Build motor or buy short/long block

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
I ordered a CPR turbo kit for my 2012 earlier this year and it has taken longer than expected to get it so I started thinking about building my motor before I install the kit since I have some more expendable cash again.

I asked for just a 5psi spring for the kit since I didn't know if I was going to install the oil pump gears or do anything to the bottom end and I just wanted to be safe while having some extra power to play with. The car has 80k on it so I figured I would just go easy on the motor until I rebuild it. I also opted to reinstall my stock intake manifold instead of the boss so I had no reason to rev the crap out of it.

Now I have started thinking of building before I install the kit so I need some opinions. I have never had an engine built before so I don't have any idea what a good quote for labor is and i don't know what good parts I should buy. I know MMR has rotating assembly kits but I have heard bad things about them.

On the other hand I though about just buying a short block from l&m or jpc. Or going with a complete long block. And if I did go with a long block should I get one of the new generation coyotes? If so do what do I need to make it work with my car? New pcm? New wiring harness? Is it more work than it's worth?

I live next to lamotta performance so jake is helping me with my car and all of this came up because we talked and he said that with the mileage of my car and since it's the gen 1 coyote he didn't think it was worth installing the oil pump gears. That I should either stick with stock or go with a fully built motor.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to your guys thoughts.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I'm personally going to upgrade to a long block S550 motor from Ford racing if I ever upgrade. http://www.fordracingbyspeedshopdir...MIt8-osbiV1QIV24eyCh3A6gKpEAQYBSABEgLB6PD_BwE I've read and heard of several 15+ Mustangs making in excess of 800whp on stock engines with either race gas or E85 to keep detonation away on boost, and that's a pretty good upgrade for 11-14 imo, and still "factory-ish". This would require swapping your existing cams to be compatible with your existing ECU from what I've gathered.

If your wanting 4 digit power and have a good local machine shop, get the parts you need and let them go to town unless your pinched for time. At that point I'd get a reputable company's long block.

Last edited:

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Contact Tim at Mustang Performance Racing. 561-58-0188. He is a Mod Motor Guru and is in Boynton Beach Florida. he can get you situated.

46addict

Reaction score
When you build the block yourself you can be particular about what goes in the build, right down to the wrist pin diameter and piston ring material. You can also have the machinist/builder set clearances and gaps to your liking.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back