Drag Truck - The Danger Ranger

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Great job on the build thread. I enjoy your writing style. Whats the plan for the dash? Are you going to reinstall later or?

Rm

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Great job on the build thread. I enjoy your writing style. Whats the plan for the dash? Are you going to reinstall later or?

Rm

Thanks! That's high praise for someone who has always sucked at "writing". Only good paper I've ever written was a technical paper for an engineering class. As far as the dash goes, I really don't know. I like the retro look of it but I don't think it is going to work with the swap I have in mind. I'd love if someone came along and told me they wanted to buy it. If that's the case, I'm just going to do a lightweight aluminum dash with some gauges.

do you live in ABQ NM i think i recogniced the freeway and license plates. I also live in ABQ

I do. I'm down by the airport. I'm not next to the freeway though. Just a random billboard in an empty lot across the street. If you want any ranger parts, you know where to find me =)

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Woo Woo! Got my 8.8 today from the Pull-a-Thon. Cost me a total of $74 between admission and the out the door cost +tax. Brought my housemate along as he also needed a couple parts to put the steering column of his truck back together...someone attempted to steal it about 2 months ago but failed to defeat the anti theft. Anyway, we spent about a half hour getting his parts then headed over the the ford truck section. Yesterday I went and scouted out what they had and where the trucks were that had what I wanted. I'll tell you....I scraped off quite a few tags yesterday checking the gear ratio. Finally decided on a 98 Explorer with a limited slip 3.73. It was in good condition, still had the brakes on it, and the rotors still have some life in them. I started by disconnecting (cutting) the ebrake cable and brake line going to the axle. My buddy started working on the u-bolts with some PB Blaster and a crescent wrench. NOTE- BRING A DEEP SOCKET 19MM. The crescent didn't have enough room to work so we asked the guy working on the interior of the truck if he had a deep 19mm. HE DID! Saved our butts. My 200pc Craftsman set only goes up to 18. Anyway, got everything disconnected, removed the bump stops and was able to pull the driver side between the frame and leaf springs. The other side however....pain in the butt. The passenger side was supported by some tires under the leaf and not the frame like the driver side. This was loading the springs and made the gap small enough that we couldn't slide the brake assembly through. Ended up having to stack some tires under the bumper and unbolted the rear of the leaf to get a gap big enough to drop it out. I don't know what it is for, but there is a sensor at the top of the diff (ABS maybe?) and we cut the harness a few feet down the line and used that to tie up all the pieces for my buddy and headed over to the line. Lots of people carrying transmissions and interior/exterior pieces with seat belts. Nothing said you couldn't jury rig your own carrying harnesses. I think the best one was a bed liner full of stuff with seat belt handles on either side. We didn't need any of that nonsense. My buddy just picked it up and carried it (we're both capable but he's the stronger of the two so he did it. Earned his free parts). Paid for the parts and pulled the truck around, loaded up, and headed home. It is going to sit on the floor until I'm ready to get it shortened. So for the day, we had fun, I spent $74 and got an 8.8 with disc brakes, a clock spring, blinker assembly, steering column support, a side mirror, a cold bottle of water, and a T-shirt!

Bonus for you. A video to get a feel for what it was like with people carrying stuff

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Nothing super exciting to report. Yesterday I bought a paint scraper and spent 2 hours pulling that crap up off the floor. I think it is sound deadening but who knows. Folks and girlfriend are in town for the weekend so I won't be getting anything done.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Started taking apart the 8.8 today so I could get it to the shop to get shortened. Got the disc brakes, lines, differential, axle shafts all removed. In the process of doing so, dropped one of the c clips down and it ended up in the oil passage next to the pinion gear. Tried fishing it out but to no avail. I need a 3 jaw pulley anyway to get the pinion flange off so I'll retrieve it then.

Called the driveline shop in town that came up top of a google search to see if they did axle housing shortening and of course, they didn't, but referred me to anther business. FIVE referrals later I finally found a machine and welding shop that does it for $150. Little steep compared to other places I found online, but that's life in a smaller (relative) city I suppose. I'll get it to them once I get the housing taken apart.

Once the housing is shortened, I'll order my axles, c clip elims, and clutch pack along with any other little odds and ends I need to button up the rear. I am going to hold off on moving the shock and spring mounts until I'm ready to set the pinion angle.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Dropped the gas tank a few days ago. Original plan was do a fuel cell and drop in the donor car's fuel pump but most budget fuel cells are external pump and I don't want to drop the dough on that right now. So I'll be keeping the stock tank for the time being. Started organizing the garage because I've just been laying parts wherever the has been room.

Spent a couple hours this week putting together a price sheet of stuff I need to get the truck ready to go racing just so I have some perspective on how much I need to spend and gives me a good shopping list so I don't forget anything. If you have parts that you would think is obvious but have missed in the past, please do let me know.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Need elims on my Explorer 8.8 that is getting shortened to fit under my Ranger for drag racing. Yukon makes the kit, linked below, but does not sell the elims separately. I contacted them and they will sell me just the elims, but the tech cautioned me to do more research because the bearings are for 9" housings. Shouldn't matter because the bearing is external to the housing right? I'll just need to make sure the bearing journal is the correct diameter when I order the axles. It wouldn't make sense that they sell a kit for the 8.8 and have components in the kit not work. Tell me I'm not crazy.

https://www.ringpinion.com/b2c/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=10255

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Axle housing was dropped of yesterday. Should be done in about 2 weeks.

Has anyone used or heard of assassin bars? They are like Caltracs except have a lot more adjustability but cost about 25% less. They are primarily used on old Chevys and Mopars but read that they have been used on Rangers. From what I found, people seem to like them a little more than the Caltracs due to the added adjustability but I'm hesitant due to lack of popularity.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting point brought up with my axles. Having a little bit of lateral angle keeps some movement in the u-joints so they stay happy. I think the vertical should just be good. What do you guys think?

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Called up SRD and they said that they could make me a custom set of Assassin Bars for the same price as their other ones. I don't see any reason to not go with them

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I don't know what it is for, but there is a sensor at the top of the diff (ABS maybe?) and we cut the harness a few feet down the line and used that to tie up all the pieces for my buddy and headed over to the line.

ABS/VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

It's a hall-effect magnet system that tells the computer how many RPM the ring gear is turning.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
ABS/VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)

It's a hall-effect magnet system that tells the computer how many RPM the ring gear is turning.

Thanks! It is just going to stay there for now to keep the hole filled.

The machine shop said 2 weeks for my axle housing so hopefully it'll be done early next week. Then I can start getting everything on the rear end buttoned back up...primarily custom axle shafts and seeing what kind of brackets/spacers I'll need for the brake calipers. Still planning on ordering Assassin Bars for suspension upgrade.

ASRoff

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try to dig up some photos of my old 85 ranger.... I did a small block swap back in 1990..... thanks for the memory :) and If ya have any questions please ask.... We did quite a few of them back in the day...

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I'll try to dig up some photos of my old 85 ranger.... I did a small block swap back in 1990..... thanks for the memory :) and If ya have any questions please ask.... We did quite a few of them back in the day...

Awesome! I would love to see some pictures.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Update. Got my axle back this week. I can't remember what they said they took off, but it was either 3 5/8 or 3 7/16 so my measurements were close and that fraction of an inch won't make a difference with the length of the driveshaft anyway. Waiting on bearings to get in so I can measure up for custom axle shafts.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the length between posts, but it's been a "fun" few weeks. I ended up ordering the eliminator kit from Yukon minus the axle shafts while the housing was at the shop getting shortened. Once I got the axle housing back, installed the eliminator blocks to measure up specs to get custom axles cut by strange since a buddy is a dealer for them. They got back to him after a couple days and said they couldn't cut them because the bearing shoulder required is too big. I called strange and worked directly with Tucker as to why they couldn't cut me the axles and he worked out that they couldn't do them in alloy, but they could in the Hy-Tuf race axles, which is a track only axle. I want to be able to street the truck too so that wasn't going to work but I left the option on the table. They later called back and said they couldn't cut any axles for me in confidence since they had no template to work from. Tucker was awesome and did everything he could to help but it just didn't work out in the end.

Now I'm back at ground zero (this is about 2 weeks ago). I looked through my options and called up Moser to see how much they charge to cut and respline axles. It was 75 plus shipping. Ok fine. I was browsing through my Ranger forum and found Dutchman Motorsports as a recommended shop and looked them up. They only charge $55 and are located between me and Yukon so I would save on shipping. I clarified with Dutchman and Yukon that I could have them sent and shortened/respline and both concurred. Fast forward a week later, Dutchman gets the axles in and TJ gives me a call. Turns out on this particular axle they make the spline in such a way (roll on?) that the diameter of the spline is slightly larger than the shaft so shortening it wasn't going to happen. CRAP. I just can't win. I played phone tag back and forth with TJ for an afternoon and he hooked me up with a set of 4130 axles. They measured the Yukon axles so they could have all the correct dimensions and returned them for me. I called my local machine shop to confirm how much they cut off and they said 3.5", so that's what I requested be removed. Note that is slightly different than what I said in my previous post. They had to machine a little extra off the bearing shoulder and install a spacer so that the bearing would seal properly. I believe this is the issue strange was having initially. Anyway, a week after ordering I have a shiny new set of axles that fit wonderfully!

Test fit the axles and the shortened side is about 1/4" long and I attribute that to neither myself or the machinist remember how much we took off the housing. Now I just need to get the bearings pressed on and then the axle is ready for test fitting (still need to move spring perches). Yesterday I ordered ARP wheel studs, a Ford Racing Diff Cover, clutch pack, and new crush sleeve. I'll post small updates here and there but life is busy right now and I'm going to be moving right around new year's so the project will be on hold while I'm house buying and moving.

I'd like to thank TJ at Dutchman Motorsports for working with me through the process. He was more than helpful, always returned my calls even when I didn't leave a message, and provided customer service that makes a customer for life.

Lesson learned- people add the 9" housing ends for a reason. Everyone is familiar with them and it would have eliminated the headaches I encountered throughout the process. Pony up the little extra upfront and it will make your life much easier.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Got back from a week at home for the holidays last night and figured I'd spend today finishing up the axle before I move next month. Turns out the side that was shortened was shortened a bit more than the shop told me....the axle shaft came out too long and hits the pinion shaft. Gonna have to send it back to get shortened and resplined :mad:

ha1234

Reaction score
Pretty excited to see what this thing is like when finished...I love seeing older vehicles given new life

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back