Exhaust Heat Wraps

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully within the month I'll be installing Longtube Headers in my V6. I've been kicking around the idea of wrapping them up in heat wraps that can be found on American Muscle, and the likes. It appears that wrapping them up is far easier to do before installing, so just trying to figure everything out before I begin this. I see that some use them and some don't, so those of you that do; did you find that the exhaust heat wraps were a good choice, or was it something that you could have done without?

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
for what it's worth i didn't wrap mine (v8, not that it matters for this) and i wish i did.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also FWIW, I've heard that wraps are generally a bad idea.

Apparently because of the way they hold the heat in, they cause the metal to deteriorate...something about leaching carbon from the steel, I dunno. Not sure if this applies to stainless steel or not but I'd do some research before you commit to the idea.

gavin.biegler

forum member
Reaction score
i meant it doesn't matter mine is a v8 and yours is a v6, they're going to get hot regardless. why i wish i had is because my entire engine bay gets super hot, even the footwell inside the car does sometimes.

01yellerCobra

forum member
Reaction score

Apparently because of the way they hold the heat in, they cause the metal to deteriorate...something about leaching carbon from the steel, I dunno. Not sure if this applies to stainless steel or not but I'd do some research before you commit to the idea.

I heard it was more because the wraps hold moisture. Moisture+metal=rust.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

So the Carbon Steel that's used to make Pacesetters might not fair well with being wrapped it sounds like?

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not from what I've heard, no. I saw some accounts of guys pulling off wrapped headers and having them literally just fall apart.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OP,

I see your speaking of your's being the six.
Once again what I'm going to say I don't think has anything to do with the engine being a six or eight.
I was going to have that done to mine to keep down heat in the engine compartment.
I was told NOT to have it done !!!

So, I listened and did not force the issue but I did not really inquire into why not have it done.
As I type this it seems to me that it was discussed with a Kooks Engineer and was told by that Engineer not to do it.

Terry

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
I heard it was more because the wraps hold moisture. Moisture+metal=rust.

this is what i've heard as well.

that being said. I have a couple of primary tubes that are wrapped on my '66 b/c of a clutch cable routing, but i've never taken it off to see what it looks like underneath.

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
OP,

I see your speaking of your's being the six.
Once again what I'm going to say I don't think has anything to do with the engine being a six or eight.
I was going to have that done to mine to keep down heat in the engine compartment.
I was told NOT to have it done !!!

So, I listened and did not force the issue but I did not really inquire into why not have it done.
As I type this it seems to me that it was discussed with a Kooks Engineer and was told by that Engineer not to do it.

Terry

Good info. Looks like something that isn't needed. Thanks guys.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Another option, for cooling your header(s), is ceramic coating...pretty cheap and much easier than wrapping. Might want to look into it...JMO.

94_cobra

forum member
Reaction score
Ceramic coating is probably a better alternative and maybe not much more $

travelers

Reaction score
I have mine on the '11 ARHs with ceramic coating from Swain Coatings which is a little pricey but good.

dustyn83

Reaction score
Just curious here if exhaust wrap can provide some performance gain or is it for looks only?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back