New clutch cant get into gear

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
I just put in a clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, and stainless line and even new trans fluid. I pumped the damn thing hundreds of times and even used a handheld vacuum on the reservoir. It wont disengage for 1st or 2nd and no chance of going in reverse. It shifts smooth with the car off but you can feel the jump when you pull it out of gear. Is there a better way to bleed the air out? I have been researching for a while and only see the hand held vacuum being used.

Forgot to ask. What Brand Clutch?

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I also read about master cylinder problems, mine is good I only have 25k on my car. I actually called Mcleod about the shim for the slave and they said no. I won t be dealing with it for yrs I dont have patience like that. I will keep you posted cause I'm gonna keep trying to bleed it then drop it off at a mustang shop.

travelers

Reaction score
This is the setup I used McLeod Hydraulic Clutch Bleeder Kit. It still took some pumps to get it all bleed out. I installed the RST clutch and flywheel.

jas2234

forum member
Reaction score
I Actually just had a very similar situation on my 07. Turned out to be my master cylinder. The way I checked it was by disconnecting my clutch line from the slave and putting a vacuum pump on the resivior. You should not be able to pull vacuum with clutch pedal In fully raised position. I was pulling vacuum constant. Put in a new master and problem solved.

travelers

Reaction score
I think if your changing a clutch after say 50k I would change both master and slave cylinder at that time.

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
My car is at the dealer today to see if they can bleed more air out of the system. If not Im goin to be ordering another new slave and also a master cylinder so the whole system is new. Im tired of not being able to drive my summer car in the summer.

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
Picked the car up at the dealer friday. They bled the clutch some more and it definitely is better. It goes into gear but sometimes it still gives me trouble. Im gonna drive it around for a bit and if it gets worse I'll try a new master cylinder then another slave . This is taking the fun out of the car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back