HELP (video) - stupid electrical issue with 06 GT - no power/computer reset

al_1776

Reaction score
This issue has been bugging me for a week and I'm stumped.

I have checked the voltage and ampage on the battery and it is good and I even replaced it. I have replaced the alternator through warranty for a new one even when the last one tested good and I have cleaned the battery terminals real good. I've checked all fuses and relays and they are good. Checked the starter wires and they are good and tight. SJB is dry as the desert and so is the carpet around it. All main chassis grounds were on tight.

What is happening is the computer seems to reset itself when any kind of electrical stuff is being used. Even when I open the doors and the window automatically comes down an inch or so. It doesn't start period now and no power appears to come on EXCEPT the slowly flashing anti theft light and the airbag light if I have the key in. Before, no power came on period. Everytime I try to crank the car with the key, it either does nothing at all or I hear that sound the instrument cluster makes when you reset the ECU.

Yesterday, it worked just fine. I drove it for a couple miles with no gremlins and started it up and off a dozen times. Then I park in the garage, close the doors and hit the lock on my key fod and bam, all power goes out. I try disconnecting my battery and instead of my alarm going off when I connect the negative terminal, it clicks nonstop as if it's trying to off but can't. Like as if it doesn't have enough power.

This all happened last friday when I was parked, driving home from work and out of nowhere the car's computer started resetting itself while the car was driving but the actual motor wasn't turning off. I made it just far enough home in my driveway then the car wouldn't turn back on again until tomorrow when I disconnected the battery and let it sit for a couple hours. The day after, the motor was turning off while the same symptoms were showing though. All dummy lights like ABS, TCS go on, gauges reset, radio resets, lights turn off and on and you get that braking feeling.

All in all, sometimes it works 100%, sometimes half the car works until I hit some electric stuff with or without the motor on and sometimes I get nothing.

Here is a video of what it is doing right now, and you can clearly hear the noises and computer clicking. One of the clicks is me constantly turning on the lights which causes the computer to reset ( or the use of any electrics it appears ).

How do I go on about finding the problem? I'd hate to take it to a mechanic and get charged an arm and a leg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3-gEowkc2Q

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate intermittent gremlins like these, my next step would likely be to remove and clean and inspect all the connectors at the SJB and PCM. From there I would pull the top of the fuse panel under hood, clean and inspect that and reseat. Based on the motor still running and weird things happening in the car I would suspect and replace the SJB next.

boomer9999

Reaction score
looks like battery or battery cables to me. when you try to start it and the dash goes dead.

al_1776

Reaction score
I hate intermittent gremlins like these, my next step would likely be to remove and clean and inspect all the connectors at the SJB and PCM. From there I would pull the top of the fuse panel under hood, clean and inspect that and reseat. Based on the motor still running and weird things happening in the car I would suspect and replace the SJB next.

I tried wiggling it around and such, nada =/

It's weird because sometimes the motor runs while the car's computer and electrics reset itself than other times it all stalls outs when the computer resets.

looks like battery or battery cables to me. when you try to start it and the dash goes dead.

Replaced battery. Why would the cables go bad out of nowhere? They look fine to me with no corrosion.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
What kind of voltage are you getting at the battery with the car running? Your symptoms are very similar to what happened to mine when the alternator quit on me.

al_1776

Reaction score
What kind of voltage are you getting at the battery with the car running? Your symptoms are very similar to what happened to mine when the alternator quit on me.

14.1 volts while the car was running, verified through the OBD

My last alternator I took out and it tested GOOD but I replaced it anyways for another new one because it was covered under warranty. Nothing changed. Still doing the same problem.

Last edited:

al_1776

Reaction score
I disconnected the battery wiring harness which includes

motor mount ground
motor mount tower ground
positive and negative terminal
starter power wire
fuse box power

and reconnected it back.

Now there is NO power whatsoever, even after leaving the car sitting. Could this mean one of those cables is bad? I found this... This is the cable that goes from the positive terminal straight to the fuse box.. This is also how the fuse box ( and SJB ) gets power from the alternator while driving. Thoughts? Could this be my problem?

ntt4ENo.jpg

RpwMAle.jpg

OAChL2o.jpg

pY8f8Lf.jpg

al_1776

Reaction score
It worked. I replaced the cable entirely with a 4 gauge 32" cable from advance for $6.. Bought some cable insulation and electrical tape as well. $11 to fix this. Hooked it up straight from the positive terminal to the fuse box. Started faster than ever and ran like a champ.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back