Please Help, if any McLeods reps here.

13tt50

Reaction score
Hey guys recently I finally decided to swap my mt82 out for a tr6060 I got from a friend out of hes 2011 gt500, let me tell you thing thing paired with a mgw shifter shits on anything mt82, solid trans. Okay now the problem, here is a list of the parts I got on the swap.

Mcleod Flywheel made for their twin discs
Mcleod rst with 26 spline discs for magnum swaps, got it from JPC
Oem slave cylinder(TOB)
The driveshaft shop gt500 driveshaft, oem mount and gt500 crossmember.
Cal box for speedo etc.

Problem I'm having is with my McLeod rst clutch, when I first installed the clutch I installed all the disc correctly and made sure there was no binding of the rear disc with the floater plate, with everything ready to go I went for a road test and noticed the clutch engages all the way up the pedal travel, my helper spring was removed a long time ago too. I have already driven with it past 500 miles and nothing , still feels like this, it starts to slip 3/4 up the pedal travel and it fully engages right when you let go of the pedal. I called McLeod and their solution was that they might have send me the wrong size discs and that they might be too thin. I pulled the trans a second time and for anyone that has seen a tr6060 up close you know its a monster trans and its heavy and awkward.

Mcleod wants me to pull the trans out and send the disc and then they will send me new ones and hope that fixes it but my car is going to sit without a transmission in a parking lot because of this. For a 800 dollar clutch kit why should I be going through this much problems, this should be checked at their facility , where is the quality control ????? And btw everything is installed correctly have checked twice, all of my parts are correct too . Anyway sorry for my long post but I'm pissed off, we pay a lot of money for all this parts and the manufacturers don't try to help when there is a problem.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Is there a question in there about trying to fix the issue? If there is I missed it and read through twice.

13tt50

Reaction score
Well they listed the clutch at JPC site like that its basically a mt82 clutch with 26 spline discs, my friend has the rxt version on hes tr6060 swapped boss and hes works fine. I contacted McLeod and they told me that my parts are correct but only gave me the solution to send them the old discs and wait for new ones with my trans out, but its that really going to fix the issue? I measured the bellhousing depth of the tr6060 and the mt82 and the input shaft length of both all the way to the edge of the bellhousing and both transmissions share the same measurements so the throwout bearing actually sits in the same location on both trans so I know its not a problem of the bearing sitting too close to the clutch fingers causing early engagement. I spoke to Ben Calimer and he too said the parts I have are all correct so I don't see what else to do.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What color is the floater plate ring? Should be gold for the 6060 and did you check the torque of the floater plate to the ring? It comes pre-assembled and the torques were off on mine, directions called for 25 ft/lbs, so I torqued them all accordingly and did not have any issues with it on this go round.

AbdullaGT500

forum member
Reaction score
Well they listed the clutch at JPC site like that its basically a mt82 clutch with 26 spline discs, my friend has the rxt version on hes tr6060 swapped boss and hes works fine. I contacted McLeod and they told me that my parts are correct but only gave me the solution to send them the old discs and wait for new ones with my trans out, but its that really going to fix the issue? I measured the bellhousing depth of the tr6060 and the mt82 and the input shaft length of both all the way to the edge of the bellhousing and both transmissions share the same measurements so the throwout bearing actually sits in the same location on both trans so I know its not a problem of the bearing sitting too close to the clutch fingers causing early engagement. I spoke to Ben Calimer and he too said the parts I have are all correct so I don't see what else to do.

Send them the entire clutch and have them check it out.

13tt50

Reaction score
What color is the floater plate ring? Should be gold for the 6060 and did you check the torque of the floater plate to the ring? It comes pre-assembled and the torques were off on mine, directions called for 25 ft/lbs, so I torqued them all accordingly and did not have any issues with it on this go round.

Yeah I checked that while installing, did it the second time. And yes my ring is gold too. Before I got crazy and started removing everything again I went and did more research and asked some people I know that have had experience with the rst and they all told me it graps high like that, I did some measurements of when the clutch actually starts moving the car while moving the pedal up and about 2 1/2 inches from the floor the clutch starts catching and about another inch up its fully engaged , it does not slip either, my car makes 550 lbs of torque and it roasted my drag radials on the street in first gear. It may all come down to me getting used to it specially since its an entire different drivetrain, my foot is still used to the shitty spec stage 1 I had before that fully engaged 3 mms off the floor lol and was very hard to drive on traffic and it was stiff as a motherfucker, the rst pedal feel is lighter than factory so yeah its probably my heavy foot, maybe a gt500 helper spring might help with the pedal feel.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The helper spring will probably make it worse, as that will make the clutch pedal feel even lighter.

I thought my RST was engaging a bit high when I first installed it on my Bullitt. After a couple months it was engaging right about midway of the pedal travel. I think a big part of the problem is that there is no way to properly bleed these clutches so the air works its way out in due time.

travelers

Reaction score
Mine grabs about where yours does now. I do have the T56 Magnum XL and it does take some getting used to driving with the different trans.

13tt50

Reaction score
Okay so that's how the clutch is suppose to be, it feels like its not grabbing but it does and pretty hard I guess I will have to get used to it. It does make driving the car in traffic a little easy for me because I'm not that tall and that means I can slide the seat back and have my legs relaxed before I had to sit pretty close because the spec clutch grabbed all the way at the bottom and it was stiff.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back