blowing water out of kb reservoir

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
I have a 07 gt with 2.6kb and 18psi toward the end of a WOT pull it blew water out of the kb reservoir enough to get on the windshield through the hood.

I pulled over and saw it was about half full and water pooled around the cap.

It seems water is pooled around the cap often.

I always run the thing full to the brim with water.

Any ideas whats going on? Im hoping its just a cap. blower oil seems uncontaminated.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
If it happens under boost you might have a leaking intercooler. I'm not sure how the fittings for the hoses are on those set ups. If there's an o-ring or something in there that can go bad. Hopefully the intercooler itself isn't cracked.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
If it's full to the brim you may just be over pressuring the system from the fluid expansion once the water/coolant warms enough

07 Boss

Reaction score
If it's full to the brim you may just be over pressuring the system from the fluid expansion once the water/coolant warms enough

I don't think it should be getting that hot where it is becoming steam. That is the only way it is going to build that kind of pressure. I run the reservoir on my Whipple all the way to the top. It is a KB though. I would get one of those radiator/cooling system pressure checker thingies and see if it holds.

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced the cap and it seems ok so far, but did only do it with boost. I know it's not getting that hot cause I can still touch the water

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW I run the reservoir an inch or so below the cap in my 04. I'm able to see the incoming stream of water when the pump is running. Is your pump still circulating the coolant?

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW I run the reservoir an inch or so below the cap in my 04. I'm able to see the incoming stream of water when the pump is running. Is your pump still circulating the coolant?

It looks like it is circulating. The water is all rippley in there with the pump on

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back