Just about had enough...

tazzracing1

forum member
Reaction score
I agree with punishing the offending party, I'm new here a check the for sale section alot. The bad seller section would also be a great idea.

1FastS197

Reaction score
i understand, i always check out someone before i buy from them... and i hope everyone does it with me... i know if i say i will do something i will do it.. but the other person more than likely doesn't know me from Adam... all i can help with is if you are buying something USE the itrader feedback.... that tells a lot about someone...

08gt4u

forum member
Reaction score
Doc I also would hate to see the FS section shut down as I have used it for several purchases and sales. The way I see it is it's not the admin and mods job to police the section, you guys have enough to do just keeping the board going. The only way I can see to keep it open is to put a big disclaimer sticky and warn everyone that they are on their own and S197Forum is not responsible for anything involved in the transactions. This would allow the honest members to still buy and sell but make all of us extra vigilant about the truthfulness of the sellers.

You can't keep the crooks and thieves out, it's just not possible, so to me the only choice is to either shut it down or completely disown the FS section.

i agree with this as well.this is why paypal charges you a fee too.if not take it up with you cc but the admins shouldnt worry about this.i would sticky a bad seller and good seller section in the for sale part plus the itrader that we allready have.if someone deals with someone with a - itrader and a bad comment on the bad seller you are on your own.one thing extra that can be added is that after payment is send you have 72 hours to ship and send a confirmation number if not then the person should get ban from the board no questions asked after proof is shown of such payment.ofcourse this will have the admins involved too so i dont know if a new admin should be added just to handle this type of things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big50

forum member
Reaction score
I would hate to see anything happen to this section. I only joined this forum 3 months ago and have sold 3 items that i was not able to sell elsewhere. I only had 1 post at the time as well. They all sold very quickly and the buyers were great.

As to low ballers I don't see the problem. Just tell them no. I know i have seen parts in the past that i have made offers that are low. It's not that I am trying to screw anybody, it's that the part is usually a nice to have for me and it's not worth it to me to spend more at the time. I don't think anybody should take it personally unless the low baller is a dick. Although, I do take issue when lowballers try and use some bs logic as to why the part is only worth that.

People who buy should always know they are doing it at their own risk. It's the internet and you are counting on someone doing the right thing. It's not guaranteed.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
On the supporting comment that seems a bit futile. Spend $10 to steal $100? Pretty profitable odds for someone so inclined.

True but a supporting member would less likely rip people off, they have a bit more invesment in the success of the forum. Heck raise the price of the membership?, or make it an annual fee.
Better yet, make it extra to sell, but you must give your personal information (Name address ecxt.) to the Mod for siging up to sell on the board.

Maybe there should be a moderator who is assigned to just the FS section? this would allow the admins and mods to deal with other things. Just some ideas.

Frankly a majority of the issues are miss understandings or real mistakes.
and we are all human and make mistakes.

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree^^ MAybe have one person assigned to just the classified's. That free's up the existing admin's and mods to not have to deal with the BS in the classifieds all the time..

kbchevlvr

forum member
Reaction score
I would hate to see anything happen to this section. I only joined this forum 3 months ago and have sold 3 items that i was not able to sell elsewhere. I only had 1 post at the time as well. They all sold very quickly and the buyers were great.

As to low ballers I don't see the problem. Just tell them no. I know i have seen parts in the past that i have made offers that are low. It's not that I am trying to screw anybody, it's that the part is usually a nice to have for me and it's not worth it to me to spend more at the time. I don't think anybody should take it personally unless the low baller is a dick. Although, I do take issue when lowballers try and use some bs logic as to why the part is only worth that.

People who buy should always know they are doing it at their own risk. It's the internet and you are counting on someone doing the right thing. It's not guaranteed.

negotiations are all part of it. there are many reasons to "low ball", however the main one i can think of is... and my personal rule when buying, a used part is almost always never worth more than 1/2 of its price new. but thats me. in the end, the seller has 100% control of what he agrees too.

racerxdetroit

forum member
Reaction score
I love this for sale section, I have bought many items in the 7 months I have been on the board. Me for one money is to hard to come by and to get fucked buy some ass hole is unacceptable, Dont mess it up for us honest people on here!!

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
....... we should try to enforce a post count and/or time limit. Whichever is longer. .....

Idea - post count/time limit before someone can post an ad
Comment - we just had a user that has been on the board since October 2007 with a post count of nearly 500 fuck someone. So just exactly how long should they be on the board and how high of a post count should they have before they are allowed to use the Classifieds?

How about you have to have a certain amount of posts before buying or selling in the Classifieds?
Running a little behind today are ya?

Maybe set up a bad seller/bad buyer thread? Sometimes the iTrader doesn't tell the whole story.
Post your deals gone bad here STICKY

The only way I can see to keep it open is to put a big disclaimer sticky and warn everyone that they are on their own and S197Forum is not responsible for anything involved in the transactions.

You mean like the STICKY that is at the top of all the Classified forums already?

SonicBlur

]V[EGADET]-[
Reaction score
Wood Dale/Schaumburg, Illinois. Near Chicago
There is no way to protect people here 100%. This is how it is, as unfortunate as that may be. People who buy and sell here need to be a little smarter and treat every sale here as a potential scam. The iTrader rating system is excellent but like anything in life, it is easy to bypass and scam. You have to use your brain here, and like someone said earlier, "If it's too good to be true, it probably is."

Don't just assume that this problem is only ours here in our small little area of the vast internet. This kind of stuff happens on every forum every where. It also happens in the real world, not just on forums. It is an unfortunate part of the buying and selling system here. Our ONLY defense is COMMON SENSE.

I love the classifieds and hope they stay, and whether people keep scamming or not shouldn't be the administrator's problem. It's between you and the other person. If the deal you are involved in just doesn't feel right, then bail out. No one will fault you for being skeptical when a guy with 2 posts is selling a GT500 complete engine, trans, and ecu for $1,500 just "doesn't add up." Use your brain, and prepare yourself for a potential issue on every sale. Closing the classifieds will only hurt the people who use them legitimately and honestly. Scammers will just go somewhere else and then we all lose.

-Mike

Last edited:

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe there should be a moderator who is assigned to just the FS section? this would allow the admins and mods to deal with other things. Just some ideas.

I agree^^ MAybe have one person assigned to just the classified's...

So what exactly is this section moderator going to do? I don't quite think you guys understand.

Here is the "basic" scenario. User A posts a thread in the Classifieds. User B makes a deal with him. User B sends the money (however the hell he ends up doing it). User A either never replies back to User B once user B has sent the money, or User A sends something completely different than what he advertised (either wrong part, or missing parts from the package).
User B reports the transaction, gives negative iTrader feedback, and an automatic email is sent to all admins and mods. At that point... someone (usually either myself or Dave) will chase down the transaction, send a PM to the seller, and try to help mediate.

Now that you understand basically what happens, I ask again. What would this section moderator do to keep people from screwing someone?

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Now that you understand basically what happens, I ask again. What would this section moderator do to keep people from screwing someone?

Trace the guy's IP address and send a hitman.

Or get everyone on here to launch a denial of service attack to his IP. That'll teach 'em.

Seriously...just give me the guy's IP address from the http logs. I'll take care of the rest.

Last edited:

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So what exactly is this section moderator going to do? I don't quite think you guys understand.

Here is the "basic" scenario. User A posts a thread in the Classifieds. User B makes a deal with him. User B sends the money (however the hell he ends up doing it). User A either never replies back to User B once user B has sent the money, or User A sends something completely different than what he advertised (either wrong part, or missing parts from the package).
User B reports the transaction, gives negative iTrader feedback, and an automatic email is sent to all admins and mods. At that point... someone (usually either myself or Dave) will chase down the transaction, send a PM to the seller, and try to help mediate.

I hear ya..^^ Not much anyone can do. It really is buy/sell at your own risk, as it should be, which is why I use iTrader as much as possible. Is the forum legally obligated to even get involved? IMO, its a national forum, you shouldnt even have to mediate anything. Now if its a local club, thats a different story, just meet them personally and figure it out. Most guys know each other on a personal level anyway.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
What would this section moderator do to keep people from screwing someone?

can't. Has to be buyer beware. It's the buyer's responsibility to do everything in their power to check out the seller, not the forums. If you buy something and get fucked, well, ya got fucked. It's not something the forum can protect us from.

I'd do a post minimum, and a hall of shame sticky and be done with it. I buy alot of stuff here. I also know there is a chance I'll get screwed. I factor that in to my buying decisions. I know guys bitch about people low balling, but taking into account the fact that you may get screwed has to be part of your buying decision on price and who the seller is.

Everyone who posts something for sale gets a PM stating the disclaimer. First time anyone comes to the classifieds section has to read through the rules for admittance and agree to them prior to admission.

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

IMHO, I think you should get rid of the automatic email to all the admins and mods. You shouldn't have to mediate anything. The buyer and seller should resolve it however they can. They took the risk. You aren't responsible for that.

I've only had one bad transaction here and was surprised to get an email from a moderator shortly after leaving negative feedback on iTrader. But I did not ask, nor did I expect for anyone here to resolve it for me. I used Paypal for that and was satisfied with the outcome, but even if I wasn't, I wouldn't expect the admins or mods to resolve it.

Just let people fend for themselves. If there's blatant thievery, ban the thief so they can't steal from anyone else.

:2cents:

Bkid

forum member
Reaction score
My 02 cents is we all look out for one another. Yea it sounds a bit kumbaya,seriously though REDFIRE GT asked me about a seller and I told him to watch out. This type of word to word publicity about other sellers should keep most of the bullshit out. That and if someone is selling in your area and you know them look out for your friends here. Someone fucks someone on this forum in my area just let me know , I will fix that shit real quick. That is just me though. I know others will not go for this mainly because they just look out for themselves. It all boils down to values and morals . People get some!
This section is what keeps me coming around this forum. With out it I am not so sure I would hang out much.

Ken04

gm troll basher
Reaction score
That would be just one more STICKY that people don't read:angry1:

not much you can do about that. Human nature and all,,, It's not your responsibility to watch out for everyone, a fair amount of nannying is good, for the good of the forum and us members. But all 6 of my kids, I told em all; "my job as your parent (mom is a drunk) is to do my best to get you to adulthood. After that, you're on your own". I will always love them, worry about them and try to help them, but you can tell them a million fucking times how to do something, and they still want to try it their way. Just like I did when I was a kid. So at some point ya gotta let em go out into the world and learn their own way through life.

blackgt09

forum member
Reaction score
i originally joined here becuase of the classifieds section then found myself lurking in other areas and have learned a ton this is one if not the best forum for buying/selling parts for our cars id really hate to see this section disapear

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back