reaction score
Will look into vmp also. Glad to see that I am not the only one not on FB or twitter.lol. Will check vmp out now.

Last edited:

Stang006

Reaction score
Unless I am looking in the wrong site with vmp, what Cai are you using with their tune or are you using your stock breather housing?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I kept the stock airbox because there is nothing to gain with an aftermarket CAI except more hot air. None of the CAI kits will block hot engine compartment air as well as the stock airbox. But if you want to look cool then VMP will sell you a JLT kit.

Stang006

Reaction score
I kept the stock airbox because there is nothing to gain with an aftermarket CAI except more hot air. None of the CAI kits will block hot engine compartment air as well as the stock airbox. But if you want to look cool then VMP will sell you a JLT kit.
No you are stating what I always questioned myself. You are happy with just the tune? I was originally looking at just the tune, but the more I read it seemed a Cai needed to take place also. Have you gotten any engine trouble codes. Thanks

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score

I totally agree with that, as a stock motor can only take in the amount of airflow for which it was designed for..The stock airbox on the 4v Coyote motors are very efficient and less restrictive compared to the early 05-09 3v 4.6 airbox design.. Just as you mentioned, unless your running a heavily modified set up or running FI above 10psi boost, the stock airbox will provide more than enough airflow for both a stock and mildly modified 5.0 Coyote 4v..

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score
No you are stating what I always questioned myself. You are happy with just the tune? I was originally looking at just the tune, but the more I read it seemed a Cai needed to take place also. Have you gotten any engine trouble codes. Thanks

Thanks to your post I've been researching all night lol and it looks like brenspeed has the best deal. I was looking at the JLT with the SCT 4...they have the best deal on that combo...A.M - price isn't much different on same combo but theirs is with bama tuner which I'm staying away from. I'm not ordering anything yet though, waiting to hear back from Lito.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Lito doesn't tune the 5.0 motors, only the 3v.

I've had zero issues with my tune. Got it shortly after buying the car in June 2014 so 3 years now without a single code or engine issue.

Stang006

Reaction score
Thanks to your post I've been researching all night lol and it looks like brenspeed has the best deal. I was looking at the JLT with the SCT 4...they have the best deal on that combo...A.M - price isn't much different on same combo but theirs is with bama tuner which I'm staying away from. I'm not ordering anything yet though, waiting to hear back from Lito.
Lol, me too for quite a while

RedCandyApple2008

Reaction score

I've had zero issues with my tune. Got it shortly after buying the car in June 2014 so 3 years now without a single code or engine issue.

A 5.0 would be nice lol I have a 3V.

Lol, me too for quite a while

If you don't go with the CAI with tuner I think you should go with just the tuner how the guys have been saying, I might end up doing the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stang006

Reaction score

What year and make do you have? Mine is an 06 4.6.

If you don't go with the CAI with tuner I think you should go with just the tuner how the guys have been saying, I might end up doing the same.
I am leaning toward that right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Even better would be to get the tune without the CAI. Even a rudimentary search will show that the Mustang airboxes flow tons of air and a CAI is often more of a 'hot air intake' which does more harm than good. Unless you're pushing 10 lbs of boost the stock airbox is all you need.

Keep in mind the OP has the early 05-09 4.6 3v which unfortunately the stock airbox is actually pretty restrictive when compared with the 11-14 Coyote 5.0 4v.. However it's not so much the airbox design itself that's restrictive, but rather it's the smaller stock 80mm MAF housing size which causes the restriction.. Although I do agree that with the right tuning the stock airbox is capable of producing up to 20 additional HP, the 4.6 3v motors never the less do benefit from both a tune and CAI combo..

If the OP is considering a CAI.. Just make certain that it has a full shield to prevent hot air from entering the intake manifold.. I would recommend Airaid as the top choice followed by Steeda, as both include full air dam shielding and also offer a non-tune insert that's removable for future upgrades that require custom tuning..

Stang006

Reaction score
Keep in mind the OP has the early 05-09 4.6 3v which unfortunately the stock airbox is actually pretty restrictive when compared with the 11-14 Coyote 5.0 4v.. However it's not so much the airbox design itself that's restrictive, but rather it's the smaller stock 80mm MAF housing size which causes the restriction.. Although I do agree that with the right tuning the stock airbox is capable of producing up to 20 additional HP, the 4.6 3v motors never the less do benefit from both a tune and CAI combo..

If the OP is considering a CAI.. Just make certain that it has a full shield to prevent hot air from entering the intake manifold.. I would recommend Airaid as the top choice followed by Steeda, as both include full air dam shielding and also offer a non-tune insert that's removable for future upgrades that require custom tuning..
You answered that question. Thanks

VitaminLee

Reaction score
VMP writes kick ass tunes and their support is awesome as well. I may be biased since he's local to me and has tuned three cars for me.

What kind of gains did you see with just a tune on a stock motor. I don't want to hi jack the op thread. But I pretty much had the same question as him. I spoke with alex from vmp. As soon as I get the data log he is going to write me a tune. I have a 5 liter tho. Drop in k&n is the only non factory part of my engine.

Stang006

Reaction score
Had to send a visitor message to your profile because your PM's are turned off.

Sorry, not sure how to activate this. States I am not able to activate it. Could send that pm again? I did not see it

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He can't. It's a anti spam deal.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back