Valve cover oil leak

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
I have an oil leak and the likely culprit seems to be the driver side valve cover gasket as I see oil on the power steering pump below it. The oil is then making it's way down the power steering hose and leaking on the ground. Anyone ever run into an issue with leaking valve cover gaskets? I searched and didn't find much. I figured I'd ask before heading to Ford to buy a new gasket. Thanks!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The factory valve cover gaskets are reusable, so if the valve cover is leaking then it's either loose or bent.

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
What ^ said, plus changing them out is not that difficult.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Have you taken out some tools and attempted to tighten the bolts? Maybe they backed off slightly. Not that difficult to do.

Phil1098

Reaction score
It is required to put a dab of black RTV at the joint between the head and the front cover. That may have given up. It is super easy to pull it and redo the RTV. As has been said, the gasket itself is rubber and can be reused. If that is where the leak is it HAS to be redone, once oil gets past RTV there is no amount of tightening that will seal it. The front cover, head, and valve cover need to be 100% free of oil where that RTV goes when installing or it won't seal either. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:

max2000jp

forum member
Reaction score
It is required to put a dab of black RTV at the joint between the head and the front cover. That may have given up. It is super easy to pull it and redo the RTV. As has been said, the gasket itself is rubber and can be reused. If that is where the leak is it HAS to be redone, once oil gets past RTV there is no amount of tightening that will seal it. The front cover, head, and valve cover need to be 100% free of oil where that RTV goes when installing or it won't seal either. Don't ask me how I know.

I'm thinking that the RTV has given way and is leaking. The car is 12 years old, so factory RTV probably is leaking. The car sits in the winter and I haven't been driving it much the last couple of years. I am going to pull the valve cover, put a new OEM gasket on, and add black RTV in the two locations . Did you use Permatex Ultra Black or the factory specified Motorcraft TA-30 sealant?

Phil1098

Reaction score
Can't help there, mine never leaked. I had mine off when I put in cams and replaced them with new FRPP blue covers at the same time. The leak I know about needing a dry surface for RTV was my daughters VW Beetle oil pan that I had off.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I tested the PCV and it's working, plus I have breathers on both valve covers.

Ding ding ding ding.

im a ding-a-ling. Deleted my text about the wrong side of the engine. Lol

Have you looked at the cam position sensor to see if that might be it. It's I kinda in the right spot.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back