Ported EcoBoost head

Reaction score
No updated pump yet, as Greg stated companies are testing different Aux fuel systems. Squirting fuel into a dry intake might be tricky.

Greg MAP has been tuning it, I purchased a life time tune from them. I've also been talking with Cavalli, hoping I get one of the first batch stock location turbo's

claudermilk

Reaction score
It seems to be taking a long time for an aftermarket fuel pump to be developed for the EcoBoost engines. I know the 2g Fusion guys have been looking ever since the update, and the Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, etc. guys have been looking longer. It must be a tricky engineering problem to be taking so long.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It seems to be taking a long time for an aftermarket fuel pump to be developed for the EcoBoost engines. I know the 2g Fusion guys have been looking ever since the update, and the Focus, Fiesta, Explorer, etc. guys have been looking longer. It must be a tricky engineering problem to be taking so long.

The input development cost versus retail price to recoup and make a profit must not make sense.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's a very different setup, you normally have a standard low pressure fuel pump in the tank that moves fuel up to the rail and a second high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay that puts out around 2000-2200psi to the injectors. So its not a simple in tank pump and injector upgrade. Easiest and cheapest route would be methanol injection to supplement fuel. Beyond that next best option is a secondary system running traditional fuel injectors spraying into the intake manifold which requires modifications to install bungs and mount for an additional rail and said injectors and supporting pump lines/regulator.

Last edited:

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there a diagram of the fuel system? I've been wondering about it since it's a totally new kinda deal.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yeah its the extremely high pressure the fuel is in injected at that allows the engine to get the same amount of energy on less fuel. Here is a generic bosch di setup which is what ford's ecoboost lineups use some variants of.

pic120_zpsfrjo8xqz.gif

This is a description of the 3.5 ecoboost system.

Intake and Fuel System
The fuel system on these engines has two sides: a low-pressure system and a high-pressure system. If you’ve worked with DI diesels, then the concept isn’t new to you. The low-pressure system is a mechanical returnless system consisting of an ordinary-looking electric fuel pump mounted inside the gas tank and a three-port fuel filter. Although it technically does have a “return,” via the third fuel filter port, it is still considered a returnless system. The low-pressure pump supplies 65 psi of fuel pressure through the lines leading to the high-pressure pump.
The driver module controls the pump’s speed by duty cycling the pump’s ground circuit. The low-side pressure system has a fuel pump driver module that is commanded by the PCM, similar to an electronic returnless system.
The low-side pump operation is unique. When the courtesy lights are activated, either via the remote key fob or door ajar switches, the power saver relay inside the smart junction box (non-serviceable relay) sends a “wake up” voltage to the PCM.
91246Photo2jpg_00000045663.jpg
When the PCM wakens, it turns the fuel pump relay on for two seconds, priming the low-side fuel system. This is done to remove any fuel vapor inside the lines at the high-pressure fuel pump. However, when the PCM receives a valid rpm signal, it actives the fuel pump driver module, which then turns on the fuel pump.
There is no low-side pressure sensor, yet the PCM does control the low-side pump speed via the control module. The low side has two speeds: low and high.
To achieve a low speed, the PCM sends a 37% duty cycle signal to the fuel pump driver module (FPDM), which in turn, operates the pump at around 60% capacity. If the PCM determines a need for higher fuel delivery, it can increase its duty cycle to 47%, which will raise the low-side pump’s operating capacity to 100%.
Low-side pressure must be tested using a conventional fuel pressure gauge. The early models have a test port on the accumulator. Later models will require a test adapter hose to be installed.
The pressure accumulator on the low-side lines is used to help prevent fuel vaporization. The low-side pressure system uses a more high-tech version of the old “inertia switch” that we’ve seen on Ford vehicles since the early ‘80s.
It uses what is called an “event notification system.” With this system, the restraints control module (RCM) will notify the PCM or the FPDM (depending on model) directly to shut down the pump if a crash is detected. Under normal operation, cycling the ignition will restore fuel pump operation from a collision detection shut-down.
91246Photo3jpg_00000045664.jpg
That is, when everything is performing as it is designed. That detail is important to remember because as repair techs, we usually only see them when something isn’t working as designed. So obviously the ability to scan the RCM, at least to look for collision detection codes, has become a part of diagnosing an inoperative electric fuel pump.
The high-pressure system consists of a high-pressure fuel pump that is mechanical and driven by a special four-point camshaft lobe that is only for pump operation. The plunger action of the high-pressure pump boosts fuel pressure up to 2,150 psi.
At these pressures, it is critical to exercise caution! High-pressure fuel can cut the skin, injecting fuel into the blood stream, which can be fatal.
The high-pressure fuel is in the metal line leaving the pump to the rails as well as the fuel rails. There is also no return line in the high-pressure system. The high-pressure pump mounts on the left valve cover. Pressure in the high-pressure system swings widely with rpm and demand.
Pressures here will swing from as low as 1,000 psi to 2,150 psi depending on conditions.
Pressure is controlled by balancing the volume through the pump and into the rail versus the volume passing through the injectors. One complete revolution of the camshaft produces four strokes of the high-pressure pump.
At maximum, these four strokes equal 1 cc of fuel delivered to the rail. If met with a dead end, that 1 cc of fuel would raise the rail pressure by about 800 psi. The injector cycling will vent that fuel into the cylinders at around 21 cc per second.
91246photo4Bjpg_00000045665.jpg
The PCM raises and lowers the high-side fuel pressure by pulsing the fuel inlet valve (solenoid) on the side of the pump.
The inlet valve controls not only the amount of fuel that enters the pump chamber, but also the amount that bleeds back into the low-pressure system when the pump’s plunger pushes the fuel out.
The more the pump is filled, and the less that bleeds back into the low side, the higher the pressure will be in the rails. The PCM monitors a fuel rail pressure sensor to determine the needed action at the volume regulator. The pressure sensor is mounted to the top of the left-hand rail.
The gasoline DI injector is unique. The injector is opened purely by electrical pulse width like a conventional gas engine injector.
The GTDI injectors mount underneath the lower intake and are noticeably unique in shape to allow them to be inserted into the head. Due to the much higher fuel pressures, they are less likely to become fouled with deposits than a conventional gasoline injector. The high-pressure spray pattern also increases fuel atomization.

Last edited:

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
The Stock Turbo is already done at my current 360/390 level I'm at. Hoping for 400/400, with stock turbo.. prob. wishful thinking.
With this head the numbers will come easy with a turbo swap..

What other things do you have done to the car then? I saw the full exhaust, anything else? I just got an Ecoboost so I'm curious how the bolts on affect the power.

Reaction score
What other things do you have done to the car then? I saw the full exhaust, anything else? I just got an Ecoboost so I'm curious how the bolts on affect the power.
Catless down pipe, JLT CAI, catback exh, Cobb AP3 with email E30 and 91 octane tunes. Best bang is the Cobb tuner and tune from MAP. You'll pick up about a 100 ft lbs and 60 whp with just a good E30 tune. My dyno sheet is in the S550 chit chat area

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was using MAP and switched to Lund; first mods for any EBM should be FMIC and tune. If you can get E85 in your area the e30 tune is a good idea but if not the 91/93 tune wakes the car up...if you tune the car get the NGK 6510 plugs which are one range cooler plugs.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Lund uses the ngauge.

I like the professionalism from Lund 100x times better, so tired of the Adam arrogance, cockiness and attitude.....and Lund knows the 6R80 better than Adam ever will, not a slam on Adam, he comes from the import world.

Lund uses a different approach than Adam does tuning wise which I prefer; Lund uses more timing vice more boost, more boost leads to more heat which leads to broken parts as heat kills....and when the rods are only $25 from Ford...well....you be the judge, lol!

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Lund uses the ngauge.

I like the professionalism from Lund 100x times better, so tired of the Adam arrogance, cockiness and attitude.....and Lund knows the 6R80 better than Adam ever will, not a slam on Adam, he comes from the import world.

Lund uses a different approach than Adam does tuning wise which I prefer; Lund uses more timing vice more boost, more boost leads to more heat which leads to broken parts as heat kills....and when the rods are only $25 from Ford...well....you be the judge, lol!

An engine will only take so much timing before it actually loses power (MBT). Meanwhile provided the engine can handle it every time you add more boost it will make more power as long as you're not out of the efficiency range of the turbo. I will have to research this but it seems that the more efficient the engine is by design the less total timing the engine wants. If the cylinder head combustion chamber isn't efficient it seems like it would take longer for the mixture to burn so more timing is needed All that said I wonder what MBT is for these new 2.3L engines. I know one my Mustang SVO with a 2.3L pinto engine it likes timing due to it's poor design.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back