Anyone ever used a buffer to remove swirl marks and scratches?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
My old girl (05 GT) is looking kind old and worn out.

It's time for a beauty treatment.

I recently clayed it for the 1st time ever but there are tons of swirl marks, scratches, dings, chips, and discolorations from bird poo and such over the years.

I can't fix all these issues but I might be able to remove some of the swirl marks and scratches myself using a buffer.

I've never used a buffer and don't even own one. Looks like paying a pro to do this will cost hundreds of dollars.

So, should I attempt this myself or just pay somebody who knows what they're doing?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There are multiple threads on this topic. Moved to "Kepping it Clean"

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
I heard margarine works quite nicely... Cant confirm though... LOL

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
I just bought a buffer and did my car. I watched several videos on Youtube and autogeek to get an idea of what I was doing. Wasn't all that hard to do, just time consuming.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Buying the buffer, pads, product, etc. may cost you a couple hundred up front, but it's well worth it when you see the outcome. Being able to do it yourself in the future makes it even more worth it.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Buying the buffer, pads, product, etc. may cost you a couple hundred up front, but it's well worth it when you see the outcome. Being able to do it yourself in the future makes it even more worth it.

I think all in I spent about $170.00. DA buffer/polisher, pads, wax etc. I think it turned out very well. Really made a difference on the hood and bumper cover.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
I think all in I spent about $170.00. DA buffer/polisher, pads, wax etc. I think it turned out very well. Really made a difference on the hood and bumper cover.

As for paint chips, you can buy touch up paint pens and use that to fill in the chip. Make sure to put enough layers of base and enough clear to match the rest of the paint as closely as possible. Take a match stick and use the flurry end as your paint brush. When you put a drop of base in the chip hole, use your finger to press the paint into the hole. Once the base and clear have dried, carefully wetsand the newly filled in chip area till its smooth with the rest of the paint. From there you will probably freak out as your paint chip area looks dull, ruined, etc. Don't worry, this is when you take the polisher with a heavy cut compound (chem guys v34 works well, menzerna is great, swissvax is incredible but pricey) and compound the area, followed by a few passes of polish and then sealent. This is the best i've been able to do for chips, this advice comes from a lifelong car painter who owned his own shop, and a detailer with 15+ years of experience. Their advice works pretty well.

themoose06

forum member
Reaction score
IMO, the Porter Cable 7424 is a great buffer to start with

It's dual action, variable speed and has a clutch in it so if you press too hard, it won't burn the paint

I have the 7424XP, which I believe comes with a longer cord

http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-buffer-value-kit.html

lots of good videos on YouTube about using a variety of buffers

FYI

plus one on the Porter Cable 7242xp, love the thing, does a great job. Chemical guys sells a kit with it for 150-200.
i think some guys over at detailing bliss are selling porter cable 7424s, let me know if you want a used one

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back