New Car in Terry's garage as of February 22nd 2017 ...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Well Cathy and I decided to trade in her 2014 MCS (mini Cooper Sport) yesterday.

She wanted to get a much more useful car than the 2-door MCS.

So I have been checking all different cars out and finally decided on the VW 2017 Golf R Model with the 6-Speed
DSG transmission W/Paddle-Shifters.

It's a Oryx White Pearl exterior with a Black interior W/white stitching.

Also this time around this one has 4-doors that actually adults can sit in the rear seats even if they are 6-foot tall with head clearance.

It's a hatchback so easy loading and unloading with 60/40 individual Fold-Down rear-seats.

Tons of storage space with rear seats up and with them down a full size bike will fit in the area.

One of the main considerations for both of us this time around was getting the VW 4MOTION all-wheel drive.

So we went yesterday afternoon and signed the paperwork and then Arnaldo showed us the complete car covering 99% of all functions.
It's a good thing we had him as the car is very complex and jam-packed with electronic functions.
Honestly I really doubt there is anyway Cathy or I would ever use all the functions the Golf R has available.
It reminds me a lot of my Galaxy Samsung 7 Smart-Phone in it's complexity.
One would have to spend a lot of time in it and constantly use the functions to be able to remember many of them.

Last thing I think some of you might be wondering ???????????
How does it Perform ............
It will accelerate 0-60 MPH in less than 5-seconds.

Below are the pictures I took for those of you that have and like other vehicles than our Bullitt Mustangs.

This me when I went over the 1st time to see if I wanted to actually pursue purchasing it last Saturday.

Now Cathy and I are at Hallmark VW in Cool Springs, TN actually taking delivery.
(Notice through the showroom window you can see our traded in Red 2014 MCS)

It has 19" Pretoria wheels with Pirelli Run-Flat-Tires.
(Very Large Brakes, it Stops guys)

Here is the interior and it has totally awesome Fit & Finish.
(The interior is Black I used Flash to show the interior)

You might wonder why I took a picture of the Glove-Box open ???

My buddy Tom Cochran in San Antonio, TX bought the same exact Golf R with the exception his had the, Rear-Cargo-Net option.
So I took all these pictures to show him as close as I could what the Golf R looked like as he had not yet gone to his local VW dealer.
Oh, Tom actually got his Golf R 1-Day before Cathy & I took delivery I think Tom Smiled a little guys.
tango_face_smile.png

The Center-Armrest is adjustable.

Below in the driver's seat is our guy, Arnaldo and he is one Super-Sharp-Fellow on the Golf R.
He spent hours with us going over every function on the car and also took us for a quick test drive to Demonstrate several of it's, (Safety Functions).

Below is Cathy and Terry right before we went into the F&I Business Office and met a heck of a Super-Nice-Guy Antonio.
(Talk about a salesman he was that but more importantly he was a Down-to-Earth fellow to deal with)

Left to Right

Cathy, Terry & Arnaldo

Last picture at the Hallmark VW Dealership in Cool Springs, TN. with the whole crew.
Guys this was an awesome experience dealing with all the Hallmark Crew including getting to meet in person the G/M Aaron.
Not many G/Ms take the time to come out and say hello much less take pictures with the customers.
So all I can say is anyone looking for a VW give Arnaldo a call and he might very well be able to put a Favorable-Deal
together for you to Drive or Fly in to Nashville and pick-up your New ride.

Hallmark
Volkswagen at Cool Springs

620 Bakers Bridge Rd.
Franklin, TN 37067
(855) 657-1645

Link below,
Hallmark Volkswagen at Cool Springs

Left to right below

Arnaldo, Cathy, Terry, Antonio & Aaron the G/M

And below are the Super HAPPY owners of their New 2017 VW Oryx White Pearl Golf R at home.

And this is the wife (Cathy) that the New Golf R actually belongs to
new-cloud9.gif

I would not be much of a buddy guys if I did not post this Last Picture of Tom Cochran (TexasTom) with his New Golf R.
(I'm doing this even though he got his 1-day before Cathy & I) LOL !!!

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
geez, $42K for a VW Golf.....

nice looking ride - enjoy, next time needs more pictures... :)

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
292 hp @ 5400 rpm & 280 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm would make for lots of fun in such a small package. C&D ran this car at 13.7 sec @ 103 mph in the quarter. I remember when that was considered pretty quick for a 5.0 Mustang.

I wonder what just a tune would do to that car?

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice lookin ride. So what was the 1% Arnaldo didn't show you?
Well actually he covered so many things there was no-way for anyone to be able to recall what he said.
It is a very complex machine with it's electronics.
He did good
icon10.gif

geez, $42K for a VW Golf.....

nice looking ride - enjoy, next time needs more pictures... :)

Your Busting my Balls again I'm thinking (more pictures)

I'll see what I can do on adding additional pictures buddy.
icon10.gif

292 hp @ 5400 rpm & 280 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm would make for lots of fun in such a small package. C&D ran this car at 13.7 sec @ 103 mph in the quarter. I remember when that was considered pretty quick for a 5.0 Mustang.

I wonder what just a tune would do to that car?
For $600.00 dollars there is a chip that drops the 0-60 time to like 4.2 seconds.

Adds as I recall an extra 60 H/P.

So the Golf R can be a real Bad-Ass for it's small engine.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I did a track day last summer with a guy who had a Golf R. Those things are no joke on the road course. And although I agree with stkjock that $40K plus is outrageous for a VW Golf, IMHO, I must say that those things are properly equipped! They really lack for nothing, as far as the "bells and whistles" go.

Nice car, Terry! Congrats on the new ride!

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congrats!

Thanks ...............

I did a track day last summer with a guy who had a Golf R. Those things are no joke on the road course. And although I agree with stkjock that $40K plus is outrageous for a VW Golf, IMHO, I must say that those things are properly equipped! They really lack for nothing, as far as the "bells and whistles" go.

Nice car, Terry! Congrats on the new ride!
As you already know they only offer a few options and with them the Golf R for 2017 is totally equipped.
I think you said it well, (They really lack for nothing, as far as the "bells and whistles" go.)

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello gang,

Well I decided since the R was totally clean it would be an excellent time to detail it.
So the other day I put a coat of Meguiar's Liquid Wax on it.
Took my time and did the complete car as thoroughly as I could.
I then let it sit for an (Hour) for it to completely cure.

Used my Micro-fiber Griot's towels to remove the Meguiar's.
They are very soft and do an excellent job with No-Scratches.

Below are the pictures I took of before and after.
I also took three pictures of the tires it has under it as a few people had asked me what it had.

I also checked the Tire-Pressure on all four and they all were over the Manufacturer's recommended pressure,
So I just let some pressure out of all four.
If you decided to get a new vehicle I suggest checking your air-pressure.
Use a reliable high quality gauge guys not something that was given to you from like Autozone etc.

Well if you like pictures here they are below, enjoy.
They are not in a certain order as photobucket totally mixes them all up when you load them to photobucket.
(Which is a real Major-Pain to try to post them in order they were taken)

Also a few of Cathy actually taken it to Publix the other day for the 1st time.
tango_face_angel.png

A few pictures of it with it's lights on.
If you look you can see the Blue LED Lights Strips.
They look pretty cool.

And below are the three pictures of the tires under it.

Oh before I forget which these days is easy for me to do.
tango_face_wink.png

My Salesman Arnaldo installed the VW valve-stem-covers that match the VW emblems exactly on the Golf R as a Gift.

And he also as a Gift gave Cathy & Me the below VW Key rings.

Cathy going to do her shopping in it.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice ride Terry!

David,

Thank-You
icon14.gif

We are both enjoying it.

I have now had the opportunity to drive it multiple times and the more I drive it the better I like it.

Terry

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
I was checking those out before I got a SHO. Those things with a tune look like fun, but I needed a bigger car for the kids.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I was checking those out before I got a SHO. Those things with a tune look like fun, but I needed a bigger car for the kids.
Joe,

Several of my buddies have the SHO cars and they all praise them.

This R just suits us as we have no children and like a smaller vehicle.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello car people,

Well got a call to drop by Hallmark VW today if I had the time from my salesman Arnaldo.

So drove over and he said I have something for you that I ordered from the parts dept last week it just arrived yesterday.

th

Arnaldo had ordered me the, Upper Bumper Protection Plate for the Golf R.

He took the R back to service and had them clean the upper-bumper-surface and then install the plate.

I have not ever had any sales person, ever do the things this guy has for me on the purchase of any vehicle regardless of price.

Here is Arnaldo as I was getting ready to leave after he had service install that plate.

Terry

BLACK-MACHINE

living my 2nd child hood
Reaction score
terry let me know how you like that DSG trans, i find mine a little quirky in stop and go traffic and have learned to use sport mode till i get up to 15 mph then just shift to drive.
i'm not sure if it because of the turbo lag in the diesel but man is it annoying.
BTW wicked nice car. i have my eye on a V6 passat. i'll give this Passat to my wife.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
terry let me know how you like that DSG trans, i find mine a little quirky in stop and go traffic and have learned to use sport mode till i get up to 15 mph then just shift to drive.
i'm not sure if it because of the turbo lag in the diesel but man is it annoying.
BTW wicked nice car. i have my eye on a V6 passat. i'll give this Passat to my wife.
Speaking of the DSG tranny.

I have not driven the R a whole lot yet.

From what I can tell if I were to drive it in (Comfort) mode in Stop & Go traffic.
At lower RPM it is not all that responsive ..........

I don't drive it in (Comfort) for that reason.

I have it set in (Normal) mode and the DSG does just fine to me at all speeds.

But, set mine in the (Race) mode and the whole car changes in how (Quickly) everything responds to throttle input.

This is a really quick car for what it is.
0 to 60 MPH is 4.9 seconds.
That's pretty darn fast for a four cylinder sedan to me.

As a comparison the 2008 Bullitt Mustang I have (Stock) with a manual and 3:73 gears from Ford is,
0–60 mph
5.1 sec

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a14063/2008-ford-mustang-bullitt-1/

The reason we decided on this Golf R was it is a very usable car for us.
We can take other adults with us as a normal size 6' person can sit in behind the driver and their head not touch the roof.
Even with the rear seats not folded down you have lots of room for grocery bags.
Fold the rear seats down and you have the room of a small SUV.

Then on top of that it is All-Wheel-Drive and the performance is excellent.

Hwy mileage is rated at 30 MPG so it's not going to eat the owner up on fuel cost.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was contacted and ask to take some Closer pictures and a few Close-Up's of the panel so here you are.

The Real Close-Up's if you look closely show the (Brushed) look to it in the finish.

It looks very nice when seen in person.

Terry

J B

Goldmember
Reaction score
Speaking of the DSG tranny.

I have not driven the R a whole lot yet.

From what I can tell if I were to drive it in (Comfort) mode in Stop & Go traffic.
At lower RPM it is not all that responsive ..........

I don't drive it in (Comfort) for that reason.

I have it set in (Normal) mode and the DSG does just fine to me at all speeds.

But, set mine in the (Race) mode and the whole car changes in how (Quickly) everything responds to throttle input.

This is a really quick car for what it is.
0 to 60 MPH is 4.9 seconds.
That's pretty darn fast for a four cylinder sedan to me.

As a comparison the 2008 Bullitt Mustang I have (Stock) with a manual and 3:73 gears from Ford is,
0–60 mph
5.1 sec

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/road-tests/reviews/a14063/2008-ford-mustang-bullitt-1/

The reason we decided on this Golf R was it is a very usable car for us.
We can take other adults with us as a normal size 6' person can sit in behind the driver and their head not touch the roof.
Even with the rear seats not folded down you have lots of room for grocery bags.
Fold the rear seats down and you have the room of a small SUV.

Then on top of that it is All-Wheel-Drive and the performance is excellent.

Hwy mileage is rated at 30 MPG so it's not going to eat the owner up on fuel cost.

Terry
That AWD has alot to do with the 0 - 60. Thats a very impressive for any stock car and especially any small displacement engine.

JimC

Reaction score
Looks good Terry

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back