Just about had enough...

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Your ideas, my comments

Idea - ban the guilty parties.
Comment - Okay.. so we leave the classifieds open, someone screws someone, we bad that person. Then someone screws someone, we ban that person. Then someone screws someone, we ban that person (and so on, and so on, and so on)... but at what point does that actually keep the next person from getting screwed? It doesn't.

Idea - make the classified section a "privileged access" section.
Comment - So we do that, then we get 4000 PMs from people wanting access, which I will be the one that has to do because it can only be done by admins, Don is MIA right now because he has other things going on. Kim spends limited time on here.. so that puts it back on me. I give everyone access that asks for it. Then someone who was granted access decides to screw someone in a sale. So what good did it do?

Idea - just deal with the assholes
Comment - First off.. it's not the boards job to deal with them. We state very clearly that we are not responsible for what goes on in the Classifieds. Yet everyone seems to feel the board needs to take responsibility for policing the section, chasing down the dead beats, following up on late shippers, holding the hands of people who felt they had a deal and it was yanked out from under them, etc.... The board doesn't profit from the Classifieds, it doesn't benefit from the Classifieds, and I don't feel it should have to watch every single friggin' transaction like a hawk to make sure it goes as advertised.

Idea - post count/time limit before someone can post an ad
Comment - we just had a user that has been on the board since October 2007 with a post count of nearly 500 fuck someone. So just exactly how long should they be on the board and how high of a post count should they have before they are allowed to use the Classifieds?

I reiterate...require a 'verified' bank account number or credit card number to do business on this site; like paypal does. If it is even possible though, and I'm not sure how much time/effort would have to be put in on your account to make this happen. I do agree though, it is not 'your' job to mediate and handle every bad transaction. This way should relieve you of having to get all the unneccesary PM's.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I reiterate...require a 'verified' bank account number or credit card number to do business on this site; like paypal does. If it is even possible though, and I'm not sure how much time/effort would have to be put in on your account to make this happen. I do agree though, it is not 'your' job to mediate and handle every bad transaction. This way should relieve you of having to get all the unneccesary PM's.

IMHO - that doesnt help. I've been working on trying to help a buy get some satisfaction on a bad deal, both parties are "verified" paypal users.

if someone is gonna steal/scam there is not much we as mods/admins can do after the fact. Nor is there much we can do pre-deal to protect.

Caveat Emptor

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
We have one. :) It just needs to be bumped up I guess.
I thought it was just for vendors? And it's stickied in the Pitstop. I was thinking one for individual sellers, stickied right here in the 4Sale section.

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
i dont have any suggestions....but i do agree with the admin. it is and should never be his/thier responsibility. truth is, people can fuck u over face to face as well as the internet. that has been going on since the beginning of time, and we still havent been able to eliminate that. so if this admin is reacting to someone bitching to them about a transaction....then that is just plain wrong.

i can say this...i dont post alot in any of the other sections, but i do read. (mainley becasue i get tired of people complaining about not using the search function, thats a whole other rant). most of my time is spent in the classifieds, so i would hope a post count thing is not implemented.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I thought it was just for vendors? And it's stickied in the Pitstop. I was thinking one for individual sellers, stickied right here in the 4Sale section.

Oh, hmmm. I thought I read of some bad individual deals going on in there, but either way, it's a good idea. Although sadly that still only lets us know who's a shithead after the fact. :/

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
This should be obvious, but NEVER send money to a seller as a 'gift' on PayPal, always mark it for 'goods' otherwise you'll have no line of recourse with PayPal.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Your ideas, my comments
Comment - First off.. it's not the boards job to deal with them. We state very clearly that we are not responsible for what goes on in the Classifieds. Yet everyone seems to feel the board needs to take responsibility for policing the section, chasing down the dead beats, following up on late shippers, holding the hands of people who felt they had a deal and it was yanked out from under them, etc.... The board doesn't profit from the Classifieds, it doesn't benefit from the Classifieds, and I don't feel it should have to watch every single friggin' transaction like a hawk to make sure it goes as advertised.

Idea - post count/time limit before someone can post an ad
Comment - we just had a user that has been on the board since October 2007 with a post count of nearly 500 fuck someone. So just exactly how long should they be on the board and how high of a post count should they have before they are allowed to use the Classifieds?

Two comments to your comments, it's obvious your quite frustrated over this matter and rightfully so.

On the first thought/idea, there are only a two options. As you stated it's not the boards responsibility - if someone approaches you with it simply reply with the rule, a link to the rules, and a recommendation to contact their credit card company. It's more hassle than it's worth to try to actually make it into a profit maker. It's either that or ditch it all together which is what your recommending.

On the second post which was a reply to what I posted, it isn't fool proof but a foot in the right direction no? A 50 post/30 day rule might be nice.

It doesn't matter what site it is if someone is inclined enough to fuck someone over/gullible enough to fall for it it's going to happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Bad shit happens to good people and that's life, not the board's responsibility.

1) Never pay with anything but a CC, or your going to lose it if the deal goes south.

2) Got screwed? Take it up with the CC company.

3) We have a bad seller thread for dirty laundry, use it.

4) If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

While we are on this subject I propose we do something to counter all these damn "I'm going to air my dirty laundry" threads. I for one have become less and less frequent on this board which is pretty much the only I visit due to not only that but a select few people that feel the need to turn any thread into a derailed useless lets just BS and follow the leader waste of bandwidth.

Mod for a week I'll clean this shit up :bigbeer:

Last edited:

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
This should be obvious, but NEVER send money to a seller as a 'gift' on PayPal, always mark it for 'goods' otherwise you'll have no line of recourse with PayPal.

thanks for that tip.

fortunently everything worked out, but i did do this as a request from a seller for a transaction on here. like i said, everything went as it was supposed to, but after reading this, i wont do it again. ill just add a couple bucks to cover fees or something.

mac10chap

The bouncy tits guy...
Reaction score
Two comments to your comments, it's obvious your quite frustrated over this matter and rightfully so.

On the first thought/idea, there are only a two options. As you stated it's not the boards responsibility - if someone approaches you with it simply reply with the rule, a link to the rules, and a recommendation to contact their credit card company. It's more hassle than it's worth to try to actually make it into a profit maker. It's either that or ditch it all together which is what your recommending.

On the second post which was a reply to what I posted, it isn't fool proof but a foot in the right direction no? A 50 post/30 day rule might be nice.

It doesn't matter what site it is if someone is inclined enough to fuck someone over/gullible enough to fall for it it's going to happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Bad shit happens to good people and that's life, not the board's responsibility.

1) Never pay with anything but a CC, or your going to lose it if the deal goes south.

2) Got screwed? Take it up with the CC company.

3) We have a bad seller thread for dirty laundry, use it.

4) If it looks to good to be true, it probably is.

While we are on this subject I propose we do something to counter all these damn "I'm going to air my dirty laundry" threads. I for one have become less and less frequent on this board which is pretty much the only I visit due to not only that but a select few people that feel the need to turn any thread into a derailed useless lets just BS and follow the leader waste of bandwidth.

Mod for a week I'll clean this shit up :bigbeer:

Devils advocate on the 50/30 rule...I am pretty sure you are a member of MF.com as well. When I was still on that site regularly, they had the 50 post rule implimented as well. Problem was, people were still getting fucked over. Imagine how fast you can rack up 50 posts by going through all the recent posts and saying....
LMAO
+10000000
^what he said
I agree
ect....

5 minutes later, the guy has 50 posts, puts up a "good price" on an item, rips the buyer off, and hauls ass.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I send money as a gift to avoid the paypal fee's and knock on wood have had no issues.

I have also read/heard about people sending money via paypal marked as goods and still not being reimbursed from paypal.

4LiterSonic

Banned
Reaction score
How about you have to have a certain amount of posts before buying or selling in the Classifieds?

That gets rid of the trash and allows people to get a feel for the reputation of the person before they buy.

And it's easy to catch people spamming for posts so they can hawk their shit. It's a win-win-win in my opinion.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I did not know this...
Wow thanks...

fortunently everything worked out, but i did do this as a request from a seller for a transaction on here. like i said, everything went as it was supposed to, but after reading this, i wont do it again. ill just add a couple bucks to cover fees or something.
I would not rip you off, but if I would have known this I would have not suggested it. Sorry.

How about you have to have a certain amount of posts before buying or selling in the Classifieds?

That gets rid of the trash and allows people to get a feel for the reputation of the person before they buy.

And it's easy to catch people spamming for posts so they can hawk their shit. It's a win-win-win in my opinion.

Well what about being a Supporting member to Sell?

Last edited:

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
I have also read/heard about people sending money via paypal marked as goods and still not being reimbursed from paypal.

This is no doubt true, but at least you stand a very good chance of getting your money back with the transaction marked as 'goods', you stand absolutely NO chance with it marked as a 'gift'.

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Devils advocate on the 50/30 rule...I am pretty sure you are a member of MF.com as well. When I was still on that site regularly, they had the 50 post rule implimented as well. Problem was, people were still getting fucked over. Imagine how fast you can rack up 50 posts by going through all the recent posts and saying....
LMAO
+10000000
^what he said
I agree
ect....

5 minutes later, the guy has 50 posts, puts up a "good price" on an item, rips the buyer off, and hauls ass.

That is always why I recommended in my last post whichever is longer, or we could have a set time period and leave it at that.

I'm definitely not saying that is an end all but honestly there is nothing the board can do to alleviate this problem. All they can do is discourage people from being able to come in and do it quite as easily. As previously stated "It doesn't matter what site it is if someone is inclined enough to fuck someone over/gullible enough to fall for it it's going to happen and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Bad shit happens to good people and that's life, not the board's responsibility."

I did not know this...
Wow thanks...

Well what about being a Supporting member to Sell?

Definitely a small price to pay for peace of mind when you look at what most spend through pay pal.

On the supporting comment that seems a bit futile. Spend $10 to steal $100? Pretty profitable odds for someone so inclined.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doc I also would hate to see the FS section shut down as I have used it for several purchases and sales. The way I see it is it's not the admin and mods job to police the section, you guys have enough to do just keeping the board going. The only way I can see to keep it open is to put a big disclaimer sticky and warn everyone that they are on their own and S197Forum is not responsible for anything involved in the transactions. This would allow the honest members to still buy and sell but make all of us extra vigilant about the truthfulness of the sellers.

You can't keep the crooks and thieves out, it's just not possible, so to me the only choice is to either shut it down or completely disown the FS section.

Earl

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I will say im new to this board but i have purchased a few items off the board. All with great success. I would hate to see this section shut down, as i cant afford to buy the best parts new. I can however watch this section and usually find great deals on top shelf parts. I understand you do have to do what you do and protect this forum from the bad apples. Hopefully it will be a way that benefits all of the good and honest people that frequent this board.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I understand why there are so many problems over this section. If you notice, most of the bad apples are new people. I agree that a time/post limit would be a good start to prevent people from making accounts to screw other. I love the for sale section, I'm on it all day!!

AlbertD

forum member
Reaction score
Doc I also would hate to see the FS section shut down as I have used it for several purchases and sales. The way I see it is it's not the admin and mods job to police the section, you guys have enough to do just keeping the board going. The only way I can see to keep it open is to put a big disclaimer sticky and warn everyone that they are on their own and S197Forum is not responsible for anything involved in the transactions. This would allow the honest members to still buy and sell but make all of us extra vigilant about the truthfulness of the sellers.

You can't keep the crooks and thieves out, it's just not possible, so to me the only choice is to either shut it down or completely disown the FS section.

Earl

I completely agree with the above statement. Put a disclaimer on it and let it be. The mods shouldn't have to be dealing with all the bs that goes on with the transactions.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Ban the idiots, don't close down the section for the good members.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back