Outlaw heads up small tire build

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Figured I would post up some pictures of the new build.

I've been in and out of drag racing for almost 40 years now and have grown board with bracket racing. For the last 10 or so years I have been fascinated with 1/8 mile heads up racing and decided it was time to make the leap. Car is being built primarily to run OLS because it is the most open rule class and there are plenty of races in our area. This is a two year plan, if things go well the car may be out sometime next season but the plan is for the 2018 season.

Weight reduction is the focus on this build since we all know how heavy the S197 platform is, goal is to get below 2700 lbs.

I probably could have bought a Fox body already done and been racing this year but I like to do things the hard way.

Here are few early stage build pics.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Damn that jungle gym!!!
That housing is a work of art.... so nice

Thanks, all chrome moly. Weighs in just under 70lb and will take more power than I will ever make. Have Strange 40 spline gun drilled axels, Strange brakes and an aluminum ultra case to go in it.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
awesome build - looking forward to updates! I'm all for spending others money :) - have you considered a lightweight dash kit, or the aero front bumper setup?

http://www.modularmotorsportsracing.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=64

I want to keep the factory dash mainly for the looks, the cluster will be replaced with a race pack. I have a plan on how to get rid of most of the steel supporting structure for weight savings and still keep the factory look.

This what the complete dash less the PS air bag weighs.

Been exploring options on the front bumper, considered a full lift off glass front end but I don't like the looks of any of them and most are pretty flimsy. Will most likely just put a lip spoiler on it and make block offs for the upper and lower grille. The other thing to consider is the little extra leverage weight out front isn't a bad thing. If you look at most of these type of cars at the track you will see a bunch of ballast up front so spending close to 1K for a light front bumper only to add 50 lb of lead to front bar seems silly.

The biggest weight savings body wise will be in the doors. I have already ordered a pair of Ultra Carbon doors, those alone will account for close to 150 lbs.

This is a stock door without the glass or interior panel.

Studly

Reaction score
Very Nice in process of building a 2013 for small tire class stock suspension also i like the adjustment points on the housing,

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Those wheels are awesome. Good luck!

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Few more pictures. Working on the rear suspension. We wanted as much adjustment as possible on the control arms since we will be running anywhere from a 28" to 30" tire. Notched the frame and made these trick mounts to weld in.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Good stuff keep it up! Are you doing all of this work in your garage?

My buddy that I work and race with is doing the chassis/cage at his place. He built his own car and for the last couple years he has wanted to build another car...but with someone else's money, so I am making his wish come true....lol.

He has had the car since mid December of last year and should be pretty much finished up with it in another month or two. Still need to do the rear wish bone, parachute mount, seat and harness mounts, steering column, window net and a few other little things.

Once he is done it will come back to my shop and I will be doing the interior panels, body work, paint, wiring, plumbing.....the list goes on and on.

This is a picture of his car. It is a work of art in my eyes. All Pontiac powered and has been 5.15 to the 1/8

dv8uagain

Worthless
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Definitely a great build in to works....
I am actually headed out your way tomorrow morning to my mil's in Indiana PA not too far away.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will be watching this one.

When you get the carbon doors on, and you post specific pics on how you mounted them--and do you plan on retaining just the interior panel? I have been wanting to pull the trigger on carbon doors myself but I don't want to loose the "factory appearing" interior look.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
Few more pictures of the rear suspension. Chassis is almost done. We have been racing a lot and not a whole lot of work has been done on my car but it is almost ready for me to start interior panels and paint.

05moneypit

forum member
Reaction score
I've been piecing together engine parts for a few months. Engine will be a 9.5 deck Windsor. running on alcohol. I picked up an unused SVO S351 block and a really nice set of complete Yates heads from a racer that was getting out of the small tire deal.

Block is unused, that is an anti rust coating on it. Will be 4.125 bore and 4.00 stroke.

Also got a brand new set of GRP rods in the deal.

Spent a lot of time researching and on the phone. Pulled the trigger a couple weeks ago on these bad boys. Bill at Bullseye power is a great guy to deal with and world of knowledge on making power with a SBF. He guaranteed me we would reach my goal of 1600rwhp with my engine combo.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back