Please Help, cam phaser problems

Stanglife

Reaction score
I have a 2006 mustang gt, I have a MMR forged 4.75 stroker engine with on3 performance turbo kit in the car now, I don't remember which side but this is the 3rd time one of the cam phaser have come un done it is making the horrible ticking knock sound that the phasers make each time they've went bad, it is unwinding the spring inside the phaser, only on 1 side of the heads, I have stock heads and brand new ford racing camshafts on the mmr 4.75 motor to save me a lil cash for now, I realize it's not an ideal combination just temporary, but I don't know what to do besides try a cam phaser lockout kit with the approved tune and hope that works, im just trying to get the car running descent and driveable again until i get it to a tuner, and no I haven't had a dyno tune yet, motor has 80 or less miles on it... and I have already bought and installed a different set of new ford racing hot rod cams due to fact mechanic thought maybe cams were the problem...any ideas or help is much appreciated

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
Our 06 is on its 4th phaser on the driver side. Replaced the stock one with the FRPP kit because they were both making noise. About 10k miles later it went out. Replaced it with a Napa piece. Few thousand miles later the Napa piece died. Now there's an Amazon special in there. The first two were with the engine stock. Even the tune. I couldn't find a rhyme or reason to it happening. Now I just knock on wood.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Stanglife

Reaction score
I don't understand why it keeps happening, I hate that issue for u as well...can add up $$ wise

I guess I'm gonna try the lock out phaser with the tune that comes with them...and hope for best... just to access my phasers..gotta pull turbo and piping out of way then timing cover etc.. to get in there good... and money adds up since I'm having my mechanic do it..

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back