Uni-frame alignment ?

'14StangGT

forum member
Reaction score
Uni-body / frame alignment ?

My convertible top has never fit exactly right since I bought the car.

I'm 2nd owner, and I've never had a fender bender in the car (only person that drives it), came with a clean Carfax, but now I'm pretty sure something happened.

The convertible top - on the drivers side, is about a 1/2" to far past the hole. And after going over the car, I can see the passenger rear quarter panel has signs of damage.

Car tracks straight.

No signs of weird tire wear.

My question is: can our cars be straightened out ?

I'm frustrated beyond words..... Bought it this way, so no one to blame but myself. Thought the top just needed adjustment. Now I know better.

Can't do an insurance claim, so if it is fixable, it's going to be out of pocket.

Any thoughts ? Should I just find another car ?

:shrug::shrug:

Last edited:

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My convertible top has never fit exactly right since I bought the car.

I'm 2nd owner, and I've never had a fender bender in the car (only person that drives it), came with a clean Carfax, but now I'm pretty sure something happened.

The convertible top - on the drivers side, is about a 1/2" to far past the hole. And after going over the car, I can see the passenger rear quarter panel has signs of damage.

Car tracks straight.

No signs of weird tire wear.

My question is: can our cars be straightened out ?

I'm frustrated beyond words..... Bought it this way, so no one to blame but myself. Thought the top just needed adjustment. Now I know better.

Can't do an insurance claim, so if it is fixable, it's going to be out of pocket.

Any thoughts ? Should I just find another car ?

:shrug::shrug:

As RocketcarX said, they absolutely can be straightened out. Had mine done 3 years ago after a rear ending.

With regards to the top, just a couple of questions. If the top goes past the whole by about 1/2 an inch, how do you ultimately get it to close and seal? Are you able to maneuver the top into place with some muscle? Also, do you notice any problems with the windows not lining up properly or getting a good seal when they're closed? While I have no doubt your car might have had some body repair that was paid for out of pocket, it's entirely possible that it may just be the tops frame assembly that got knocked out of wack, so to speak.

mrt2you

forum member
Reaction score
I was kind of amazed how cheap frame alignment rigs are when
I stumbled on them looking for a used wheel alignment system
(which I have almost $3500 into at this point).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-FEET-4-T...1831678&pid=100005&rk=5&rkt=6&sd=302377526192

that's just the frame machine. in a LOT of situations it's almost worthless without a measuring system.

to the original poster. if the car tracks straight and has even gaps the uni-body is probably straight.
are you sure the top isn't out of adjustment?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back