LOL!

A008.jpg

You got balls my man!

That shit would not fly at my house! :roflmao:

Gerardo

Preston951

Foglight delete kit!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I made a set of these myself using this thread. Awesome!

However... everyone at AFM is telling me that "epoxy-steel" people use to fill the hole is very unsafe. They say it'll flake off, deteriorate, etc from vibration and gas vapors. Any truth to this? If one of those little plugs ever came out the engine would be toast.

I don't want to install the DIYers before I gain some confidence. :)

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Are there any before/after numbers on these? Do these gain you more hp? Tq?

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
However... everyone at AFM is telling me that "epoxy-steel" people use to fill the hole is very unsafe. They say it'll flake off, deteriorate, etc from vibration and gas vapors.
I don't want to install the DIYers before I gain some confidence. :)

This is my concern too. I have a set waiting for me in the garage. I can see this happening if the area to be filled was not prepared correctly. As in oily, dirty, etc... or was applied with little dry time. I'd hate to have to be the guinea pig for this one.

Steven,
Have you had a chance to do yours?

Gerardo

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I have a set of stockers in my garage also that i want to try out with. The instructions are pretty good (thanks kleistang!) , but i have the same concern as others on the liquid steel coming loose into the engine.

Styre

It Happens
Reaction score
i used liquid steel on a cracked oil pan one time and it never broke/cracked again. I think the oil pan gets hotter then a intake. It looked the same a year after i done it as it did the 1st day. I guess you could use it on scrap metal and beat it with a hammer or something?

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What is was Ford's reasoning for these plates in the first place and what is to be gained by deleting them? I've done some reading on here and I know there is HP to be gained by doing this mod...but what are the effects to driveability?

RH

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080314352

It is known in the internal combustion engine arts to provide variable valve mechanisms in the runners of the intake air manifold to provide charge motion control. The "charge" refers to the air or air-fuel mixture entering the combustion chamber, and the "motion" refers to the swirling, tumbling motion of that mixture. A charge-control valve serves to disrupt the laminarity of air or air/fuel mixture moving along the intake manifold runner and imparts a specific turbulent motion to the mixture entering the cylinder head. This motion is desirable to promote complete atomization of the fuel in the air stream and to insure even distribution of the air and fuel. A well atomized, homogeneous mixture of air and fuel results in better burn characteristics in the cylinder and allows for more efficient engine operation. Most cylinder heads are designed for good mixture motion at high flow conditions, so a charge motion control valve is needed only for lower rpm or idle conditions to promote charge motion by guiding the flow. During higher flow conditions the valve elements are removed from the flow path to avoid flow restriction. Such restriction can be undesirable at very high air flows wherein high turbulence is already inherent in the flow, and flow restriction should be minimized.
...and...

Butterfly-type pivoting valves are well known. The valve element itself is mounted on a pivotable shaft mounted transversely of the air flow path through the runner. In some older prior art embodiments, the shaft is mounted approximately centrally on the valve element, which provides a force-balance valve requiring minimal power for actuation. However, a drawback of this arrangement is that the valve and the shaft, even in the wide open position, create a very large obstruction to the air flow through the runner, which is highly undesirable at high air flow rates in modern engines.

So, in short, the valves theoretically give you a bit more torque down low by increasing flow rate and creating a more homogeneous air-fuel mixture, but subsequently also restrict the flow up top. In pracsis, however, I don't think anyone has noticed any drawbacks by removing the vales. Advantages outweigh disadvantages. I may be wrong though.

Mustang30212

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are the gains on a n/a bone stock GT??? Any clue?

Thanks for the info..that' answers a lot of questions for me.

RH

tapsport

Reaction score
CMDP

I was wondering about leaving the middle holes open and just tapping and putting a bolt in the end one, anybody ever tried this?? very nice write up!!!

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
I was wondering about leaving the middle holes open and just tapping and putting a bolt in the end one, anybody ever tried this?? very nice write up!!!

i think that would cause a bit of turbulence. its worth a shot i guess though

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
You got balls my man!

That shit would not fly at my house! :roflmao:

Gerardo

This works great for all kinds of stuff, any chrome or polished parts, Drum Hardware etc. as long as the stuff is as clean as you can get it before you Dish Wash it.

Years ago my brother cleaned his 14" Keystone Mag Wheels in his dishwasher one at a time thay cvame out great.

I wouldn't recommend this technique with a woman in the house.

Casey4s

forum member
Reaction score
The set I have I haven't installed yet, I am waiting until Spring for warmer working weather.

Flash_of_Yellow

forum member
Reaction score

This would be the same logic as drilling holes between all the intake runners in your aluminum heads... don't do it. The fuel injectors inject fuel directly above this point and if you are drawing air into the third cylinder down the block and you have open holes, then it can draw air in from the two adjacent runners (which don't have fuel) meaning it could cause you to run a little lean.

Also, for all of us that remember carburetors, you know that fuel is "sucked" into them by the venturi because air moving at a velocity has a lower pressure than non moving air (same reason a plane can fly). Leaving the holes open can cause this venturi effect to suck air in from the adjacent runners.

06Torch

forum member
Reaction score
?

Ok, it's been a while now. Have we found out what to use and what to stay away from when performing this DIY? Quick Steel , JB Weld, etc... Does anyone have this mod for over a year? I'm too chicken shit to do this to my car for fear of it coming loose and finding itself in the rest of the motor.

Gerardo

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back