Should I attempt to change spark plugs myself?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
My 05 GT currently has 78K miles on it and it's still on the factory installed spark plugs.

I know these spark plugs can break and it can be a pain to get out.

Should I attempt to replace the spark plugs myself or should I take it to a professional ? I can do basic maintenance myself but nothing really complicated.

Should I also replace the ignition coils as well since they've never been replaced either ?

Thanks.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Can't say on the spark plugs. If it was me, it would depend on how much it would cost a professional to do it versus doing it myself. I wouldn't change the coils, but I would change the coil boots. Even if they look good they can still be defective.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If you're confident then give it a shot. The biggest thing is being patient. I rushed a little on the last set I pulled and broke one. But that was the first one I had broken out of a few sets I've changed. And it had 125k on it.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
I think I'll give it a shot. Worst case, the plug breaks.
If that happens, I'll just tow it to a shop.

jhunt47

forum member
Reaction score
I used my 3/8 air impact and got everyone of them out without breaking 120k. This is how the majority of ford tech are doing them. You are correct but some shops charge different so be prepared. Some may charge by the entire job no matter how many they break. Others I have seen charge by each broken plug.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So if the majority of Ford techs are using air impacts for getting plugs out according to your claim without breaking.. This means the techs are doing so against Ford's TSB removal procedure that clearly states against using anything other than hand tools for extracting 16mm high-threaded spark plugs..

At any rate, until Ford changes their TSB removal procedure.. I'll just continue to follow the current TSB recommended procedure as required !

46addict

Reaction score
The TSB calls for spraying carb cleaner into the plug well with the plugs 1/8 to 1/4 of the way out and letting it soak for 15 minutes. Impact wrench has worked for a lot of people too. Either way this needs to be done when the engine is cold.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I changed mine at 80K, so right around where you are.

Go slowly, take your time, I did mine over several days because the car was stored for the winter anyway. PB Blaster will also dissolve the carbon pretty well. I only had one break and it didn't even break like most do- the hex part spun off the whole body of the plug. I actually had to break it off so I could use the Lisle tool and get it out.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
follow the write ups on the board and you'll be ok IMHO

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
I followed the tsb and i had one break just like ghunt did, had to take a ratchet extension and tap the top of the plug with a hammer to use the lisle tool. When i remove plugs next time i'm going to do it old school. Warm the engine, spray penetrating oil, then impact them out. IMO if they're gonna break they're gonna break no matter the method. Get ahold of the lisle tool and don't worry about it that tool is slick.

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
The first time I did mine I soaked them on an at first warm engine with aerokroil overnight. Then just took it one plug at a time and went nice and easy. Once the removal torque increased I'd run it back in a half turn and reapply the aerokroil. After the first time I just remove them like normal plugs as I run nitrous and are constantly pulling plugs. I've done the same thing on my dads car with good results. I pre-bought the removal tool and because of that I'm sure to never need it. [emoji12]. Kinda like buying a plow garantees a mild winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07 Boss

Reaction score
I've done it with the engine warm, not hot, done it with the engine cold. Never used any kind of penetrating fluid, and never have I used power tools with an aluminum head. never had an issue with a plug breaking but I've only run a few sets of the 2-piece plugs. And like Phatty, I am constantly pulling them to check them. If you check and clean them every once in a while you should never have this issue. It's a good habit to get into anyways.

46addict

Reaction score
I am guilty of removing plugs on a warm engine to check them. I was quoting the bold lettering in the TSB when I said the plug change should be done on a cold engine.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought the TSB said you were supposed to break the plugs loose when the engine was warmed up? I can't remember now but that's what I did. Maybe somebody had just said to do that. Only turned them a half turn or so though.

travelers

Reaction score
Check around and see if you can have access to the removal tool incase you brake one. They really work good and it might save you a tow job and pro doing the same thing. I have broken a few on a 5.4 and the tool works great.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back