Problems with O2 sensors

12lavav6

forum member
Reaction score
I am having problems with my 02 sensors going bad after i installed my bbk LT headers. I do have the extensions in and i have talked to others that are using them and they do not cause them any troubles. The CE codes i am getting are p2197 with is the upstream sensor stuck lean. I have the NTK wide band sensors installed right now. I have check for leaks several times and nothing is leaking so what could cause the sensor to keep going bad i have replaced them several times and the code goes away for a little while then it comes back

randys06v6

forum member
Reaction score
I'm no expert... But isn't that just a faulty code that your tuner turns off for you when they write the tune?

I used to have a code come up as well but it meant nothing so I had my tuner turn off that light whenever the code came up...

I could be wrong lol.

Or a bad sensor? Swap the extenders with each other and see if the same side code still comes up. If not that then it could be a tune issue as well. Maybe they didn't edit the tune to have the o2 sensors located far down enough stream?

Last edited by a moderator:

12lavav6

forum member
Reaction score
Or a bad sensor? Swap the extenders with each other and see if the same side code still comes up

i changed the extensions with brand new ones and i changed the o2 sensors and it still comes up. there is also another code that pops up from time to time. I dont remember the code but its over current voltage something. and i have tried to clear the code several times and when the car is in idle it is sometimes rough

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
How does it drive? I crossed the 02's on my GT got the same code. Be 100% sure you didnt cross them. I dont know about the v6 but its easy to do on the gt.

12lavav6

forum member
Reaction score
How does it drive? I crossed the 02's on my GT got the same code. Be 100% sure you didnt cross them. I dont know about the v6 but its easy to do on the gt.

It drives fine till it starts to idle then it acts up a little but then its fine again .its very hard to do the clip for the driver side is on the driver side the clip for passenger side is on the passenger side lol

TheRookie65

Reaction score
Lava,

Did you install the headers or a shop? I never installed headers on a 3.7 but did you/they have to jack the engine to do it? Pinched wire between the O2 and PCM?

TheRookie65

Reaction score
Can you get it back on the lift and with it running do a shake down of the harness and extensions? Not sure if you can without burning your hand..... It just seems like a short to ground......

12lavav6

forum member
Reaction score
Can you get it back on the lift and with it running do a shake down of the harness and extensions? Not sure if you can without burning your hand..... It just seems like a short to ground......

i would burn my hand lol i have replaced the extensions 3 times and the 02 sensors 4 times

BlueSoulStang

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure on the code you are getting, but I got a check engine light on for mine, too. This was some time after I got my LT headers and catted x-pipe installed. Your technician might have to shut the rear O2 sensors off in your tune. That might fix the problem.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back