S197 Chassis Coyote Swap Endurance Race Build

the5

Reaction score
Hey Guys Just found this forum and section alot of good information here so I thought I would transfer all my posts from my build thread over here and update from there! So some posts may not make 100% sense without the context!

Well some of you may have seen my 2001 Coyote Swap Cobra, If not you can check that out here-
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...001-Cobra-Coyote-Swap-Build-Thread&highlight=

The original goal of that build was to make a road race car out of it but it came out too nice. So this build is making up for that one :).

I wasnt planning on buying this car until the Coyobra sold (if interested PM Me), But this car came into my lap and I couldnt refuse.

Its a 2005 V6 Mustang with a Manual. Straight body and only 2 owners!
Its gonna be a fun build

the5

Reaction score
Well I was able to get some of the interior Gutted today and the new removable steering wheel installed!

I think both turned out really well-

Threw the seats back in until I get the bracket for the race seat ordered.
Hopefully picking something up for this project this week ;)

the5

Reaction score
Well heres the trans!
its a TR6060 out of a 13 Gt500 with MGW shifter and OEM trans Cooler!
While I was there also Picked up the Carbon Fiber Driveshaft and the Differental Cooler seup!

the5

Reaction score
Got the junk 7.5 Out and ready to put the 12 8.8 In.
Going to paint it before I put it in the car

Picked up these Coils Used for a great deal!
ST XTA Coils almost look new!

the5

Reaction score
Pretty Busy week this was so not much time to work on the car. Still managed to get a few things done.

Painted the 8.8 Rear with POR 15, Works great! Just dont get it on yourself.

Was also able to fit the first APR Wing! Will be making this much taller, But it will do for now.

Well I was able to get the Axle back in the car, Had some issues with the Brakes and Hoses but got it all figured out. Turns out since the car has no ABS, The rear actually has a Splitter in the old brake line, So I had to flare a T in for the new Steel lines.
Other than that threw the rear coil overs in and the new Wheels on!

Also put on the new Enkei Wheels with NT01 Rubber, Looks pretty sick!

Got the seat bracket in and the OMP Seat Mounted, and Tested it for fitment! haha

Was able to pick up these Raxiom Gen5's But sadly the Pass side does not work :( So have to deal with that.

the5

Reaction score
In other news....

Sadly Not many updates since school has been kicking my ass :/

But we have gotten our biggest sponsor to date, Cant wait to get thier parts!

Got the headers, Look Sweet! Hopefully Sound as good

And Got the tail lights figured out!

the5

Reaction score
Anyways, School has been kicking my ass but finals are next week and should be able to get a decent chunk of this build done.
Also these showed up a few weeks ago! :)

Finally able to get back to working on the car, Started to pull the interior in prep for the cage which it goes to get on Sunday.

Then it was to pulling out that V6-

Finished off the night with starting on the oil pump gear install-

the5

Reaction score
Got the cage all welded up and ready for paint-

Got the car back from Paint and throwing the interior in-

Also started to work on the dash and interior wiring since I am custom making evert harness on the car-

I was able to do one of the fun parts of the build in my opinion, Putting on the 2013 Front end onto the 2005!
also get to see a sneak peek of the color :) All the parts came from my 2013 Street car which is pretty funny.

All I have to do is make some custom mounts for the Front bumper and we should be good!

the5

Reaction score
Was able to get the dash part of the harness finished and mounted it-

Threw a battery to it and powered up the dash-

Also was able to get the motor in, Now to start all the pluming for fuel,harness and rad lines-

So I put the new OEM fender on which fit sooo much better than the aftermarket, Also had a mini photo shoot-

the5

Reaction score
Got to throw on our Cortex Racing suspension on the car yesterday!
Shame you'll never see this jewelry!
Parts Installed-
-Cortex JRI Double Adjustable Damper
-Cortex LCA System
-Cortex Torque Arm
-Cortex Watts Link
-Cortex Bump Steer kit
-Eibach Front Sway Bar
-18mm Rear Sway
Going to be running 3.5*-4*of Camber!

Got more of the little BS Stuff done and the doors on-

Took it out on the streets for a first real drive and took it to get some gas!

Going to be tuning it on the dyno tomorrow!

It Made 426 Hp about halfway threw tuning, Should get it on the dyno again soon now that its done.

Here is a little sneak peek-

better Pics tomorrow!

Well with the paint still dripping we decided to take it to the first test day at NJMP thunderbolt, Got her Finished about 1 Am on Saturday got 4 hours of sleep and Left at 5:30 am for the track-

Got the car out and passed tech with no issues-

Getting strapped in for the first runs-

Took it really easy the first session but she performed flawlessly!

Heres a some video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPd23_PFY9A

Me and my dad, he was very happy about what we had accomplished-

the5

Reaction score
Did a few things on the car this weekend didnt get many pics.
Taught myself to weld and made this PS/Trans/Oil Cooler Bracket off the Mishmoto one! Turned out real nice in my opinion!
Also can see the Brake Ducting.

eah tucks up real nice there.

Anyways got my APR wing on with two sets of risers.

Then I proceeded to have breakfast on it-

First off I would like to thank Greg from Elgin Racing for sending these machined calipers that dont need to be twisted back in!
This is huge for quick brake pad swaps while endurance racing! Also answered all my questions about setup and their car.
Wish them luck during the Devil in the Dark the same week we are at the Glen!

Anyways I started to stripe the car and finished late Saturday night, came out ehh but I love the way it looks! Almost race ready! Testing at NJMP this weekend at NASA!

Well Got the car stickered up and last night and Emergency Wiper wiring!
I cant think Chris (captdistraction) enough! He helped me in my time of need and made a wiring diagram just for me!
Chris couldnt have done it with out you!

Other than that Got everything strapped in the trailer and ready to go!

Also tonight I had stopped by NJMP and Met Greg with Elgin Racing, Their car is gorgeous and wish them luck at the Devil in The Dark and check out the live stream!

the5

Reaction score
Been busy as hell since the race and wanted to do a proper write up.
Last I left off it was Thursday night. I had class on Friday morning that I could not get out of. So my dad had taken the car on Thursday Night and was set to Qualify with our other driver.
On Friday morning we started with a DE/Practice session. Goes smoothly my dad and Kirk got about 5 laps each in the car in practice. Qualifying starts and About an hour in Jeff from SpeedyCop, Most famous for his Lemons builds, Blows his 400k Mile Cosworth motor.

With the new pavement at the Glen and the fact that it started to rain meant that they could not use speedy dry on the track. So they spent about 2-3 Hours cleaning that up. About the time they finished I finally arrived at the track. After never seeing the track I jump in the car and qualify for the next hour. Got to learn the track a bit and feel the car out and everything was all good!

We ended up Qualifying 1st In class 3.

So Saturday morning we start the race with Kirk in the car. Everything is going well, the first pit stop rolls around and my dad gets in the car. Everything went fine with his stint also. Finally after about 3 hours of race time I get my turn to go in the car.

First impressions-
This car is a Monster! Im having a great ass time! This sound coming from the engine is like a symphony. The gear changes are crisp and perfect. Even tho the car already had 3 hours of race time on it everything still felt great. With the full Cortex Suspension this car could handle! I was carrying the same speed through corners as most of the BMW's in the race.

After About an hour I Jump out of the car and Kirk goes in. We finish the day with no issues. The only thing was that they bumped us up from class 3 to Class 4. We were on track to take a podium in Class 3 but class 4 is where we belong and I could not argue. Ended up 12th in class and 18th Overall. All in all a great day with ZERO issues with the car!

Here I am reflecting the day in the car

At the awards ceremony for Day 1 I took the opportunity to get a picture with Randy Pobst. He was racing in a Black E46 M3. He ended up 3rd Overall. It is a pretty cool feeling to say that you got to race with professional drivers like Randy.

After that on Saturday night we did started to do our maintenance for the next day. We found out that we went threw an ENTIRE Brand new Set of Pads! Front and Rear! This is defiantly something that we have to address for the next race.

We start Sunday morning and about 15 Laps in the Lead car smashes in the wall. Its a Corvette and they said that the rear toe link went. You can check out the video here- http://youtu.be/_uCKNxthiD4

After that it was pretty quiet most of the day. We were just putting in laps and doing our thing. We ended up 8th in class and 11th overall out of the 77 cars that started the race. I am ecstatic of the result and could not be happier! We ran a best of 2:14:24 on Street tires!

Now we are preparing for the next race and possibly the Optima Street car challenge! Here are some great photos taken of the car on track.

the5

Reaction score
Well got some time to work on the car and next thing you know.......

Pulled the motor to check a few things on the car since it was a new build and wanted to make sure everything was ok and redo a few things I wasnt happy with. Was glad that I did because I found a few issues that I would like to address.

Next Race is July 14-17th at NJMP Lightning ! Try to make it out if you can, we can always use some more crew!

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Brb gonna go change my shorts. How long from the start to getting it race ready?

the5

Reaction score
Brb gonna go change my shorts. How long from the start to getting it race ready?

Bought the car in October and Race was in April

Really didnt start any work on the car until we pulled the motor in Mid December and then the car had its first test Track day in March.

and then Just had some odds and ends as you can see.

07TR

forum member
Reaction score
That's awesome....you should post up some video

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
Hands down must be one of my favourite threads. Inspirational as hell too. I will be following this one for sure. Good luck with it man, i'll be turning my 06 V6 into something like this one day.

the5

Reaction score
A little bit of a long overdue update but have been taking a well needed break!
Anyways we had our first test day in Mid June after Pulling the motor and saw that our coolant temps after a hard 20 min session were getting close to 220* in 90* ambient temps, not scorching but hotter than I would like it to be. So I designed this custom Radiator enclosure-

Temps hit a max of 206* through the whole race and Was usually at 195-200 even with temps being 85*+

The other issue with the hotter weather came with the alternator. We blew one out on our test day, the again and again. Total of 4 Alternators went before the race with the last blowing on Friday Qualifying.

So with our last alternator I pulled the headlight, Put in some mesh and a Brake Duct and had no issues during the race! That was a nail biter.
( Also Myself making an appearance during the Friday night prep for Saturday)

We also brought our other 2005 Mustang 3v To test/Parts car haha, Needs some work but has potential.

The race start on Saturday went well. Had no issues in the day except for a few off-road Excursions.

And with that we Brought home our First Hardware! 3rd In class for the day-

Sunday went well as well except for one issue in the last 10 mins of the race. My dad was in the car and reported brake failure and I thought that we had just lost vaccum But the rear housing had actually twisted and caused the Brake pad to fly out. Other than That We ran perfect and were able to Bring a 3rd For the day, and 3rd Overall for the weekend.

We have some more surprises coming up for the next Race at Summit Point :)

Here are an assortment of photos from the race-

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back