521ci BBF

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
So I contacted Cervinis today and apparently they can make a lighter 20lb lift off 4" cowl hood for $360. Custom made and 3 week lead time. Looks like that will be the direction I go.

I like that and the price is reasonable!

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
In case anyone wants to see a 10.0 pass with the big block (nothing special since it's restricted), here is a go-pro video I took from inside the car of one of the time shots this past Sunday.

I use a delay box racing in the Super Pro class so you'll see my hand come off a button on the steering wheel when I see the top bulb on the tree light up and then a timer takes over launching the car.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
I'm not even working this engine hard. Only turning it 6800 rpms. I did one pass last tuesday without the restrictor plate but still launched only at 3000 rpms and ran a 9.69 @ 138 mph. Now that my tires are broken in I need to try an un-restricted hit launching at 4500 rpms to see what it will do.

Maybe next winter I'll put a full cage in the car so I can race in the 9's if I want to but I like not having to wear a full suit, gloves and neck brace. Gets stupid hot in the summer in a black on black car drag racing.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Nice video and pass, love the big block!

Your car does the same top end wobble that mine did.....lol. I never noticed it driving the car but it shows up in a go pro video just like yours. I put a video on here last year ( i looked for it but can't remember where its at) and it looks the same, mine may have had more of a wobble.

Just my .02$, you really should do an 8.50 cert cage. Just piece of mind IMOP

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Nice video and pass, love the big block!

Your car does the same top end wobble that mine did.....lol. I never noticed it driving the car but it shows up in a go pro video just like yours. I put a video on here last year ( i looked for it but can't remember where its at) and it looks the same, mine may have had more of a wobble.

Just my .02$, you really should do an 8.50 cert cage. Just piece of mind IMOP

I don't get any wobble at the top end but I do get a vibration which I believe is due to me not adjusting the pinion angle after doing this swap. It used to be much smoother and I've just been lazy. I may try to adjust it at the track on Saturday. I can just put the car on my open trailer, level it out and get right under it.

As for the 8.50 cage, I will most likely do it next winter. I don't have the time or the money to do it now.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of imterior still left in that car :)

Air shifter too?

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I don't get any wobble at the top end but I do get a vibration which I believe is due to me not adjusting the pinion angle after doing this swap. It used to be much smoother and I've just been lazy. I may try to adjust it at the track on Saturday. I can just put the car on my open trailer, level it out and get right under it.

As for the 8.50 cage, I will most likely do it next winter. I don't have the time or the money to do it now.

I called it a wobble but it is more like a vibration or oscillation. Never really felt it in the car but it shows up on video. Figured it was just rear tire vibration. I always ran radials so it wasn't like a slick tire wandering around.

07graygt

forum member
Reaction score
What do you have to do to put the tachometer in the dash like that? Is it a 5". I'm going to do that on mine as the factory gauges will no longer work with my setup.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
What do you have to do to put the tachometer in the dash like that? Is it a 5". I'm going to do that on mine as the factory gauges will no longer work with my setup.

The 5" autometer fits perfect in there. You just need to do a little work on the mount so you can flip it upside down and bolt it into the bottom of the cluster. Below is the only picture I have of the backside when I mounted it.

0117161441_zpss7ybvkbq.jpg

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of imterior still left in that car :)

Air shifter too?

Well, to race in index you have to have an interior, 2 front seats, etc.

As for the shifter it's an electric solenoid. I hate consumables...that's why I never went with nitrous.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'm not even working this engine hard. Only turning it 6800 rpms. I did one pass last tuesday without the restrictor plate but still launched only at 3000 rpms and ran a 9.69 @ 138 mph. Now that my tires are broken in I need to try an un-restricted hit launching at 4500 rpms to see what it will do.

Maybe next winter I'll put a full cage in the car so I can race in the 9's if I want to but I like not having to wear a full suit, gloves and neck brace. Gets stupid hot in the summer in a black on black car drag racing.

I bet you can hit 9.50s. By only going to 6800rpm I bet the engine is going to last a long time as long as there are no oiling issues. How heavy is the car now?

On the 8.50 thing--yeah my reasoning was if I am going to have to go through all the extra "stuff", then I wanted to be low 9s or 8s to make it worth it.

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
Cool build dysan !

I have a efi 513 engine I have dreamed about putting in a S197, but I like the stock hood look so I would have to get creative on lowering the engine in the chassis

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back