Making fast go fast with a 323 Big Bore Stroker

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
So, after my last motor having issues with the cam followers​, with no passes and very little time on the motor, and Boss Big Bore assembly sitting in my garage, I decided to go ahead and pull the current motor out and go ahead with the BB block. I sent everything to the machine shop a couple weeks ago and picked it up last week. I assembled the SB today and the decks are way off. I have .015 deck height on bank 1 and .020 on bank 2, it should be .008. When I took it to the machine shop I told them to take off a minimum but to do the same amount on both sides.

Anyone that has built a BB block run into any issues with getting the deck heights correct the first time?

I thought I should have assembled the RA before doing the decks but did not. Did any of you do this!

This will serve as my new go fast thread as well, so that is why it is in Chit Chat and not Tech.

This setup will be around 10:1 CR, 24psi on E85 and only spun to 6200-6400 to keep the F1a from eating bearings. The 3.4 pulley on my F1a Procharger is at 74000 rpms by 6200 on my motor. After seeing a 1.29 60' on the foot brake on the last stroker that ate the rod, I am very excited to add the BB and 21CID more.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I also have a set of Fox Lake heads I bought used here and had gone though, Im going to flow them on the heart breaker bench that I used on mine along with flowing mine back to back with them and use wich ever ones for flow better. Mine are gutted and have 1mm over sized valves with Manley 126124 valve springs and the Fox lake heads are CNC heads with stock sized valves and springs with shims under them that I do not know who makes.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The only way I have to measure deck height is to measure how far the pistons are in the hole.

I have the info in my build thread, can't recall off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure they were right at .008".

As I understand the mill it is going to mill both decks to an equal height provided it is a good mill and that the machine shop set it up properly. The crank is centrally located so I'm just not seeing how the block could account for a big difference in deck height. To me it all points to the machining and/or tool setup.

46addict

Reaction score
I remember your first making fast going fast thread and it's exciting to see part 2. I'll be following this thread. Best wishes to you.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The only way I have to measure deck height is to measure how far the pistons are in the hole.

I have the info in my build thread, can't recall off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure they were right at .008".

As I understand the mill it is going to mill both decks to an equal height provided it is a good mill and that the machine shop set it up properly. The crank is centrally located so I'm just not seeing how the block could account for a big difference in deck height. To me it all points to the machining and/or tool setup.

That would explain the difference side to side I guess. At least with the parts in the block I can give them a solid amount to take off each side. I had told them to take a minimum off and take the same off the other side. Not knowing how much needed to be taken off. Maybe I should have clearenced the bores and line bored the mains, then mock assembled to check deck height. No big deal, I can fix the issue. Main thing is, this is why you blueprint and dont just though things together because its supposed to be right. This is one if those, " Why did my motor only make 600 hp at 24 psi" kind of deals people need to take notice of. Thats why I share my issues, so others dont make them.

As always good luck with the build. Yes I would double check everything.
Thanks.
Goodluck Billy, I can't wait to see how that baby does with the 6r80 behind it.
I am too. Best I can tell, between the trans swap and motor swap, I am putting 150lbs or so on the nose of my car.

Best of luck with the build Billy!
Thank you sir!

I remember your first making fast going fast thread and it's exciting to see part 2. I'll be following this thread. Best wishes to you.

Its going to be interesting foe sure.

Main caps are stock?

Yes, with ARP hardware. Thats the reason to keep the rpms lower at 6200-6400 and spin the blower harder with the 3.4 pulley. I guess we will see how it holds up.

You know me, always doing what shouldn't be done...

I used standard weight Manley I beam rods this time with a brand new everything. Block, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, timing components, you name it.

Im going to let the flow bench determine if I use my heads or the Fox Lake heads.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
And here we go again! Good catch on that Billy, I'll be watching this thread closely, very interested. Best of luck with it man. I'm sure the mains will be fine,

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, with ARP hardware. Thats the reason to keep the rpms lower at 6200-6400 and spin the blower harder with the 3.4 pulley. I guess we will see how it holds up.

You know me, always doing what shouldn't be done...

I used standard weight Manley I beam rods this time with a brand new everything. Block, crank, rods, pistons, bearings, timing components, you name it.

Im going to let the flow bench determine if I use my heads or the Fox Lake heads.

Hope all goes well, lets see how is first on the race to the 8s! you or Derek :p

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
AFAIK car is going for some changes so you may have time.

Just wanted to give you some little motivation, lol.

I need all of that I can get right now. Does it count that Im building two at once again? Haha

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
Ohh def following this. I want to get a big bore block pretty bad myself

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back