Garmin Virb Ultra 30 "Review"

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
I wanted a new camera for track days so after talking to a few people I chose the Garmin Ultra 30 over a GoPro Hero 5. The deciding factor was the built in GPS and ability to record Gforces and OBD2 monitoring (via bluetooth/wireless dongle) through Garmin's GMetrix feature. The editing software is intuitive, also.

Anyway, this was shot using the camera which was connected to my car's OBD2 via Bluetooth OBDLink LX dongle. The start-finish point for laps is off slightly, but overall I love the camera.

One issue I have is the battery life when connected via Bluetooth (I was only able to get one full session recorded). I'm sure there is something I can adjust for longer record time/better battery life.

Another issue is the fact that to use an external microphone, you need to buy another case and Garmin's own A/V cord. A standard Mini USB to 3.5mm out won't work.

As for the video, this was the first session of the 2nd day. I had an off at the beginning of lap 2 (going into turn 1) due to carrying a tad too much speed. I bet with sticky tires I would have been fine. Anyway, I controlled the car, put 2 feet in, kept the wheel straight and did what was to be done. That was part of learning for me. My thoughts and actions were focused and I didn't panic. All a part of learning.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/l6IcQPGWnzs

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Deja vu . . . 10% more speed needs 20% more grip.

Which tires are doing all the talking and what are you doing when they're the loudest?

FWIW, I really think this topic belongs in the Corner Carving section. Won't mean much to anybody who doesn't do track days or at least autocross, and it won't be found by those who do once the link in the C-C section index drops off the first page.

Norm

Last edited:

Strengthrehab

forum member
Reaction score
Norm, I put it there--someone moved it.

Front tires are talking. A lot. I'm not breaking hard enough

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
is it more than just a video showing the laps? I haven't watched it. YT is blocked at the office

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Norm, I put it there--someone moved it.
I know . . . that comment wasn't really aimed at you.

I think that there should be an "Official Track Videos" thread in the Corner-Carving section for videos like yours. People who don't track or autocross typically aren't interested in watching such videos, and those who do aren't going to wade through videos of cruising/burnouts/wandering around at a car show in the hopes of finding some high-lateral-g driving.

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back