The Great Oil Debate

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is really difficult to tell anything from one report, you need a trend line to really figure stuff out.

1/4MILEMUSTANG

forum member
Reaction score
input on oil.Brad penn or Amsoil??

Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with brad penn green racing oil versus Amsoil? Im fairly familiar with Amsoil but have had a few people tell me Brad penn was the good stuff!

cbracoupe

forum member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the Pennzoil Ultra?

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there's a entire thread on oil. merging this into it

Rie2183

Reaction score
5.0 Coyote w/ Track Pack oil weight options

Ok, guys. I need help deciding what weight oil is safe and practical to run in my '13 GT w/ track pack. I've done some research and learned that Ford recommended 5w-20 for GT's and 5w-50 for GT's with track pack or the Boss trim. First off, why is this? And secondly is it ok to run a 10w-40 weight for normal driving. I don't take my car to the track and for the most part I'm a pretty conservative driver. I put about 600-650 miles on my car a month. I've always been a fan of Royal Purple oil, but I don't belive they make a 5w-50 weight oil. Ford (Of course) recommends Motocraft brand oil, but that stuff is $15 a quart plus shipping!! I i don't mind sending money on quality oil to keep my 5.0 running in tip top shape, but I don't want to spend unnecessary money on Motocraft oil if I don't have to. Please help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times. I'm new to the group. Feel free to post a link to a previous tread if it applies. Thanks again!!

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
The coyote will run most oil you throw at it. Most people run 5w-20 or 5w-30 for everyday driving. Most time 5w-50 is only used when you are going to autocross the car. Just run 5w-20 or 5w-30. Which ever one makes you sleep better at night. I run what ever full synthetic is on sale.

5w-50 is only recommend to track pack and the BOSS due to people who buy those cars have a higher chance of autocrossing them then a normal GT. As that's the money you spent extra for is factory autocross parts.

Last edited:

Rie2183

Reaction score
The coyote will run most oil you throw at it. Most people run 5-20 or 5-30 for everyday driving. Most time 5-50 is only used when you are going to autocross the car. Just run 5w-20 or 5w-30. Which ever one makes you sleep better at night. I run what ever full synthetic is on sale.

Thanks! Im just making sure I don't make the wrong choice and mess up my engine or sacrifice performance. This is the first oil change to my Mustang.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
FYI this is considered a 'chit chat' topic on this forum, not tech. Our tech forums are held to a higher standard than most other forums. Dave will be along shortly to move this but in the meantime don't get all butthurt if you get flamed.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There's so many threads on this already... Did you even search? Fuck.
images

Rie2183

Reaction score
FYI this is considered a 'chit chat' topic on this forum, not tech. Our tech forums are held to a higher standard than most other forums. Dave will be along shortly to move this but in the meantime don't get all butthurt if you get flamed.

My bad, man. Like I said I'm new. Still learning. I'm not the least bit concerned if they move or remove my post,

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Use Dr. McGullicutty's Elixer oil. It's made from the blubber baby sea lions, and the best part is each bottle has a picture of the ACTUAL sea lion they killed to make it. Usually being cute, just cuddling with its mother.

Rie2183

Reaction score
Use Dr. McGullicutty's Elixer oil. It's made from the blubber baby sea lions, and the best part is each bottle has a picture of the ACTUAL sea lion they killed to make it. Usually being cute, just cuddling with its mother.

PERFECT! As long as it comes with a free sample of unicorn tear washer fluid.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there's a entire thread on oil. merging this into it
Again......

This

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
Ok, guys. I need help deciding what weight oil is safe and practical to run in my '13 GT w/ track pack. I've done some research and learned that Ford recommended 5w-20 for GT's and 5w-50 for GT's with track pack or the Boss trim. First off, why is this? And secondly is it ok to run a 10w-40 weight for normal driving. I don't take my car to the track and for the most part I'm a pretty conservative driver. I put about 600-650 miles on my car a month. I've always been a fan of Royal Purple oil, but I don't belive they make a 5w-50 weight oil. Ford (Of course) recommends Motocraft brand oil, but that stuff is $15 a quart plus shipping!! I i don't mind sending money on quality oil to keep my 5.0 running in tip top shape, but I don't want to spend unnecessary money on Motocraft oil if I don't have to. Please help me make an informed decision. Thanks in advance!

Sorry if this has been asked 100 times. I'm new to the group. Feel free to post a link to a previous tread if it applies. Thanks again!!

The reason Ford specifies 5W50 on the Track Pack/Boss 302 cars is because of the assumption that they are going to be driven in an environment where they are run at high (like 3k+) RPM for 20+ minutes on end and that heavier oil is necessary to provide the protection the engine needs when doing so. If all you are doing is DD'ing the car, run a good 5W30 and you should be fine. I have a hard time believing there are that many differences between the non TP Coyote and the TP Coyote where running a 5W30 or 5W20 is going to damage the motor at all if all you are doing is DDing the car and occasionally winding it out. It's that minutes on end at high RPM that I'd start running the heavier oils.

Autocross doesn't count either FWIW... track days yes, autocross not so much. A one ish minute thrash through the entire RPM range 3-6 times with plenty of cool off time between runs isn't going to tax the motor that much to need the heavier oil.

Rie2183

Reaction score
The reason Ford specifies 5W50 on the Track Pack/Boss 302 cars is because of the assumption that they are going to be driven in an environment where they are run at high (like 3k+) RPM for 20+ minutes on end and that heavier oil is necessary to provide the protection the engine needs when doing so. If all you are doing is DD'ing the car, run a good 5W30 and you should be fine. I have a hard time believing there are that many differences between the non TP Coyote and the TP Coyote where running a 5W30 or 5W20 is going to damage the motor at all if all you are doing is DDing the car and occasionally winding it out. It's that minutes on end at high RPM that I'd start running the heavier oils.

Autocross doesn't count either FWIW... track days yes, autocross not so much. A one ish minute thrash through the entire RPM range 3-6 times with plenty of cool off time between runs isn't going to tax the motor that much to need the heavier oil.

Thanks for the I for, bro. I'm new to owning a mustang and new to this group so it's nice to get A straightforward answer rather than sarcastic comments. I really appreciate it.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Blackstone UOA for JDM built 302 Stroker

Got my oil analysis today. The engine is a JDM built 302. It has about 8500 miles on it first half was supercharged and second half as of right now is n/a.

Guess at 8500 engine is still breaking in? I used valvoline vr1 10w-30 for the first 3000 then switched to Castrol 5w-30 since.

Glad the TBN is good based on that oil was about 6 months old with just cold start driving only.

c241e38aae030bf973ef05bdf9149d10.jpg

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
➕ 1 on the Pennzoil ultra platinum. Made the switch to it and and very happy when paired to a FL-820S. You can find it everywhere and my oil analysis has come back looking great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back