Coyote with a carb and a turbo...why? Why not.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Beautiful work thus far Spyder!! Really looking forward to the progression of this build.

Keep it up!
Thanks. I keep finding weird stuff. Had to Pull the engine again. I found my converter pilot was about 1/4" from engaging the crank pilot adapter. I'm using a th400 with a JW Bell, PRW flexplate and tried the regular PRW ford to GM adapter but the adapter isn't long enough. I'm going to drop this one off at a friends an have him make a new one with the extension I need. Also had some spacers made since the converter to flexplate gap was about 7/16"

spyder7724

Reaction score
More updates and pics. Just getting all the little stuff mounted that takes time...
Radiator, coolant tank, charge pipe, trans cooler plus trying to plumb it with all new fuel lines and brake lines. I am switching to aerospace drag brakes all the way around but in the process ran into a couple issues.
First the drivers side axle won't come out. I've now removed the whole rear end assembly so I can work on that and hopefully salvage the strange axles/spool.
Second while tapping the front spindle for the aerospace caliper brackets my tap broke off in the hole. I found another set of spindles and just prepped another spindle. Not going to tap it but instead I'll get a longer bolt and run it all the way through and use a lock nut on the back side. Similar to the way racecraft spindles are done.
Also mounted my old snow meth injection kit i used to have on my red '06 then swapped out the little 5 gal. fuel cell for a 10 gal so hopefully I make the 30 mile cruise for true street events.

spyder7724

Reaction score
20151215_225217.jpg

20160109_115516.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
Started putting on my brakes a couple weeks ago then ran into problem #1
Aerospace requires drilling & tapping the old dust shield bolt holes for the new caliper bracket... Was going great until the tap broke. Since I couldn't remove it I had to find a new spindle as luck would have it my buddy had just thrown an old set in his dump trailer to haul away so I was able to recover those. I've decide that instead of tapping them I'll just drill out to 3/8" and run a bolt through with a lock nut on the back side.
20160109_152431.jpg

However I'm still waiting on my new ball joint boots so the fronts are on hold til the middle of this week.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Then problem #2 surfaced...
I needed to remove the axles so I could install the aerospace caliper brackets on the rear. The drivers side axle would not budge. Ended up using a modified digging iron and a sledge hammer to beat it out from the passenger side.
It's a 33 spline strange axle that's twisted. Actually both sides are twisted but this one is worse.
I had to order a new set but I decided to go with Moser. The spool is still good but I did go ahead and order a set of 3.55 gears since the 4.30's would be way too much.
While the housing is out I cleaned it up, painted it along with cleaning and painting the undercarriage as well.
I'm still waiting for the gears so once the arrive I can get back to work. I should be doing my final wiring now getting ready for dyno time but it seems like I keep taking it back apart.
Here's some pics of things.
20160115_203539.jpg

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
Lookin' good! Breaking taps off in the spindles sucks! I did that a couple months ago while installing Strange brakes.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Lookin' good! Breaking taps off in the spindles sucks! I did that a couple months ago while installing Strange brakes.

What's weird is that they give you lots long enough to pass all the way through then give you lock nuts for the back side. Could have saved me slot of trouble not trying to tap then in the first place.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Figured I'd update on some progress and post some more pics. Got the new axles in and installed the brakes front and rear. Housing is back in the car and all painted/clean. I replaced every bolt and nut since many were grade5 and had no lock nuts.
Also got the radiator lines finished and all the brake lines as well.
Working on the fuel lines now.
Oh and the trans came out once again. I found that TH400's have an issue with too much pressure going to the converter and this will almost always trash the thrust bearings in Modulars and LS motors since they are not made to handle that high of pressures pushing on the crankshaft.
I installed a restrictor in the converter feed circuit of the front pump. Cost about $1.00 but still had to R&R the trans and pull the pump to do it.
Here's some pics:
20160227_232205.jpg

20160228_193651.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
TH400 pump restrictor mod. This is a .109" hole which should cut the pressure down below 75psi. Normally the are 200+psi
20160310_182452.jpg

CoreGT

forum member
Reaction score
Really nice build. Interested to see the final result. Wish I could fab even a little bit, nice on the headers!

spyder7724

Reaction score
Really nice build. Interested to see the final result. Wish I could fab even a little bit, nice on the headers!

Thanks. Still working on my tig skills but they are coming along. Hopefully I will have this thing plumbed this week then I can start the dreaded wiring.

spyder7724

Reaction score
Here's a pic you won't see very often...if ever again.
Finishing fuel lines up then I'll do my final install of the exhaust and turbo stuff. Almost ready to start wiring.
20160319_153825.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back