"We're out of roast beef..."

TLeroux

Reaction score
Dave, I think your bad luck is contagious...

I had no issues the whole weekend, and on the way home today, almost all of the ratchet straps on my little utility trailer loosened up from driving over shitty I-65 potholes for almost 2 hours. Once I got into Indianapolis, I noticed that my EZ-up (thanks again for helping me pack it up, by the way) was sitting pretty far outside of the trailer, but I have a long steel cable to keep everything attached, so I decided it would be ok to fix it at the next available rest stop. However, I wouldn't get to one for dozens of miles. Well, as soon as I pulled onto I-70, about 4 miles from the next gas station, the EZ-up falls off the side of the trailer and starts dragging on the ground, but fortunately the cable keeps it from flying off behind me. I was able to quickly find a spot to pull over and spend 10 min redoing all of the loose ratchet straps. At least the race wheels didn't fall off! One of the legs on the EZ-up has a nice battle scar, but otherwise, it seems to be salvageable.

If that was the only issue, I'd only have myself to blame, but about 20 min ago, I got a call from my bank saying that my debit card number was stolen. Apparently somebody just charged $140 to Popeyes and $600 to the Apple store. I've only used my card five times since Friday morning, and all were at seemingly legitimate establishments in Joliet. This is certainly more of an inconvenience than losing 10 min on the side of the highway. However, it's still not as bad as going to Arby's and being denied roast beef.

Hopefully this fulfills my quota of bad luck...

Also, as a small detail to add to your story, you forgot to mention how you guys spent 10+ min organizing your tools while packing up on Sunday only to have Joe drop the toolbox off the tailgate and undo all of your work.

Great seeing you again at the track this weekend.

Dan

I think you're right about the contagious bad luck. I spent a lot of time on Saturday helping my student with brake issues. (It seems that whoever last worked on the brakes thought bleeder valves should be tightened with an impact wrench.) Then Sunday he cracked a rotor (Drilled rotor cracked between the holes, what a surprise.) and had the tire rubbing on the top of the tire well wearing a hole in the plastic and threatening to wear through the wiring above that.

I had to deal with fading brakes on the last session Saturday (Old fluid, needed replaced.) and again on Sunday (User error, helps to put the brake reservoir cap back on solidly rather than let half the fluid slop out and your brakes go away. I also got to deal with rear tires that had no laps left in them while trying to keep in front of Dave.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
You're looking at this all wrong. The truth is that Saturday I was faster than Joe and on Sunday you were faster than I was, so bragging rights are all yours.

LOL!! Yeah, by a whole 90mS!! Thanks for that, but Joe was still faster than I was, by about a half second on Sunday. Granted I had two years off, and he only had one, but... Seriously, though, I was making a LOT of mistakes. I WAYYYYY over-slowed for T8, in particular, and for no apparent/good reason. I bet I could have found that half-second right there. The bottom line is that I was just flat-out rusty, but this weekend really helped to knock some of that off.

Now this sadly is nothing but flat out lies. I was not lifting to let you keep up, I was lifting to keep from pushing all four tires off and to keep the back wheels behind the fronts in the fast sweepers. If I kept it neat, I couldn't use the power to pull away, and if I used the power, I had my hands full trying to keep it going in the right direction. You also skipped over the helpful corner workers who were putting up blue flags at nearly every corner most laps even after we had changed the running order.

Wait, we had corner workers???? (I kid, I kid!!) They were just doing their job; you and I knew where we were, and what we were doing, the BMW hadn't caught up yet, and situational awareness said we had no other traffic to worry about, so I basically just ignored them.

I told you after Arby's was out of roast beef, you shouldn't have put all that order at Popey's on one card, it would get noticed.
Dammit, busted!!! ;-)

Seriously, though, thanks for the fantastically fun run, Terry! It's always nice to "play" when you have complete confidence in the abilities and judgement of the other drivers around you.

Last edited:

ddd4114

forum member
Reaction score
I told you after Arby's was out of roast beef, you shouldn't have put all that order at Popey's on one card, it would get noticed.
Of course, it all makes sense now...

When you guys failed to steal my splitter after I left the track Saturday night, you stole my debit card information instead!

TLeroux

Reaction score
Of course, it all makes sense now...

When you guys failed to steal my splitter after I left the track Saturday night, you stole my debit card information instead!

Well we wanted the splitter, but we figured that when it went missing Sunday morning you might figure out what happened when we asked you to help modify the nose of my car so I could make a new splitter fit.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back