Another Windsor build underway...

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
Just bought a clean, low optioned, 80K mile base coupe. Deconstruction has already begun. The plan is build a "street legal" Cobra Jet clone, using a big Windsor. More pictures to follow...

Attachments

• IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    552.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1848.jpg
    IMG_1848.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 43

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
She's starting to come together. The engine is a Shafiroff 460 Windsor, with a TH400.

Attachments

• IMG_1928.JPG
    IMG_1928.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 45

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
If you want a manual steering rack, I'll make you a screamin deal on an almost new Flaming River unit (with the steering shaft knuckle). $300 plus shipping.

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
Dammit... You're just a bit too late. I bought the same part a few weeks ago. Just out of curiosity, did you ever find out if any long-tube headers fit this application? I know no one makes a "Windsor/S197" full length header, but I was wondering if other applications might work (maybe certain Foxbody units).

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
The problem with getting long-tubes for a Windsor in a different chassis is that they won't drop down far enough, or not enough, but you won't know until you actually buy/try them. You can have headers custom made, but I really didn't want to spend that kind of money (in excess of $2500 when I was shopping around).

The power difference between long-tubes and my mid-lengths would be so small (negligible) , that it wasn't worth the money to me. I cheaped out and got Accufab fox-body mid-lengths (#B210) for $450, which included a header flange that bolted up to the "wide" bolt pattern on my AFR heads. My headers have 1-3/4 primaries that are not pinched as a result. I also didn't have to do any clearance adjustments to make them fit the application.

Last edited:

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Just bought a clean, low optioned, 80K mile base coupe. Deconstruction has already begun. The plan is build a "street legal" Cobra Jet clone, using a big Windsor. More pictures to follow...

Cool build.
Your car looks exactly like the red V6 car I bought yesterday.
I'm thinking of sticking a 302 in it. (for now)

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
Almost done. Believe it or not, it actually fits under the stock hood (sort of). And yes, the headers were a major headache. I used Kooks Fox-body 1-7/8" headers, but needed to re-fab tubes 7 and 8. All good now. I'm hoping to fire it up this week.

Attachments

• IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 187

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Almost done. Believe it or not, it actually fits under the stock hood (sort of). And yes, the headers were a major headache. I used Kooks Fox-body 1-7/8" headers, but needed to re-fab tubes 7 and 8. All good now. I'm hoping to fire it up this week.

Questions...
When you say "sort of" , does the hood close ok as normal ?
Also, what intake are you using ?

So, no work needed on the pass. side header ?
And the work done to the driver's side 7 and 8 tube...was that to clear the steering shaft ?

Last edited:

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
Bird Guy: The hood closes without rubbing. I had to trim off a small section of the hood inner structure. The black felt liner has also been left off. Using a 3" K&N filter with a drop base is nescessary. The intake is an Edelbrock Super Victor. The passenger side header needed to be "spaced" out 1/2" from the head. I made custom exhaust port spacers to do this. The driver side needs custom fab-work to clear the steering shaft. Modifications to the Kooks headers are extensive, but still easier than starting from scratch. I've got some street miles on her now, and everything is working well. Hope all of this helps.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Bird Guy: The hood closes without rubbing. I had to trim off a small section of the hood inner structure. The black felt liner has also been left off. Using a 3" K&N filter with a drop base is nescessary. The intake is an Edelbrock Super Victor. The passenger side header needed to be "spaced" out 1/2" from the head. I made custom exhaust port spacers to do this. The driver side needs custom fab-work to clear the steering shaft. Modifications to the Kooks headers are extensive, but still easier than starting from scratch. I've got some street miles on her now, and everything is working well. Hope all of this helps.

Yes, very helpful !

Thanks

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
First time at the track. I made 3 passes, but still have to nail down several variables. Definitely a promising start.

Attachments

• Time slip.jpg
    Time slip.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 19

jsimmonstx

forum member
Reaction score
Hey, how do you fill your radiator? Did you have a custom rad made with a cap, or are you filling via the expansion tank? Got any pics of that?

Nuclear

forum member
Reaction score
I have a Moroso expansion tank for '05-'14 Mustang. The bottom fitting has a 1" hose that "tees" into the water pump suction hose. The tee is home-made (by me). I just fill it like a normal factory original S197. Easy.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back