Rods and piston help

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade the rods and piston on my stock motor so I can get it set up for some boost. The question I have is that when looking at the rods and piston i don't know the specifications do it can be three right fit for my engine. Like the bore size, the dish size, and if it would be a good idea to add to bearings. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thank you in advance

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
I went with Manley H rods, 6.5cc dished pistons and king main and rod bearings. Kept my compression around 9.8:1 which is good for boost

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Ok ya those are the one I been looking at and ok thanks for that bc I didn't know if it was by preference or my certain specs. Bc I just mostly wanted to upgrade the rods and piston so when I get close to 450rwhp I won't be in that danger zone

Brandon08GT

forum member
Reaction score
Ok ya those are the one I been looking at and ok thanks for that bc I didn't know if it was by preference or my certain specs. Bc I just mostly wanted to upgrade the rods and piston so when I get close to 450rwhp I won't be in that danger zone

If that's all you're going for, why bother? The genera rule of thumb is around 500whp. It isn't the hp that you need to worry about anyways, it's the torque. If that is your goal and you weren't rebuilding the motor anyways, it isn't worth taking apart just for that.

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Oh I will be shooting for more hp and tq in the future I just like to start with getting everything else set before throwing the SC on it. So that way I can be all set when I finally get it on but I'm shooting for much more them 450hp lol.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Most rods and pistons will be labeled for use with a stock stroke motor.

For the piston you are looking for a compression height of 1.220". Bore will depend on your block. Most people just order .020" over but you can wait for disassembly and let the machine shop clean the bores to minimum size needed, then order pistons based on what they tell you. .020" over would be 3.571" or 3.572".

Rods are 5.933" length. AFAIK all of the 4.6 rods are the same journal and pin size.

I did the same as you are doing with my first motor. Built a rod and piston motor for mid 400 power range. I had seen enough stretched and broken rods at that power level to convince me to build it then instead of waiting until it failed.

05sonic4.6

forum member
Reaction score
If you looking to stay in that power range I'd recommend a set of boss rods, they're very affordable and have been proven to hold power much higher than your goal. Just my .02

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
Most rods and pistons will be labeled for use with a stock stroke motor.

For the piston you are looking for a compression height of 1.220". Bore will depend on your block. Most people just order .020" over but you can wait for disassembly and let the machine shop clean the bores to minimum size needed, then order pistons based on what they tell you. .020" over would be 3.571" or 3.572".

Rods are 5.933" length. AFAIK all of the 4.6 rods are the same journal and pin size.

I did the same as you are doing with my first motor. Built a rod and piston motor for mid 400 power range. I had seen enough stretched and broken rods at that power level to convince me to build it then instead of waiting until it failed.
Thanks for the info Bruce but ya same here I seen to many prole do power adders and then Blowing for me to even attempt to want to do that. So I'm going step by step with rods and pistons then better cooling then better brakes and then add the power adder. Shop that way it can be fun and reliable DD.

Diablogt07

forum member
Reaction score
If you looking to stay in that power range I'd recommend a set of boss rods, they're very affordable and have been proven to hold power much higher than your goal. Just my .02

I'll look into that as well. I'm looking just to get kick started by at the end I want to be flirting with 600rwhp. So I'm taking steps to make it as reliable as I can. Step by step lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back