Steering wheel crooked after a couple suspension mods???

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone having this issue, with ANY brand brackets - give me a call and I will help you resolve the issue without spending additional money on adjustable LCA / or buying new brackets.

Fortunately, we jump on issues like this and take them very serious.....so I have just about more experience to share, than anyone, when it pertains to achieving a squared axle with aftermarket relocation brackets.

813-986-9302 EXT 103 (just say you have a mustang, and you will get transferred to me directly)

Thanks for the offer but I think I was able to get it right, now steering wheel is dead center and it no longer pulls to the side. I measured wheel to fender, loosened all bolts, moved the axle little by little until the measurement matched. Also measured common point from the rear wheel to front wheels to double check they were equal. Tightened everything down and she was good to go.

I also got the top d/s bolt situation addressed, used some washers to take up the extra space an used a new slightly longer bolt.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If your car is not going down the road straight after installing relocation brackets, either you didn't properly install them or you have bent brackets.

Or it could be variations between left and right side relocation brackets during the manufacturing process...

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
^ Each side is different.

This situation occurs due to:

- Engineering / Design

- Manufacturing

- Installation (positioning)

- Twisted/tweaked axle tubes

- OEM Tolerances

As for our brackets, there really is no manufacturing tolerance change - as the position of our brackets are determined by holes that are laser cut, and also checked on each and every bracket.

There is "slop" typically in the mounting holes - this is the #1 cause of this issue. There is a surprising amount of adjustment available in the bolt/hole slop.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
Well after my research I definitely would have bought BMR ones if I'd have been looking for new ones at this time...

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
If your car is not going down the road straight after installing relocation brackets, either you didn't properly install them or you have bent brackets.

Or twisted axle tubes in the housing. Scary how I've seen it happen even on stockers.

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

This is untrue.

After having this problem many years ago with two different sets of BMR relocation brackets, I decided to give it another try with the FRPP Boss 302S brackets. They still produce a "dog crawl" effect, though it's not as noticeable as it was with the BMR brackets. I've concluded the stock axle mounts aren't perfect and lengthening the mount another couple of inches exacerbates the imperfection to the point where it's noticeable driving.

It's not curable with an adjustable panhard bar; the only fix is adjustable lower control arms, which is the next thing on my shopping list since my current ones have a bit too much bushing wear for my liking.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Agree with Kelly and Bingo.

Everything is subject to build tolerances, and occasionally something sneaks out the door that's a little outside that. Even "perfectly made" relo brackets will multiply any error that exists in the OE brackets. Or that occur due to bolt to hole clearances.

I know I was pretty fussy about matching a set of adjustable LCAs to the OE arm lengths between the holes. I still ended up needing to take one full turn on one of them to bring the steering wheel back to "straight". And that's without having added relo brackets.

Norm

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back