Hoist it up just to remove a bolt?!?

michaelb721

Reaction score
Hey,
I ran through a Web search and a site search, but still couldn't find any direct answers to this question. I'm currently considering some work that requires removing the dash, which will in turn require getting the steering column out of the way, and ran across this in the FSM: Section 211-04-06 Removal and Installation (of the Steering Column Shaft bolts)

Step 1: "With vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist..."

??? I'm not understanding why I need to lift the car off the wheels just to disconnect the steering column shaft bolts. Can anyone chime in with the purpose behind that? (Not that I'm questioning the manual or anything... :p) I'm guessing there's a good reason, but I sure would like to know what they're thinking.

As to why I would want to do this: My Mustang's A/C died, and I had a dealership check it out. They couldn't find any leaks in the easily visible portions of the system, and judging by the hissing sound I heard inside the car when it died, and the smell of refrigerant escaping, I think the evaporator core behind the dash sprang a leak. Since it would be major $$$ for the dealer to fix, I'm debating whether or not to tackle it myself. It looks like a real pain, but it also looks possible if you take your time and do it right.
Here's a link to a YouTube video showing the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7GjBGiZXj4
I trust the FSM will fill in the blanks. I think the evaporator core is fixable... if I can get to it. Which is why I'm on here asking why I should be lifting the car... just to disconnect a bolt. :p

Thanks for any advice you can give! It is appreciated.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Because Ford dealers have two-post lifts.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
You can disconnect the column from the shaft under the dash. No need to do anything outside the car. It's one bolt on the shaft. That is if its an 05-09.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michaelb721

Reaction score
Mine is a 2010, the year the body style changed. Last year of the 4.0 V6s in the Mustang. I have no idea how much of the other mechanicals are a holdover from 05-09 years though. I got the impression from the YouTube video that the man working on it didn't raise anything up... or he definitely would have mentioned what a pain it was. :)

Last edited:

michaelb721

Reaction score
After thinking about it more, I think I understand now. I DON'T think you have to raise the car at all to disconnect the bolt. I think the section in the manual does -and doesn't- completely apply to this situation. All I'd want to do is disconnect the upper bolt to drop the column shaft down out of the way. Replace it with a new one when you're done. Easy enough. The rest of the manual section -does- apply, but only up to that point. I'm thinking the manual has to be written to take into account the times a mechanic wants to totally disconnect the steering column to get at the steering rack stuff on the other side of the firewall. They might be assuming that "since the mechanic wants to get at the steering parts underneath, then they should start the whole process by lifting the car in the air." With that understanding, the whole thing makes sense. Since I don't want to disconnect anything below the car, I don't need to lift it. At least that's what I think.
Thanks for the input. It jogged my thought process and made me consider it from a different angle. I think I'm on the right track now.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back