looking for reliable alternator brand

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Ok guys,

Thanks for your time. I'll do some extra thinking and let you know what route I will go.

I just bought me some extra time because the car is in the shop right now.
Hit the curb very gently yesterday during parking but hard enough to trash my Afco Heat Exchanger with fans :(
Coolingfluid came pooring out so I knew I was done driving.
Problem is that I have some extra high beams installed in the bottom grill and they were really close to the HE. So by touching that curb the bumper went back for maybe 3/4" but that seemed to be enough.
To save on costs I just hope that those fans can be tranfered to a regular Afco dual pass HE without fans because they are still working perfect.

and so the bad luck continues ...

Attachments

• WP_20170609_20_58_41_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170609_20_58_41_Pro.jpg
    486.6 KB · Views: 5
  • WP_20170609_21_53_47_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170609_21_53_47_Pro.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 7

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Philip,

OUCH !!!

Maybe the fans can be switched to the new cooler, hopefully.

I still remember when my foot slipped when I was in the garage and mine hit the steel roller cabinet.
That was a very costly Boo-Boo for me.
icon8.gif

Terry

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yep Terry, these things are sadly expensive and avoidable. But sh#t happens they say :) We've both had our shares buddy ;)

Maybe I can put it on my insurance because I have an All risk.
Only thing I don't understand is why the normal radiator, who is more in the back than the afco, was also going empty. Maybe that was just a lose hoose from scraping the curb???
Well, the shop will find out once it will be put on a lift.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep Terry, these things are sadly expensive and avoidable. But sh#t happens they say :) We've both had our shares buddy ;)

Maybe I can put it on my insurance because I have an All risk.
Only thing I don't understand is why the normal radiator, who is more in the back than the afco, was also going empty. Maybe that was just a lose hoose from scraping the curb???
Well, the shop will find out once it will be put on a lift.

image.php

Philip,

Oh I can say for sure we have definitely shared some of the same experiences with our Mustangs.
icon8.gif
icon8.gif
icon8.gif

Including Failures and vendor issues in general.
icon9.gif

Post up when you get it all once again repaired.

icon4.gif
I have owned a lot of Corvettes over the years and man did they quickly teach me on pulling frontwards to park.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Terry, do you have a Afco with dual fans for your roush?
Philip,

Let me go back and see if I can locate what's on mine.
So many items have been changed over and over it's hard for me now to recall exactly what's on it.

Below are pictures of my complete cooling system components:

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-8c607-msvt.html

I think I just found the pictures where George is installing the Up-Graded {Intercooler}.

LastMajorChangetotigermachineSept2011Back-UpFolder180.jpg

LastMajorChangetotigermachineSept2011Back-UpFolder181.jpg

LastMajorChangetotigermachineSept2011Back-UpFolder182.jpg

I did stumble on a few pictures of the PA 130 Amp Alternator.

Philip,

I finally found the invoice for what I have.
It's the Saleen Extreme Heat Exchanger W/Fans 05/09 Mustangs.

http://www.brenspeed.com/10-2000-a18000.html

I now remember that I went with the Saleen system simply because I had the Saleen S/C with the Super-Shaker option.

If I did not have the Saleen I'm sure I would have gone with the Afco unit !!!

P4170188.jpg

P4170182.jpg

P4170177.jpg

Saleen Heat Exchanger upgrade kits !!! Thats right the wait is over! Saleen has finally let us know that they are ready to start taking orders on their Heat Exchanger upgrade! This kit comes on the 2008 Saleen Extreme S302 Mustangs. In testing at Saleen they noticed temperature differences of nearly 40 degrees under extreme heat soak conditions. This can mean up to 40 HP while at these higher temps! Everyone knows that after you drive your car around for a while and get it up to operating temperature, especially on a warm day, that the power band will drop and a noticeable difference in power is felt. The exact opposite, on a cool day your going to see much lower supercharger coolant temperatures and make more power! The idea of the Updgrade kit is to keep you from those heat soak conditions and giving your supercharged mustang that monsterous power band all the time! The Heat exchanger upgrade kit comes complete with a Heat exchanger that is 58% larger than the stock unit!! This is over twice the size of your factory heat exchanger allowing more air to pass through and cool the superchargers fluid. Not only is the size of the heat exchanger improved but Saleen has also added dual cooling fans! These fans are great for in tracffic and quick cool down situations. They are not too big so they don't cover enough surface of the heat exchanger to block air from flowing through when you have a clear path for air flow. This larger, more efficient unit, with dual cooling fans is only part of the reason why this upgrade kick is so great. To help move more coolant through this massive heat exchange Saleen has also included an upgraded intercooler pump! This pump is a varialbe speed water pump that is preprogrammed by Saleen. Its actually able to increase or decrease the voltage to change the speed of the pump! EMP is the manufacturer and with a simple download software and cable you can program the pump to flow at whatever rate you want!! Im waiting on exact specs from Saleen on where they set their pumps when they leave the factory, all was able to find out was that it is at a much higher volume rate than the Bosch pump supplied with the standard kit! The ability of this pump to flow more fluid and move it quicker through the system means your going to increase your chances of keeping your car at a much lower coolant temperature! These kits come complete with Hoses, Brackets, Hardware, and installation instructions. Not a thing is missed in this kit, A complete wiring harness is also included to run the new dual cooling fans and EMP intercooler pump! These kits have been introduced by Saleen speedlab at a price of $1399.99. I have heard through a very reliable source that this is just and introductory price and will be raised to $1499.99 some time in the near future.

Read more at: http://www.modularfords.com/threads/107415-Saleen-Heat-Exchanger-upgrade-kits-!!!

Terry

Last edited:

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Tnx Terry,

Our setup is almost the same with the better cooling fan of the fluidyne radiator.
Only difference is I have the afco and you the Saleen. But I think the fans are pretty much the same.

Reason for asking was I really don't know if I need a 200amp Alt.
I wanted to have enough juice at idle to provide enough for the lights, the dual pump, heavier fan and the double fan of the afco.

So maybe that roush alt will do if it works for you.

I'll pass it on to the shop and let them decide :)

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tnx Terry,

Our setup is almost the same with the better cooling fan of the fluidyne radiator.
Only difference is I have the afco and you the Saleen. But I think the fans are pretty much the same.

Reason for asking was I really don't know if I need a 200amp Alt.
I wanted to have enough juice at idle to provide enough for the lights, the dual pump, heavier fan and the double fan of the afco.

So maybe that Roush alt will do if it works for you.

I'll pass it on to the shop and let them decide :)
Hey buddy trust me when I say if the PA 130 Amp alternator was not doing it's job.
It would have been long ago replaced !!!

It's still going Strong !!!

And I hope it continues to do so .............

Oh, like I said if I was not at the time already running the Saleen S/C I would have gone with the Afco for sure !!!

T.

Last edited:

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
They now advised me to go for a "powermaster" Alternator instead of the PA roush one.

They are supposed to be reliable and strong.

Anybody some experience with these ones?

dustyn83

Reaction score
Just don't consider the PA performance. I heard bad things about this Chinese-made alternator.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Well, the powermaster alt is in and the "check charging" warning is gone.

But this one also gives me the known P0345 & P0349 DTC's :(

The Previous PA performance did the same thing.
Sensor seems to be good since they swapped left and right to give them a try but the code stayed.

I can clear the DTC while driving and it only comes back when I restart the car. Engine sounds great while driving and at idle.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well, the powermaster alt is in and the "check charging" warning is gone.

But this one also gives me the known P0345 & P0349 DTC's :(

The Previous PA performance did the same thing.
Sensor seems to be good since they swapped left and right to give them a try but the code stayed.

I can clear the DTC while driving and it only comes back when I restart the car. Engine sounds great while driving and at idle.
Philip,

Well at least this new alternator is working !!!

What do those Codes stand-for ???

Just curious as I have never seen them .............

Seems strange to have codes with a new high output alternator that is working exactly as it should.

Personally I don't think I would want to have to constantly have to reset codes everytime I drove the Mustang.
icon13.gif

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
I do have the codes but NONE of the symptoms described. Except the check engine light.

The engine runs smooth and drives like it should.

It is a known code that can be caused by the alternator. Some alt seem to create a field that can interupt the camsensor.

Having the alt relocated (due to the supercharger) and being almost directly across the sensor won't do this any good.

There is already an extra ground from the engine to the chassis to rule out grounding problems.

And if truly was a camshaft error of somekind I would not stay away when I cleared the code with the engine running. I can drive 100 miles without it coming back. Only when I shut it down and restart the car.

So I am not worried about this but never the less I would like to solve it to get rid of that check engine light

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Philip,

Just so it does not really end up causing serious engine failure buddy.

Terry

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back