Cai without a tune

tj@steeda

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Steeda has some great tunes too & we also offer tunes for life!

We also offer CAIs without a tune required - https://www.steeda.com/2005-2010-mustang-cold-air-intakes

A design element we have incorporated into this CAI is our exclusive aluminum velocity stack component that we developed directly from feedback and tests from our factory sponsored Mustang racing program.

This velocity stack serves multiple purposes – primarily to ensure a smooth airflow across the Mass Air sensor so that its readings are not compromised, and also to provide a denser flow of fresh incoming air.

Also, Chris Johnson of SCT had this to say about our tune & CAI:

"SCT has seen the highest horsepower and torque results while using Steeda's Cold Air Kit, over any other brand." - Chris Johnson, President of SCT Tuning

Happy to help with a forum discount if you are interested in the Steeda unit!

TJ

Stang006

Reaction score

We also offer CAIs without a tune required - https://www.steeda.com/2005-2010-mustang-cold-air-intakes

A design element we have incorporated into this CAI is our exclusive aluminum velocity stack component that we developed directly from feedback and tests from our factory sponsored Mustang racing program.

This velocity stack serves multiple purposes – primarily to ensure a smooth airflow across the Mass Air sensor so that its readings are not compromised, and also to provide a denser flow of fresh incoming air.

TJ

Thanks for the info, TJ

Stang006

Reaction score
Okay guys here is a new question. Brenspeed/Bama both state that they send tunes for 87 octane up to 93 octane. If you have say race tune set and find all you can get for fuel is 87 do I need to retune or is it ok to run it anyway? I always run 91 here, but many towns don't have that or all you find is E15 up to E85.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
You typically get three tunes. Load the one you want and/or switch tunes whenever you like.

Stang006

Reaction score
You have a range of fuel octane for each tune? Sorry if this sound dumb, but just wondering.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Okay guys here is a new question. Brenspeed/Bama both state that they send tunes for 87 octane up to 93 octane. If you have say race tune set and find all you can get for fuel is 87 do I need to retune or is it ok to run it anyway? I always run 91 here, but many towns don't have that or all you find is E15 up to E85.

Just keep in mind that if your running the 93 octane race tune and can only find fuel for 87 octane.. You cannot run 87 fuel on a 93 octane tune, otherwise your car's air/fuel mixture will run lean and may end up going into fail safe mode..

Therefore if your going to use 87 octane fuel, you must set select your tune for 87 octane.. However you can run higher fuels such as 89,91 and 93 octane fuels on lower 87,89 and 91 octane tunes, you just can't run lower octane fuels that are designed for running higher octane fuels/tunes..

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The main difference between the tunes is added timing. Added timing requires higher octane fuel. You can run higher octane fuel with less timing but you cannot run lower octane fuel with more timing.

Stang006

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that if your running the 93 octane race tune and can only find fuel for 87 octane.. You cannot run 87 fuel on a 93 octane tune, otherwise your car's air/fuel mixture will run lean and may end up going into fail safe mode..

Therefore if your going to use 87 octane fuel, you must set select your tune for 87 octane.. However you can run higher fuels such as 89,91 and 93 octane fuels on lower 87,89 and 91 octane tunes, you just can't run lower octane fuels that are designed for running higher octane fuels/tunes..
Thanks T- red SC, that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take my tuner with me every where I went. Thanks for the advice. New to the tuner aspect.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks T- red SC, that's what I was looking for. I appreciate it. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to take my tuner with me every where I went.
And also make certain that before you switch over from an 87 tune to a higher 89, 91, or 93 tune, that your tank is nearly completely empty of the lower 87 octane fuel, otherwise you'll be lowering the octane level for the higher octane tune..

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Keep the tuner in the glove box or trunk. Not only is it handy to have with you in case you need to swap tunes (out of fuel and can't find 93 octane) but it's also handy for checking and clearing OBDII codes. When that check engine light pops on you can plug in the tuner and find out what the code is.

Phil1098

Reaction score
After doing the data logging that Lito asked for and loading his tune, I don't think I have owned a car that runs better from idle to 6,500 than mine now. He fixed that stock "rev to the fucking moon stone cold for 30 seconds" along with everything else and the throttle response feels like it's using a cable instead of fly by wire.

VitaminLee

Reaction score

TJ
I private messaged you. Interested in talking to you about the steeda tunes

VitaminLee

Reaction score
I puschased the steeda tune and it crashed my sct tuner and my car wouldn't start. I called steeda back and they said call sct. Sct re set my tuner and I re uploaded the tune like steeda said. My car runs like crap. I asked steeda if I need to data log to see the problem and their response to me was there isn't any data logging for our tunes because they're perfect. I'm getting 9.6 miles per gallon after I uploaded the tune. After 4K rpms it falls on its face and pops and back fires. I called steeda again the said my factory ecm wasn't update. I took my car to for ford and they said that wasn't the issue. Sct also told me my car or my sct x4. I've also talked to vmp and they said I was wasting my time. I've tried to get this problem solved via phone with steeda and the guy hung up on me telling me there is nothing he can do about it. So I'm going this afternoon and demanding a refund because this tune I bought isn't. but I've talked to others that had this same problem in my circle here in Florida and they didn't get a refun either. Any suggestions?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
VMP is correct, you wasted your time (and money).

I loaded my canned VMP tune almost 3 years ago. Zero datalogging, zero issues, I average 16.5 mpg (mostly in town driving) and the car hauls ass.

For what it's worth I can't recall anybody who was running a Steeda tune and bragging on it. Having been on this and other Mustang forums for 6 years now I can't say I ever considered Steeda as a source for tunes. They simply do not have the reputation as a tuning source. Reputations are earned and rarely happen by accident. Stick with the names who have an excellent reputation for tuning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back