Should I attempt to change spark plugs myself?

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Check around and see if you can have access to the removal tool incase you brake one. They really work good and it might save you a tow job and pro doing the same thing. I have broken a few on a 5.4 and the tool works great.

I might buy a Lisle plug removal tool. I can always return it for a refund if I don't use it.

I will say a prayer to Allah, Jehovah, and Krishna before attempting this.

06redgt

forum member
Reaction score
I changed mine at 75K when I installed the procharger. Filled the spark plug bores with aerokroil up to the top of the hex for the spark plug, then backed up each spark plug 1/8-1/4 turn. Let soak for a while (I let it soak while I installed the supercharger, like 8 hours). When I finally went to remove I worked each one out slowly, going back and forth. Didn't break any. I think that was the first time the plugs were removed on the car.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
What fluid should I use to loosen the spark plugs?

• BP Blaster
  • Sea Foam Deep Creep
  • Carb cleaner
  • Aerokroil
I've heard good things about Sea Foam Deep Creep

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
I used a 50/50 of ATF and acetone, not bad

groundpounder

forum member
Reaction score
I used PB Blaster. Well, I had it on hand if I needed it. I did mine at 20k and followed the TSB. Mine came out with a couple squeaks but nothing broke. Used a little copper antiseize when I installed the new plugs.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I used PB Blaster. Well, I had it on hand if I needed it. I did mine at 20k and followed the TSB. Mine came out with a couple squeaks but nothing broke. Used a little copper antiseize when I installed the new plugs.
Unless your running Brisk racing plugs, it's not recommended to use other than Nickel anti-seize for platinum based spark plugs.. As copper and aluminum don't mix very well together..

05gtowner

forum member
Reaction score
Run it with two bottles of techron through the tank then when you are close to being out of fuel change the plugs on a warm not hot engine. Break them all loose a eighth to quarter of a turn then fill them up to the porcelain with deep creep. It is a decarbonizer. That is what makes the plugs stick. Let it sit over night then hit them with a impact.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
Run it with two bottles of techron through the tank then when you are close to being out of fuel change the plugs on a warm not hot engine. Break them all loose a eighth to quarter of a turn then fill them up to the porcelain with deep creep. It is a decarbonizer. That is what makes the plugs stick. Let it sit over night then hit them with a impact.

I'll be attempting this soon. I don't have an impact wrench so I'll be using a normal manual wrench.

Also I heard that I should not exceed some torque level when loosening the plugs. Was that 35 ft-lb max?

Wish me luck folks !

Phil1098

Reaction score
I wouldn't hit them with an impact, that could break the ends off pretty easy. Loosen 1/8 of a turn and soak with any listed. I used Deep Creep but don't have the mileage of most. Let the solvent work for several hours and then go slow working them back and forth. Don't start going and then if it gets tight just crank harder, you'll break them. If they start to get tight, run them back in and then back out as many times until they come all the way out.

LordBritish

forum member
Reaction score
I wouldn't hit them with an impact, that could break the ends off pretty easy. Loosen 1/8 of a turn and soak with any listed. I used Deep Creep but don't have the mileage of most. Let the solvent work for several hours and then go slow working them back and forth. Don't start going and then if it gets tight just crank harder, you'll break them. If they start to get tight, run them back in and then back out as many times until they come all the way out.

Do I need to use nickel anti-seize ?

MilehighGS

Reaction score
Did my own at 72k. 1/4 turn, sprayed PB blaster, let it sit overnight, then turned another 1/2 and sprayed more PB. I did work the plugs back and forth slowly and did not break one.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Guess I'm the NKOTB & have to ask whet's the deal w/removing plugs on these S197 motors? I've wrenched on everything from a Rupp 5-hp minibike, 1940's farm tractors and diesel semi's...are these plugs prone to seizing in the threads?

saleen07gt

forum member
Reaction score
I work on these motors for a living and used to follow the TSB but every now and then one would break off. So what we started to do was an induction service first and then zip them out with a 3/8 impact gun and remember the hotter the better and have not broken one since

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm the NKOTB & have to ask whet's the deal w/removing plugs on these S197 motors? I've wrenched on everything from a Rupp 5-hp minibike, 1940's farm tractors and diesel semi's...are these plugs prone to seizing in the threads?

not so much seizing as breaking, many threads on the topic if you take a look, 2 pc design flaw

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back