2006 SC GT - It just stopped - won't crank

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
Long story, short - I cranked it, drove it for 10 mins, got in traffic and then... basically the fuel was not getting to the engine. It bucked, jerked, would not accelerate, backfired twice and then died. It has not cranked since and will not.

Engine tries to turn over but nothing. Acts like it is not getting fuel to the engine. Put an OBD test to it, and says it has 41+ PSI for fuel pump.

Thinking a faulty Crank Shaft position sensor. Thoughts??

Highlights of my 2006 GT:
Vortech V3 Si - Vortech Air to Air intercooler. 3” piping, twin bypass valves - BBK ceramic coated longtube headers - BBK offroad X pipe - GT500 twin fuel pump setup - Excedy Mach 500 clutch... Looks and runs like a Shelby. Tuned at 442/403.
Looking to sell it once I get it back on it's feet.

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
I had something like this on my old mustang, sorry if this is an insulting answer but... are you sure that the air-intake hasn't come loose since that your symptoms are exactly what mine had. The jubilee clips holding the CAI on to the maf had snapped and that was it... coughing, spluttering and farting but it did not want to start at all.

Good luck whatever the cause

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
your description and title are at odds, if the engine turns over that = cranking

so the engine turns over but will not fire....

3 things needed, air, fuel, spark - have you tried firing it up with the MAF unplugged?

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
Had a similar issue a year's ago. Ended up being the fuel inertia switch had tripped. Reset it and it was good to go.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
Tried resetting the fuel inertia swtich.. still nothing.

The battery turns over and over and it tries to fire up but it does not.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
battery's don't turn over, the starter turns the engine over....

so "tires to fire up" means what?

you hear some ignition going on?

try starting it with the MAF disconnected? does it have a MAFiA?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Long story, short - I cranked it, drove it for 10 mins, got in traffic and then... basically the fuel was not getting to the engine. It bucked, jerked, would not accelerate, backfired twice and then died. It has not cranked since and will not.

Engine tries to turn over but nothing. Acts like it is not getting fuel to the engine. Put an OBD test to it, and says it has 41+ PSI for fuel pump.

Thinking a faulty Crank Shaft position sensor. Thoughts??

Highlights of my 2006 GT:
Vortech V3 Si - Vortech Air to Air intercooler. 3” piping, twin bypass valves - BBK ceramic coated longtube headers - BBK offroad X pipe - GT500 twin fuel pump setup - Excedy Mach 500 clutch... Looks and runs like a Shelby. Tuned at 442/403.
Looking to sell it once I get it back on it's feet.

Tried resetting the fuel inertia swtich.. still nothing.

The battery turns over and over and it tries to fire up but it does not.

Let's get this straight so we know what we are talking about.

Started the car, drove 10 miles and she sputters, backfires and dies. It has enough juice in the battery to crank the engine over but it won't fire up or run. And you data logged 41 psi at the fuel rail, yes? Or your tune commands 41 psi? So if you have pressure at the rail, and its not getting into your motor it has to be the the injectors.

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
Sorry. Trying to describe sounds and use proper terminology in text format.

Starter is trying to turn over. rrrRrrrr, rrrRrrr, rrrRrrrr. Engine does not start. It's staving for gas but not sure where to look first.

Again, this happened all at once. Drove it 30 miles one night, no hard pulls. Next AM, it fired right up as usual, dropped my son of at school, got in bumper to bumper traffic on the highway and then it started bucking, no response to accelerator, backfired out the exhaust 2-3 times. Got it to the shoulder and it has not fired up since.

Attachments

• mustang2.jpg
    mustang2.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
Yep - has spark. It has to be fuel, or lack there of. Thinking it's electrical saying "stop sending fuel", but not sure where to look. Checked all the connections, etc.

Was running fine, and then suddenly lost engine power (not electrical), would not idle, jerking, bucking, and then died. Has not fired up since. At a loss.

Last edited:

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Stupid question time, when was the last time you got fuel? One of my warehouse guys spent three hours diagnosing a no-start on his truck, only to find out his fuel level sender froze up and he was bone dry reading a half tank.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm in Dallas, Texas, so nothing freezes here.

:thud:

things "freeze" without being cold.

you continue not to answer questions asked to help root out the issue... I'm done... good luck

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
Like I said, with the limited info you are giving us I have to conclude that your injectors are not firing. IF you have 41 psi AT THE FUEL RAIL, and you're not getting gas into the motor, then your injectors are not working. Doubt all of your injectors went out at the same time so it would have to be PCM related. How do you know you are getting spark? What have you done to verify that the ignition system is working? We want to help but you can't expect any help if you're not willing to give the information we need. Did you get a CEL? What codes has she thrown?

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
check the hot lead off your battery that goes in your spare tire well and make sure its plugged into the relay next to your FPDM. I had the sae thing happen this weekend, towed car home and that was the issue.

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
Sorry Boss. I'm just like Cole Trickle in Days of Thunder... I just drive it. I'm a novice at best when it comes to the terminology of everything. Bought a bad ass mustang that runs like a beast. Supercharger, Cold air intake, GT 500 fuel pump... I just know that it was running fine, and then sputtered, backfired twice and it has not cranked to idle since. My dad knows cars but not all the electrical stuff on them today. Thus, why I am reaching out to the masses. So I appreciate you and everyone as I try and look for issues.

The check engine light came on about 3 months ago, and noticed a few backfires on a cold start after that. Just a couple of pops as it warmed up. Still cranked, ran just fine. Did notice a slight ticking noise on the passenger side on any acceleration. Was told it was an exhaust leak. Still ticked after new pipe work and replacing the cam phaser.

Brand new battery, added gas, reset the fuel shut off, pulled a plug and it had a spark, checked all the connections, put on a OBD tester (like reading Latin) - that's how we know it still has fuel pressure, but could not decipher anything else. It has always thrown o2 Sensor errors. We had to put MagnaFlow Cats on it (since I'm in Texas) but it runs rich anyway (supercharger).

It's too low to tow (literally) so grasping at straws. Thanks again.

Last edited:

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
First thing you need to do is make sure you're actually getting fuel to the rail and also make sure you're getting spark. If you have no spark, then it's likely your crankshaft position sensor.

hojo_hojo

Reaction score
That's the next one one my list to try, The Crankshaft Position Sensor. Thanks. It almost has to be something electronic saying... stop sending fuel.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
That's the next one one my list to try, The Crankshaft Position Sensor. Thanks. It almost has to be something electronic saying... stop sending fuel.

I think you misunderstood my post. Have you actually checked to see that it's not getting fuel? Disconnect the fuel line at the rail and turn it over, see if there's fuel coming. Crank position sensor cuts spark, not fuel.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back