November 2010 Car Of The Month: Jeostang

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
DSCN1474-1.jpg

November 2010 Car Of The Month: James Otto's 2005 Mustang GT

This month we have another east coast car. What can I say, there are some bad ass cars back east that rip up the track every weekend. This car is a turbo car that is all business, destroying the competition. Lets take a closer look at this car and see what it takes to run 9.80s at 136 mph.

Starting with the engine, this is a 322 cid Rich Groh / JPC built big bore stroker motor! Other goodies include Livernois Stage 3 heads, Rich Groh spec turbo cams, and a JPC intake manifold. Lets not forget the Precision 76mm ball bearing turbo! While pushing a modest 15psi, this combo is still good for easy 9 second timeslips. Just think of the potential at 20 psi!

DSCN1483-1.jpg

But, as we all know, this kind of power means nothing if you can't get it to the ground. Helping James with that is a built 4R70W with a trans brake and an UCC 3400 stall speed converter. A built and shortened 8.8 rearend with a spool, 3.73 gears, 33 spline axles, and 9 inch ends transmit the power to 28 X 10.5 M/T ET Drags. A BMR upper control arm, BMR anti roll bar, Metco lower control arms, and cobra jet springs help get this car in the high 1.3X 60' times. Over the winter, James plans on pushing it a little harder with a 4300 stall speed converter.

DSCN1155-1.jpg

The interior is all business with Kirkey race seats, a JPC 8 point bar, Autometer gauges, and a Painless Wiring switch panel. Check out the TCI outlaw shifter. That looks really nice.....I think I am going to get one. A JPC rear seat delete finishes out the interior. Plans are to update the 8 point bar to an 8.50 cert cage over the winter.

DSCN1496JPG-1.jpg

DSCN1498JPG-1.jpg

One of the things we simply can't overlook with these cars once we want big power is the fuel system. James opted to go with a return style fuel system. A massive magnaflow fuel pump and regulator, with a 10 gallon fuel cell and JPC fuel rails keep this motor fed. Notice the tiny Power Cell light weight battery. Its only 9lbs!

DSCN1486-1.jpg

Complete Mod List:

Precision 76mm Billet Ball Bearing Turbo
Rich Groh / JPC built 322 Big Bore Stroker
Livernois Stage 3 heads
Rich Groh Spec Turbo Cams
JPC Intake Manifold
JPC fuel rails
Blow though setup
Return Style Fuel
Catback Delete
Magna Fuel External Fuel Pump
Trunk Mount 10 gallon fuel cell
Power Cell Light weight battery (9 lbs relocated to trunk)

Built 4r70w with transbrake
B&M Supercooler with fan
TCI outlaw shifter
UCC non locking converter 3400 stall
Built shortened Rear, moser spool, Motorsport 3:73 gear, moser 33 spline axles, 9" ends
Aerospace rear drag brakes
Front Bogarts wheels
28x3.5 Mickey Thompson ET Fronts
Rear Weld Wheels on
28x10.5 Mickey Thompson ET Drags
BMR anti roll bar
BMR adjustable upper control arm
BMR Radiator Support Delete
Metco Lower Control Arms
CJ springs
Tokico Dspecs Shocks and struts
JPC Rear Seat delete
JPC Parachute mount
Kirkey Seats
Custom JPC 8 point roll bar
Recordable Autometer 5” monster tach
Autometer cobalt water, Fuel and boost gauges
Diablosport Predator
Painless wiring switch panel (radio delete)
AC delete
Hallman Manual boost controller
MDS 2 Step

James plans for the winter include:

JPC Air to Water intercooler
Re-stall Converter to 4300
PA SFI Bell housing
AMS-1000 Boost controller
Lightweight Pin on Hood
Skinny Kid race wing

Here is James in his own words:

I purchased the car in 2007 with a mildly built 281 motor and PH turbo. My main reason for purchasing the car was for a weekend cruiser and track car. After a night at the track I was getting a pretty bad knock. Turns out I had spun a bearing. A few months later I took the car to JPC on a Saturday morning and explained to Justin that I just wanted to rebuild the motor and maybe throw some more boost at it. Needless to say I changed my mind quite a few times and a year later I ended up with the car I have now which is still a work in progress. I’m not exactly sure what it threw down on the dyno, but it has run a best time of 9.83 @ 136. I’ve attended a few NMRA races this year and ran in the MOD Muscle class, next year my goal is to try and attend all the races.

I plan on keeping this car for a long time, my short term plans are to lower IATs by installing a JPC a/w intercooler, loosen the converter, PA SFI bell, AMS-1000 boost controller with CO2 controlled wastegate, 8.50 cert cage, throw on a light weight pin on hood, lighten the car up some more, and a skinny kid race wing.

I’m 35 years old, live in Laurel MD and I am married to my lovely wife Coni. I am a computer analyst for George Washington University in Washington DC, and I also have a computer consulting business. My love for mustangs started when I was 17 working for a sports and gaming complex. One night after work one of the off duty police officers working security took me for a ride in is 86 supercharged GT. I had never been pinned back to a seat like that in my life and I loved it. A few weeks after that I parked my 89 caviler z24 and purchased a black 93 5.0 LX Hatchback, since then I’ve always had a mustang in my garage. I started out just racing in the streets while also visiting the track. I’ve since stopped the street racing and do all my racing on the track.

I want to thank S197forum.com for this honor. The members tech and knowledge on the forum is outstanding. I want to thank Justin and the guys at JPC. They are a top notch shop. Justin really cares about his customers and would do anything to keep his customers happy. For example, I consider myself a pretty laid back guy, I understand that things go wrong with this hobby and the time it takes for builds like this, I think Justin is just the opposite. It bothers him to no end with something goes wrong and will do anything to fix it. During Ford Fever during a qualifying run my rearend decided to take a dump (no pun intended). I figured I was done for the weekend. Justin called one of his guys (who was at a wedding mind you) and they changed my gears out that night and had me back racing Sunday morning. Customer service like that is hard to come by anymore. Justin and his team is top notch!!!

I want to first thank my Wife Coni, this is her car as much as it is mine. It’s an awesome feeling to have a wife that supports what I do and get excited about races just as I do. She helps me out in the pits and takes tons of nice pictures and videos, and she keeps me from falling asleep during long trips.

Congrats James from the staff of S197forum.com!

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Congrats brother! You've got a very nice machine on your hands and your hands know what to do with it! Nice times and what a great build!

HOLYWD

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
Congratulations Brother ! Sweet set-up , love the car .

Croft

It's GOOOOOOO Time
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Way to go, James!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back