My newest Journey. Health issues.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
So, I'm 53 yrs. old and have led a Blessed life as far as health and well being goes. But on April 22 I got the terrible news that I have prostate Cancer. Me and the Drs. have been watching my psa levels for a couple of years and they suddenly skyrocketed to 7.4 in February of this year. After biopsy on April 11 it was confirmed. However, it is somewhat mid grade on the Gleason scale it is imperative to take action. The decision was made to go to MDAnderson in Houston, Tx and after talking with Drs. there it was decided for surgery over Radiation or Chemo.
Flash forward to 6/15/16. Went to MDA for blood testing, preop, anesthesia assessment and MRI to map out the area to be removed. 6/16/16 - surgery day. All went well according to the Drs. However, I feel like my insides are ripped out. But not as bad as I expected. Got discharged today and am recovering locally.

Long/short of this is if your 45+, start having blood testing and prostate exams yearly at a minimum. If your blood psa level is above 0 and your Dr. seems unconcerned seek a new urologists. Mine was 4 last year and my urologists did nothing. He probably could have treated but didn't.

Sent from iPhone

waylander

forum member
Reaction score
shit dude - that's fucking dreadful! Fingers crossed and a prayer for you that everything goes well!

As an aside - for those of us of a 'certain age'... were there any symptoms or was this purely caught due to a check-up?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good luck and speedy recovery.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
shit dude - that's fucking dreadful! Fingers crossed and a prayer for you that everything goes well!

As an aside - for those of us of a 'certain age'... were there any symptoms or was this purely caught due to a check-up?

Purely by blood testing. Psa = prostate-specific antigen.
http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/psa

I had no symptoms nor was my prostate enlarged. I had no noticeable noids that could be felt during exam. Then the biopsy showed positive for the cancer.

Again, don't wait for symptoms. Do some research on the symptoms so you will recognize them. Most people have some symptoms. Also, keep a watch out for a burning (slight) in the area just behind the scrotum. This is the only symptom I have had.

Sent from iPhone

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Best for a speedy recovery.

JimC

Reaction score
Prayers and good thoughts for a speedy recovery

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
a positive attitude and outlook is a big part of fighting it. good luck. cancer is a word, not a sentence.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
a positive attitude and outlook is a big part of fighting it. good luck. cancer is a word, not a sentence.

Amen brother.

The Drs. Are confident they got it all. Of course there's the dissection of the tumor and additional material to determine for sure.

Feel restless today but very good and only minor pain. Positive!

Sent from iPhone

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
We were blessed to find this great shady rv park here local to the hospital. We brought our Trailer over in advance so we would not have to pay high motel bills, etc. and we can cook and hang out. It has been a Blessing for sure. If anyone ever needs it, it is South Main RV park about 3 mi. from MDA and has shuttle service. There is another one a little further down the road called Lakeside RV park. It too has shuttle, but way less shade. Most people here are here for MDA.

Sent from iPhone

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
I've lived your journey and feel for you. Cancer is the most challenging experience I've faced. I'm forty years old today and it is just shy of two years cancer free.

I still have daily reminders and side effects from Chemo and surgery, but I would do it all again to see my kids grow into adults.

Keep following the advice of your doctors. Take extra time to heal and live life!

Beating this disease causes an entire new outlook on life. A lot of things just don't seem as important or dire afterwards.

God bless my brother!!

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Kyle, im sorry man that you and the family have to go through this. I hope things go well for you and you have a fast recovery.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I've lived your journey and feel for you. Cancer is the most challenging experience I've faced. I'm forty years old today and it is just shy of two years cancer free.

I still have daily reminders and side effects from Chemo and surgery, but I would do it all again to see my kids grow into adults.

Keep following the advice of your doctors. Take extra time to heal and live life!

Beating this disease causes an entire new outlook on life. A lot of things just don't seem as important or dire afterwards.

God bless my brother!!

You are right, it is the most challenging for me as well. Even though I've lived through family members journeys through cancer and lost my sister at a young 46 years old to liver cancer. But it is a whole new conquest when it's you fighting the battle.

In MDA they have a sign in the waiting room that says,
"You are a cancer survivor starting the moment you are diagnosed."

Keep up the good fight and bless you my brother. May God be the Glory!

Kyle, im sorry man that you and the family have to go through this. I hope things go well for you and you have a fast recovery.

Thank you James. So far things are going well. Surgery went well, I'm getting stronger each day. Pain level is low, I'm a Blessed man.

Sent from iPhone

Marble

forum member
Reaction score
You are right, it is the most challenging for me as well. Even though I've lived through family members journeys through cancer and lost my sister at a young 46 years old to liver cancer. But it is a whole new conquest when it's you fighting the battle.

In MDA they have a sign in the waiting room that says,
"You are a cancer survivor starting the moment you are diagnosed."

Keep up the good fight and bless you my brother. May God be the Glory!

Thank you James. So far things are going well. Surgery went well, I'm getting stronger each day. Pain level is low, I'm a Blessed man.

Sent from iPhone

I got my treatment at cancer treatment centers of America. I felt like I was seeing my family every time I walked in to the hospital. All of the staff was top notch from the valet to the head surgeon.

While there I was told by many patients and a few of the doctors that they doo not give the "you have those long to live" speech. Life, disease, treatment and God all have roles in that process and no doctor should be arrogant enough to know all of it. Sometimes people want to know, but it is not anywhere near an exact science.

I am a survivor. I am a fighter. Obstacles do not keep me from achieving my goals with anything. It just changes my path.

I definitely, and you do too, have a very different outlook on life after our experiences.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Prayers for a full recovery!

Thanks All prayers are much appreciated.

I got my treatment at cancer treatment centers of America. I felt like I was seeing my family every time I walked in to the hospital. All of the staff was top notch from the valet to the head surgeon.

While there I was told by many patients and a few of the doctors that they doo not give the "you have those long to live" speech. Life, disease, treatment and God all have roles in that process and no doctor should be arrogant enough to know all of it. Sometimes people want to know, but it is not anywhere near an exact science.

I am a survivor. I am a fighter. Obstacles do not keep me from achieving my goals with anything. It just changes my path.

I definitely, and you do too, have a very different outlook on life after our experiences.

Oh there is no doubt about it. MDA is that same way. The only thing I had a little trouble with was most of the nurses are foreigners. I could not understand them. Of course I have that problem with broken English. My wife could understand them all so it wasn't problem. She just had to repeat everything they said to me.

Sent from iPhone

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
I am a praying man, you are in my prayers.

Thank you sir!

I had a pretty rough day yesterday. All the nerves began "waking up" and I was in much pain. Got really weak last night after my shower. However, I slept well and feel much better today.

Sent from iPhone

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back