Largest displacement BBB based stroker kit ideas, please

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
L&M has done a 5.8 modified for 3V heads. Would need to run a Hogan intake. It was around $28,000 for the short block and intake when I priced it out. I believe they have sent one or 2 out the door. I would want heads ported like swflastang05 did with that combo.

What did they have to do to it to all the 3v heads? Is the difference between the 5.4 and the 5.8 displacement mostly due to deck height?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
5.4 has same stroke as 5.8

So we could limit it to the 5.4 and have at least a stock truck option intake to get it running, maybe custom intake later. Some attempt to control cost.
I'm not concerned about the hood, we can run a cowl or whatever, the car can be altered.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Some machining of the head to match coolant and oil passages.

For what you are trying to do, cost control is silly. You will compromise it and would have been better off with a coyote conversion.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a good one BBB related, very nice build, lots of relative info

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/m5lp-0809-big-bore-modular-build/
I remember when that engine was built. It ended up in a 99 Cobra and running 10's. I can't remember if that was with or without the nitrous. That was one of the reasons I went big bore with my set up.

The Kaase engine was based on a 5.4 block. I think 326 is about all you'll get out of a 4.6. You might get more, but I don't think there will be much cylinder wall left.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
I remember when that engine was built. It ended up in a 99 Cobra and running 10's. I can't remember if that was with or without the nitrous. That was one of the reasons I went big bore with my set up.

The Kaase engine was based on a 5.4 block. I think 326 is about all you'll get out of a 4.6. You might get more, but I don't think there will be much cylinder wall left.

I'm not going to lie, power to cost ratio has me wondering if I'm a fool for not just running 460ci Windsor based small block and keeping it simple in my quest for power. I've been researching this a lot, I'm starting to loose my conviction for staying 3v.
I'm not so certain I could afford to fix something as complex as a 3v when I know could grenade a traditional pushrod build and get it back together "reasonably" priced.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, power to cost ratio has me wondering if I'm a fool for not just running 460ci Windsor based small block and keeping it simple in my quest for power. I've been researching this a lot, I'm starting to loose my conviction for staying 3v.
I'm not so certain I could afford to fix something as complex as a 3v when I know could grenade a traditional pushrod build and get it back together "reasonably" priced.

It's hard to argue with simple. I've been thinking about going with a stroked 351W in a 97 GT I have instead of another mod motor. But that car is a roller. It'll probably end up with a carb and a C4.

IMO cost is a wash when going for big power between push rods and mod motors. Push rods need aftermarket heads and blocks to stay together and make power. Mod motors need better rotating assemblies and head work.

A guy I knew a while ago had a fox that he did a big single turbo on E85. I don't remember all the specs about the engine, but I do remember him dropping 15k on it. It did put down 950rwhp with a little more room. And I'm sure 05stroker has spent a pretty penny on just one of his engines.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with simple. I've been thinking about going with a stroked 351W in a 97 GT I have instead of another mod motor. But that car is a roller. It'll probably end up with a carb and a C4.

IMO cost is a wash when going for big power between push rods and mod motors. Push rods need aftermarket heads and blocks to stay together and make power. Mod motors need better rotating assemblies and head work.

A guy I knew a while ago had a fox that he did a big single turbo on E85. I don't remember all the specs about the engine, but I do remember him dropping 15k on it. It did put down 950rwhp with a little more room. And I'm sure 05stroker has spent a pretty penny on just one of his engines.

I've been crunching numbers both ways, you're right for the most part it seems to be a wash, money wise.
The initial cost to set up the pushrod based engine even works out to be higher depending on the heads and valve train, at least with the stuff I've been looking at.
The difference being with the mod engine is even once built it will require FI to be competitive, where as I could easily break 1000HP with a pushrod on a fairly low level of spray.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
I've been crunching numbers both ways, you're right for the most part it seems to be a wash, money wise.
The initial cost to set up the pushrod based engine even works out to be higher depending on the heads and valve train, at least with the stuff I've been looking at.
The difference being with the mod engine is even once built it will require FI to be competitive, where as I could easily break 1000HP with a pushrod on a fairly low level of spray.
Yeah. Mod motors just can't make big power N/A. Lack of displacement kills them. That's why I'm thinking about the 351 for the 97. I can make decent power N/A and it'll live. I don't want to be working on that car all the time. It's going to be a fun vehicle.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Weight would probably be a wash as well since the mod motors need power adder.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
5.4 has same stroke as 5.8

my friend put a stroker crank in a 5.8 GT500 block to make a 6.2 with 4V heads. he was going to put it in his GT500 but sold it before he could install it.
he wanted to go 6.4 but couldn't get pistons made to handle boost. he had ross make 2 sets of pistons for him. i think he might have a extra crank and rods to make another 6.2 motor. all he needs is another 5.8 block.

i can get more details if someone wants them.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Nitrous bottle doesn't weigh much. But there are pros and cons with that too.

I want to build a super light nitrous BBB mod engine, this is literally my dream build.
My concern about CI is that I would not have enough engine displacement to get the job done with spray in all out grudge/no prep situations. Most small blocks on the bottle are pushing big block levels of displacement.

I can't find anyone with a fogger set up 3v, much less multiple stages of nitrous in an all out build.

46addict

Reaction score
Ah I didn't think about that. I imagine it would take 400hp worth of spray on a NA + nitrous mod motor to be competitive and that is a ridiculous amount. I would just set up a 323-326 stroker if it were me and get FI of your choice. Should be good enough for 900+ with the right amount of boost. In a no prep setting it's more about who has the traction and not so much a horsepower contest anyway.

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
Seems like 900 -1000 on a built 4.6 is very doable. E85, PTE 7675 Gen 2 turbo, good short block and good auto tranny. Gut the thing, get it down to 3200ish.

I've been mulling this over for the past year. From what I gather the 4.6 non stroked, non bored motor with a turbo can RPM a little better and hold together great. Those turbos are not cheap, and it takes some electronics to make the traction just right, but I think it will work.

All that being said, simplicity and ease of repair with a carbed push rod is appealing. Even throwing fuel injection on it wouldn't be too bad.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Seems like 900 -1000 on a built 4.6 is very doable. E85, PTE 7675 Gen 2 turbo, good short block and good auto tranny. Gut the thing, get it down to 3200ish.

I've been mulling this over for the past year. From what I gather the 4.6 non stroked, non bored motor with a turbo can RPM a little better and hold together great. Those turbos are not cheap, and it takes some electronics to make the traction just right, but I think it will work.

All that being said, simplicity and ease of repair with a carbed push rod is appealing. Even throwing fuel injection on it wouldn't be too bad.

I have an FTI stage 4 TH400 trans with a Pro-brake and the car has been through fairly severe levels of weight reduction.

I have no problem spraying 400-500 horsepower worth the nitrous, it's what you would do on any capable pushrod based engine, I just think the lack of cubes might hinder the engine from taking that much nitrous, I'm not certain because most people stop at about 200 and call it a day.

I read the same thing, stock stroker and boost, I'm not worried about extreme RPM, my trans is limited to 6600 RPM unless I upgrade the drum so I would stroke the BBB deal if I went that route.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'll admit I know nothing about nitrous. What's the advantage to spraying a 400 shot over forced induction? Is it a streetability thing?

Back