Largest displacement BBB based stroker kit ideas, please

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
That's pretty much it, I want to do the largest displacement 3v possible.
I'm not finding consistent info on the Big Bore based stroker kits, most of the info online is older. and what seems like small displacements.
Max effort, max cubes, I'm ok with a sub 7k rpm redline in order to extend service life, it's unclear to me what RPM range would be considered "maximum", but the theme is a max effort 3v build.
We can talk about if it's for nitrous (honestly my dream build) or boost, which I'm told is the best idea from anyone I mention this too.
The idea is "big" cubic inch, max effort engine with 2 or 3 stages of nitrous. Old school and light.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing this now. I did a dss 5.3 with 3 Valve heads and 1 big single stage on a progressive box. I got the car running and driving. No real concrete numbers yet as far as dyno or track. Sounds like you're into the same thing I am.......nitrous. Kind of a forgotten power adder in a sea of boost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to stay 4.6 based or are you thinking 5.4? Do they make a big bore block for the 5.4? I know they make (or made) a stroker crank for the 5.4, but it wasn't very popular. Mine was a 323 with a 3.75" stroker crank. I think with a 3.80" stroker it goes up to 326. After that you have to play with bore size.

I only spun mine up to 6500rpm. It fell off after that. The torque was nice though. My graph looked like a twin screw even though it was a centri.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Are you wanting to stay 4.6 based or are you thinking 5.4? Do they make a big bore block for the 5.4? I know they make (or made) a stroker crank for the 5.4, but it wasn't very popular. Mine was a 323 with a 3.75" stroker crank. I think with a 3.80" stroker it goes up to 326. After that you have to play with bore size.

I only spun mine up to 6500rpm. It fell off after that. The torque was nice though. My graph looked like a twin screw even though it was a centri.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

I like the idea of the 4.6 based based block, intake options don't exist for the 5.4 as readily as they do in the 4.6 world and I wouldn't have to acquire as many parts to put it in the car

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
The '13-14 GT500's Trinity engine has a displacement of 5.8L.

I think he means a big bore 5.4 comes out to roughly 5.8L.

OP, if you're going to stop at 326ci, the Brenspeed stroker shortblock can bolt up to the stock heads/intake/headers. Just need different motor mounts.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think he means a big bore 5.4 comes out to roughly 5.8L.

OP, if you're going to stop at 326ci, the Brenspeed stroker shortblock can bolt up to the stock heads/intake/headers. Just need different motor mounts.

And they seem to be very reliable ...............

Terry

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Preaching to the choir here but bore spacing on mod motors is all the same since conception, which is cool cuz you can just about about put about whatever head on whatever block. It does limit bore size, though. I would spend my money on a 13 -14 Trinity motor.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just get the 5.8
5ca520c8f1827dd45f6fad464d7b0033.jpg
32698f57b5906f4870db087ee66c1eb2.jpg
70667fcae44a7f7030abdca61f3a4794.jpg
fd0e4039c1584276e44c1667b003f00d.jpg
4abef57a2272617815df0d4ab3c03679.jpg

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I want to keep it a 3 valve and the goal is to make the displacement maximum, I'm ok with having a crank ground, my model is the mod engine Kaase built for the Engine Masters a few years ago, it was a 409ci deal. We are strictly focused on the short block right now, we will worry about heads in phase 2.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/jon-kaases-ford-four-valve-mod-motor/

I am an engine builder by trade, but it's been limited to pushrods and diesels as far as what would be considered my "expertise". I have done a few OHC deals, but never max effort.
The dream build for me would be a 409 cubic mod motor with 2 or 3 stages of nitrous, for many reasons, so I suppose that idea is what would lead parts decisions as far as rod material or block prep, ring land depth, all of that good stuff.
We want it to be durable, obviously you can't block every piston failure or tradition nitrous related failures, what I mean by durable is; I take care of the engine through preventive maintenance and proper engine management and it holds up to the intended power levels and regular use.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I want to keep it a 3 valve and the goal is to make the displacement maximum, I'm ok with having a crank ground, my model is the mod engine Kaase built for the Engine Masters a few years ago, it was a 409ci deal. We are strictly focused on the short block right now, we will worry about heads in phase 2.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/jon-kaases-ford-four-valve-mod-motor/

I am an engine builder by trade, but it's been limited to pushrods and diesels as far as what would be considered my "expertise". I have done a few OHC deals, but never max effort.
The dream build for me would be a 409 cubic mod motor with 2 or 3 stages of nitrous, for many reasons, so I suppose that idea is what would lead parts decisions as far as rod material or block prep, ring land depth, all of that good stuff.
We want it to be durable, obviously you can't block every piston failure or tradition nitrous related failures, what I mean by durable is; I take care of the engine through preventive maintenance and proper engine management and it holds up to the intended power levels and regular use.
Awesome! Glad to hear you sticking with the 3v. I too am dedicated to the little cammer. These 3v's have character. They are not some basted child liken the Lt freaks that came before the mighty La series. These are damn good engines, and were put in a TON of vehicles. I LOVE they way they sing and also rumble. Mid mounts make it magical. I get compliments on the sound of my car over it being a nice clean Bullitt. No shit.

Glad Ford decided in 91( Lincoln town car) to get the OHC engine out and developing. Look at where we are now!!!! Good forward tbought by fomoco.

And thank you for that article! Great read my friend.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to hear you sticking with the 3v. I too am dedicated to the little cammer. They have character.....or I have build character into it with getting to know it's quirks and great things about it.

Glad Ford decided in 91( Lincoln town car) to get the OHC engine out and developing. Look at where we are now!!!! Good forward tbought by fomoco.

I think it has a lot of potential without the complication or size/weight disadvantage of the newer coyote platform. I'm debating locking out the VCT or trying really hard to keep it, but that is miles ahead of where I am now, so lots of time to think. lol.
Nothing sounds like a 3v, nothing.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I I'm in LOVE every morning with my generic mid mounts, pype bombs, o/r x pipe.......grunts screams pops and burbles. Stock cam. Little loud on cold crank, but giver 20 seconds and she gets mellow.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it has a lot of potential without the complication or size/weight disadvantage of the newer coyote platform. I'm debating locking out the VCT or trying really hard to keep it, but that is miles ahead of where I am now, so lots of time to think. lol.
Nothing sounds like a 3v, nothing.
That's interesting. Looking forward to everyone's serious efforts here. There are some good builds right now.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
L&M has done a 5.8 modified for 3V heads. Would need to run a Hogan intake. It was around $28,000 for the short block and intake when I priced it out. I believe they have sent one or 2 out the door. I would want heads ported like swflastang05 did with that combo.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back