Coyote with a carb and a turbo...why? Why not.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Yes and yes. Planning a few new mods in the relatively near future.

Cool keep it nice and stock. It's one of one.

I understand the benefits of the VCT but gaining 109hp at basically idle doesn't help me at all and for a peak of 40hp I can just bump up a pound of boost to make up for it.
I have a high stall ~4500rpm converter so gaining power below 4500 does almost nothing to help me. Upper rpm ranges the VCT doesn't gain nearly as much power showing where it's benefits really are.
If I had a stock engine still n/a, running 87 octane, needing mileage and fuel economy then yes but in that case I'd never take the EFI off....like my F150.

The Sullivan 5.4 intake is really pretty close but the ports on the navi intake are much larger. I could have "LS Swap Hillbilly'd" the ports on the heads to match but it would have required removing a lot of material which would have reduced the sealing surface. Planning on running boost I didn't want to have sealing issues and ruin a set of heads so I opted on letting my buddy weld up the ports on the intake then open them up and blend to match the Yote heads. I made gaskets just cause I didn't want to wait to have it o-ringed. I'll take it off and have that done when I powder coat it later. Gotta test it a little first.

Last edited:

spyder7724

Reaction score
Here's a pic during the process of welding and shaping. It took multiple cycles of this to get them acceptable. We welded the Navi pattern holes in the intake then drilled the coyote pattern. Then I had a friend CNC the edges to match the contours of the eyebrows in the coyote heads similar to the stock intake.
If I did it over I would just make a 1" thick adapter plate and be done.
There was a decent amount of core shift on the casting so we had to correct that as well. Would have been so much easier to make a plate to transition the ports.
Or it it was n/a just down and dirty, hog out the heads to match the navi intake and be done.
20150513_234924.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
Intake done. Engine is together and in the car. Radiator is repositioned forward plus got the Turbo mounted, headers & hot side made now working on charge pipe.
All down hill from here...wiring, plumbing new aerospace brakes going on...looks like I might just make it for this coming racing season.
Here's some pics...remember it's all about low budget this time.
20151020_214814.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
Made headers from two sets of new factory take offs I got on eBay for $175total.
20151005_231942.jpg

20151005_232202.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
Hot side from 2.25" summit racing u bends and discharge is 5" from local truck parts store dumped out the lower fender. I have a smooth front air dam/valance to clean up the fender area.
20151025_133611_1.jpg

20151103_223726.jpg

20151103_223806.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
Also since the lower radiator support had been used up sometime in the past I decided to cut it out and make a down&dirty lower support for the type radiator I will be using (99-up mustang style w/o fill neck). This is just a mock up radiator :)
20151103_223232.jpg

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
Aren't you concerned with the way you have one runner entering in at a 90 to another? Looks like it would kill flow....

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I have seen doesn't seem to matter on a turbo car, the turbine is the flow restriction, it will get though everything else pretty easily. Seen some ugly backyard piping builds with truck manifolds and undesirable bends and even straight log stuff knock down 1200hp+.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Aren't you concerned with the way you have one runner entering in at a 90 to another? Looks like it would kill flow....

I didn't like that but trying to package everything meant I had to make some compromises. If it were an N/A effort I would pay very close attention to small things like that (as I did with my 3V car) but with this being a turbo car I figured I can just turn the screw up to compensate for stuff like this.

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't like that but trying to package everything meant I had to make some compromises. If it were an N/A effort I would pay very close attention to small things like that (as I did with my 3V car) but with this being a turbo car I figured I can just turn the screw up to compensate for stuff like this.

This is true. I am going to face a similar situation when I get around to boosting my 5.3 Colorado. That engine bay is TIGHT.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Just saw this and all I have to say is wow! Can't wait to see the end result! Excellent use of resources!

Thanks I'm trying to find deals and use my skills to save what i can. Anybody can order up some parts on their visa card and bolt a puzzle together with unlimited funds.
My goal was to go 8's 1/4 mile (for $10k total...looks like it will be around $12k in reality) plus try my hand at running those mile long land speed deals like in Ohio/Texas/Carolina etc. I want 200mph eventually. It should make the power for that easily.
Hindsight...I probably should have bought the modular kmember though. It would have made things a bit easier but I needed that money for other stuff.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Thanks I'm trying to find deals and use my skills to save what i can. Anybody can order up some parts on their visa card and bolt a puzzle together with unlimited funds.
My goal was to go 8's 1/4 mile (for $10k total...looks like it will be around $12k in reality) plus try my hand at running those mile long land speed deals like in Ohio/Texas/Carolina etc. I want 200mph eventually. It should make the power for that easily.
Hindsight...I probably should have bought the modular kmember though. It would have made things a bit easier but I needed that money for other stuff.

A carb and intake manifold was less money than a stock intake and injectors?

spyder7724

Reaction score
A carb and intake manifold was less money than a stock intake and injectors?

No but was cheaper than buying an entire new fuel system, injectors and engine management system. I can use the nice aeromotive pump etc. the car already had on it plus I had scored a deal on a different BT carb which I sold and made nearly enough to buy the new carb with. If Sullivan hadn't started making the navi intakes again I would have just stayed with the factory EFI... and I still have it...just in case but I'm confident this setup will work fine.
At least I won't have to be so reliant on someone else to adjust 32 different spark tables and fuel adjustments every time I change something on the car. I can handle this one on my own for the most part.
If for some weird reason the blow through carb doesn't work out then I'm going with a FAST XFI since I already have the XIM running my ignition. It will be fairly simple to convert back to EFI.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
No but was cheaper than buying an entire new fuel system, injectors and engine management system. I can use the nice aeromotive pump etc. the car already had on it plus I had scored a deal on a different BT carb which I sold and made nearly enough to buy the new carb with. If Sullivan hadn't started making the navi intakes again I would have just stayed with the factory EFI... and I still have it...just in case but I'm confident this setup will work fine.
At least I won't have to be so reliant on someone else to adjust 32 different spark tables and fuel adjustments every time I change something on the car. I can handle this one on my own for the most part.
If for some weird reason the blow through carb doesn't work out then I'm going with a FAST XFI since I already have the XIM running my ignition. It will be fairly simple to convert back to EFI.

I forgot about it being blow through. Do you know how low the iats get with blow through? Is it enough to make an intercooler not necessary?

spyder7724

Reaction score
I forgot about it being blow through. Do you know how low the iats get with blow through? Is it enough to make an intercooler not necessary?

Since it's a relatively low boost ( prob about 10psi...no more than 15lbs. definitely) the IATs should stay under 250 at the hat(hopefully) plus I'm running E85 and being a carb blow through the fuel has a bit of a cooling effect. Kevin at CSU (built my carb) plus my turbo guy said here was no reason to add the weight of an A2W setup at my boost level with this particular setup. If it were pump gas then I would have definitely plumbed in an I/C of some sort.
Oh and last night I also found that old snow kit I had on my red '06 3V car so I may go ahead and use that pre turbo just to take the edge off.

LAStang1234

----------DSL----------
Reaction score
Beautiful work thus far Spyder!! Really looking forward to the progression of this build.

Keep it up!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back