s/c vs turbo

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Which is best for my application?
07 GT, manual, 3:90 gears,Ford hot rod cams ,weekend summer driver , bmr k member so thinking clearance isn't an issue. My goals are track and road race. S/c has to be centri as I have a shaker hood.

Right now it's between, brenspeed throwback paxton kit, and thinking either hellion or On3 kit for turbo.

I've done searches, but my results, are a bit mixed for my application.

Graham19922011

forum member
Reaction score
Which is best for my application?

07 GT, manual, 3:90 gears,Ford hot rod cams ,weekend summer driver , bmr k member so thinking clearance isn't an issue. My goals are track and road race. S/c has to be centri as I have a shaker hood.

Right now it's between, brenspeed throwback paxton kit, and thinking either hellion or On3 kit for turbo.

I've done searches, but my results, are a bit mixed for my application.

Hellion and On3 are different options. Paxton is a good brands but I've always been biased towards procharger as far as centris. Honestly it's whatever your goals are. My personal goals are with my On3 build, but some people wanna decent street car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
you might not want FI for track or road race...just saying.
if you're set on more power, get something that doesn't require removal of your front sway.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
you might not want FI for track or road race...just saying.
if you're set on more power, get something that doesn't require removal of your front sway.

That is a good point, I hadn't thought of that. I need to break the 400hp barrier,, and honestly FI is still the best bang for the buck.

This makes me lean towards the paxton, and the linear power, without the extra room required for the intercooler. Not a super necessity up here in Canada as the hottest we'll see is in the the 90's here.

But man I love the torque the turbo produces, my Cummins, with bullydog hits hard and it's addictive, just not great for holding the road.

Last edited:

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
With your 3.90 I would go with Paxton. Turbos like load and you would want 3.31 gears imho

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
If you want to drag race it, I'd go with a blower since you're a manual trans. blowers produce power depending on rpm, turbos require a load to produce boost, and although it can be done, it's not the most simple thing in the world loading a turbo motor to produce boost off the line with a stick / clutch vs, an auto / converter.

If you want to impress on the dyno, a turbo with a manual would be hard to beat. If you're into road course, I agree with the statement above about maybe not going FI at all, where suspension and lateral traction would truly be more beneficial imo.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
There's another blower option: a P/D, such as a Kenne Bell, Whipple, DOB, or similar.

Personally, I prefer turbo over any of them, and I've tried them all. But I'm more of a drag racer with the setup.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Really not planning on drag racing at all. I like rolling linear power, like out of corners and into straight's.

I think these mustangs really shine in those conditions, that and watching me row gears in the 1/4 mile would be just embarrassing..... :)

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you are going to run it on a road course, consider an intercooler a necessity. Even with an intercooler, heat soak is an issue for a lot of road course guys.

I'm a drag racer so I love turbos but for a road course car, the power delivery coming out of a corner can be tricky to modulate. One small mistake with the turbo spooling and that car can get out of your hands fast.

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
For the mods you currently have supercharger. With the gears and cams a centri would work nice despite what you'll hear about hot rods and boost. For turbo you'd be better off switching those out. Lito said my hotrods were fine since I wasn't going full deep end max effort, just fun street. I'm happy with my intercooled Paxton 2200. But having lived with it if I could do it again I'd go procharger d1 in a heart tbeat for the pure and simple fact that the prochargers have their own independent belt drive setup where as the Paxton feeds into the factory setup. A belt swap on a Paxton is a pita. Like, frustrating needing 4 hands and an afternoon. The procharger is nice and simple. Procharger throws a belt you can limp it home. Paxton you're calling for a tow.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
For the mods you currently have supercharger. With the gears and cams a centri would work nice despite what you'll hear about hot rods and boost. For turbo you'd be better off switching those out. Lito said my hotrods were fine since I wasn't going full deep end max effort, just fun street. I'm happy with my intercooled Paxton 2200. But having lived with it if I could do it again I'd go procharger d1 in a heart tbeat for the pure and simple fact that the prochargers have their own independent belt drive setup where as the Paxton feeds into the factory setup. A belt swap on a Paxton is a pita. Like, frustrating needing 4 hands and an afternoon. The procharger is nice and simple. Procharger throws a belt you can limp it home. Paxton you're calling for a tow.
Has yours ever actually left you stranded? I have a2200 on a Coyote, and after a little tinkering getting all the pulleys to track the belt better, I feel pretty comfortable. I like getting a large accessory, (like a blower) as close to the crank bearing as possible, just to keep as much deflection off of the crank-shaft. I have a D1 on a truck and I agree all day that it's very easy to deal with the drive system being only the crank, and the blower, but the thought of it being so far (out) on the crank stresses me more than being ran in conjunction with all the accessories like the Paxton on my Coyote.

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
No Thankfully but it came close. I had a freak crank pulley break, the middle separated out from the rest and the belt got chewed. It happened literally on my street so I was able to coast back to the garage.

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on how much road racing you want to do, you may want to rethink a few things. Roadracing puts a ton of stress on the motor and the weak links will be exposed in no time, throwing FI on a stock motor, you're asking for trouble, heat soak... You may want to consider Ford Racing 5.3 B53 shortblock, some head work and you can even keep your hot rods. You'll make well over 400 hp and in my opinion the car will be much more manageable and you will more than likely run quicker times and you don't have to worry about grenading the motor.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Depending on how much road racing you want to do, you may want to rethink a few things. Roadracing puts a ton of stress on the motor and the weak links will be exposed in no time, throwing FI on a stock motor, you're asking for trouble, heat soak... You may want to consider Ford Racing 5.3 B53 shortblock, some head work and you can even keep your hot rods. You'll make well over 400 hp and in my opinion the car will be much more manageable and you will more than likely run quicker times and you don't have to worry about grenading the motor.

That is something I never even considered. The motor is sitting around 90k miles, so I would need a refresh regardless. With the 5.3 would it be a stroker?. I could always add boost later as well.just wondering if my headers would work?

I need to do some homework.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
That is something I never even considered. The motor is sitting around 90k miles, so I would need a refresh regardless. With the 5.3 would it be a stroker?. I could always add boost later as well.just wondering if my headers would work?

I need to do some homework.

Yes more homework the better!

Here is my .02

If you are want a "fun" car to track a few times a year.. boost the 3v with a inter-cooled system. Mid 400 hp would be fun. With your 3.90 gears go with supercharger.

If you want to be competitive in road racing then things can get stupid. You could do a 5.3 but those blocks are iron! Which is no good for road racing. You would be hanging a cast iron anchor on the front of your car. In a place that doesn't need any more weight added. Imho.
Heat is your number 1 enemy. (Obviously this shouldn't be news to anyone). One most serious "race" cars you will not see a supercharger or turbo. They add weight and heat. A lot of heat. Many have done what you are thinking. Search this forum for info you seek. It's here trust me.
I was in your boat a wile ago. I have a 05 GT and am addicted to road course action. Was going boosted 3v route but it's a lot of work keeping things cool for 20 min runs. That's why I'm going the route pictured. :) Best of luck.
d81900d292afea03dc4b2942aa43343e.jpg
c8c0fbb40b845395e64eb13627d7013f.jpg

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
If the racing is prime concern I may first find out what's local, find whatever racing series it is you can make work, and build around a specific class that you can afford to be competitive.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
If you want to go FI at the road course save yourself a lot of headache and plan on running e85 from the start.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Myself, If 400 was my goal I would go NA.

I just happen to have a friend selling a really nice 400+hp NA 3v that has never been run for very reasonable money. Plug and play.

46addict

Reaction score
The dedicated belt with the Procharger is nice. I had to drive the car once with the blower belt off due to breakage and the car drove like it always does during part throttle. Above 3k rpm I could feel it getting fat/rich and did not push it any further.

But the access issues with the serpentine belt still remain. The blower & bracket is in the way when changing the serpentine belt. What used to be a 15 minute job when the car was NA turned into 3 hours.

Last edited:

1sloGT

forum member
Reaction score
So you're nicely saying belt changes are a bitch on em all and the grass ain't any greener?

Other than still being able to limp around.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back